If you have suffered an injury due to the negligence of a truck driver, contact the Los Angeles truck accident lawyers of Bisnar Chase at (323) 238-4683.
Semi-truck collision victims may be entitled to compensation for any related damages, injuries, or losses. The Personal injury Law Firm of Bisnar Chase has sustained a 99% success rate, winning millions in recovery for our injury clients.
When you call our LA offices, you will receive a free case analysis with a top-rated legal team expert.
LA Truck Collision FAQs
The level of compensation a victim could receive will always vary from case to case. It can depend on the insurance coverage of the trucking company, as well as your own coverage. But it will also depend on factors such as the severity of the crash, how bad the victim’s injuries are, their medical expenses, lost wages, and level of suffering.
The experienced Los Angeles truck accident lawyers of Bisnar Chase have a long and successful track record in dealing with trucking companies, as well as their attorneys and stubborn insurance firms. We understand the serious challenges our injured clients and their families face physically, financially and emotionally after a crash. Call (323) 238-4683.
California is a comparative law state which means that even if you were partly responsible for an accident you can still file for compensation. The amount of compensation you would receive will be based on how much of the collision you were accountable for.
Actions To Take After a Los Angeles Truck Collision
The steps that an injury victim takes following an incident can be vital later on in their truck accident case. A truck accident attorney will be able to guide you through the correct measures to take after a collision.
The initial steps you take could include:
- Seek medical attention. This is important and should be done as soon as you can. Semi-trucks are larger and heavier than smaller vehicles, which makes truck accidents highly dangerous. A crash involving a big rig could be deadly. Getting immediate medical help will ensure that a crash victim’s injuries are treated quickly. It will also make sure that those injuries are documented and help strengthen a later injury claim.
- Document the scene. It is helpful to have photos or videos of the scene of the accident. Take photos and notes of everything if possible, including the scene, road, and vehicle damage.
- Get witness statements. If possible, also acquire the information of any witnesses to the crash, as well as their contact information. Call the police and make sure a report is filed as well. A copy of this report can be requested later and will provide proof of important facts.
- Contact a Los Angeles truck crash lawyer for expert help. Our dedicated team is passionate about doing everything possible to ensure that victims and their families have access to the help and support they need through these challenging times.
Determining Fault In Your LA Truck Crash
When it comes to the aftermath of an accident, truck crashes are often more complicated than other auto incidents.
As well as having to deal with the driver of the semi, truck accident victims may have to negotiate with the truck owner, the trucking company, and all insurance companies associated with the potentially liable parties.
Individuals and corporations that may be named in a truck accident lawsuit include the driver, the manufacturer of the truck, the manufacturer of truck parts, the truck owner, the company that leased the truck from the owner, and the company responsible for maintaining or loading the truck.
It is all too common for these potentially liable parties to deny responsibility and refuse compensation for victims. This is where an experienced Los Angeles truck accident attorney comes in.
Filing a Truck Crash Claim in Los Angeles
Crashes involving large trucks can be extremely dangerous and have devastating consequences. Truck accident claims can be complicated, and many injured accident victims take the first offer they are given right away. Do not accept a settlement offer unless you are confident that all of your losses are adequately covered. This is why it is important to hire a high-quality truck accident lawyer in Los Angeles.
Trucking companies will look to protect themselves at all costs. As a result, if you are involved in a collision with a commercial vehicle, you might end up battling for fair compensation against expensive attorneys and insurance adjusters who will do anything to avoid paying up. This is not a fair fight.
Another step you must take when making a claim through your insurance company is reviewing your policy. Are you insured in the event that an at-fault driver does not have insurance? Will the compensation that you are being offered cover the extent of your damages? If you are not confident in your knowledge when filing a claim, seek advice from a personal injury lawyer.
Economic & Non-Economic Damages
When claiming damages in a personal injury lawsuit, you need to keep in mind not only the monetary losses you have experienced, but also the physical and emotional challenges you have faced because of the truck accident. The key difference between economic and non-economic damages is in measurement.
Economic damages are measured in what you have lost in a financial sense. This can include vehicle wreckage, medical bills, round-the-clock-care, and lost wages. Non-economic damages may not be as easily identified. It can be difficult to measure pain and suffering, but this is not impossible.
There are ways to aid you in winning compensation for your suffering and mental anguish. Some ways that you can prove emotional suffering include a family member or friend testimonial, testimonies from people that you work with, or documents from a mental health professional stating that you are suffering.
Out of State Guidelines for a Semi-Truck Wreck
If you were injured in a state other than California, receiving compensation for your accident may be challenging, but not impossible. One of the most important aspects of an accident that is out of state is which state it occurred in and what their policy for fault is. For example, the state of Alabama operates under pure contributory negligence
Pure contributory negligence states that if one driver was even 1% at fault for a collision they cannot file a claim for compensation. Only a few states operate under pure contributory negligence; these areas include Alabama, Maryland, District of Columbia, Virginia and North Carolina.
Common Causes of Los Angeles Truck Accidents
Some of the most common causes of Los Angeles truck accidents include:
- Driver Error: Drivers who fail to operate their truck carefully put everyone on the roadway in harm’s way. All road users need to drive safely, but truck drivers can cause more damage than most if they do not drive carefully at all times. Speeding, running red lights and making unsafe turns or dangerous lane changes are common examples of truck accident causes involving negligent drivers. Truckers are to follow the proper safety regulations to keep everyone, including themselves, hazard-free on the road.
- Driver Fatigue: Driving while fatigued or drowsy can be very dangerous. In order to reduce the number of fatigued driving accidents, the federal government restricts the hours of service drivers can work without rest. For example, property-carrying truck drivers can only drive for 60 hours over 7 consecutive days before having to take 34 hours off for rest.
- Speed: Truck drivers must adjust their speed relative to roadway conditions, traffic congestion, and the weight of the cargo they are hauling.
- Maintenance: Drivers must perform a thorough inspection before getting behind the wheel. When a truck part failure leads to an accident, it must be determined if there was a failure to replace a worn-down part, or if it was originally a defective part. Trucking companies are also required to keep vehicle records that show when parts were replaced or when vehicles were serviced.
- Improperly loaded cargo: Driving a truck that has improperly-loaded cargo can be challenging. Too much weight in the front, back or side of tractor trailer can make it difficult to maneuver or brake. Improper loading could result in jack-knifing accidents.
Truck Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in a one-year sample there were 4,067 people killed and about 116,000 people injured in crashes involving vehicles from the trucking industry.
Across the United States, an estimated 433,000 large trucks were involved in police-reported traffic crashes annually.
Do Big Rig Collisions Occur Often in Los Angeles?
Motor vehicle collisions frequently occur in LA County. Data collected from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health stated that 604 vehicle crashes resulted in deaths just in one year.
Below are just a few of the many truck accident cases that took place in the county of Los Angeles.
- Wilmington semi-truck accident leaves 2 dead: Around 10:00 a.m., two people were killed instantly in a truck collision near the intersection of Pacific Coast Highway and Alameda Street. The car collided into an 18-wheeler and local authorities stated that both the passenger and driver died at the scene of the incident.
- Lamborghini and Mercedes crash on 101 Freeway: Two cars (a Mercedes and Lamborghini) crashed into an Amazon truck at 2:30 a.m. The accident took place on the 101 freeway near Alvarado Street. Both of the drivers exited the cars and fled the scene of the incident, but were suspected to be injured due to blood being found on the ground.
- Two 18-wheelers collided lead to freeway shutdown: Two 18-wheelers collided into each other in a crash that took place at 3:00 a.m. The accident occurred on the 5 freeway and left a serious amount of wreckage in the area. Some of the wreckage left on the road included organic acid which led to the shut down of the freeway until it was properly cleaned.
Preparation for Meeting A Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer
When you meet with a personal injury lawyer, bring any notes and evidence which pertain to your truck accident.
It is important that your lawyer is able to review photos and video footage from the scene, as well as written statements and witness accounts if you have them.
Be sure to include medical bills and proof of treatment if possible, as well as a copy of the police report if you have obtained one from the LAPD.
The more evidence you provide, the stronger the case your truck accident lawyer will be able to build.
Why Choose Our LA County Accident Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been involved in a trucking accident – either in Los Angeles or further afield – the expert truck accident lawyers of Bisnar Chase can help.
Our firm has been helping road crash victims for 43 years . We have an outstanding 99% success rate, collecting more than $700 million for our clients.
Our highly-skilled team of personal injury attorneys excels in taking on tough cases such as wrongful deaths, car collisions and motorcycle incidents. We are passionate about providing superior representation while seeking the compensation and justice our clients deserve.
Call now on (323) 238-4683 or click to contact us for a free consultation.