San Bernardino Truck Accident Lawyers
If you've been involved in a truck accident contact our San Bernardino truck accident lawyers for a free consultation and to protect your rights. We've represented no-fault drivers for over 35 years and have over $200M in settlements and verdicts. Our approach is driven by trust, passion, and results for our clients.
There are many potential causes of a truck accident and having a basic understanding of what causes truck accidents can help you avoid being involved in a collision. In general, it is in the best interest of all motorists to keep a safe distance from tractor-trailers and to drive defensively around big rigs. If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, it is also important that you contact a San Bernardinio Personal Injury Lawyer so that you can understand what your legal rights and options are. Call 909-253-0750
Examples of Driver Negligence Throughout San Bernardino
Truck accidents may be caused by negligence on the part of a truck driver or other drivers. Here are some of the most common types of driver negligence we see in the most serious San Bernardino truck accidents:
- Drunk driving: All commercial drivers in California are considered over the legal limit if they have a blood alcohol concentration of .04 percent. Driving a large truck while under the influence is extremely dangerous and it can have catastrophic consequences.
- Speeding: Truck drivers must not only obey the speed limit, but also adjust their speed according to the cargo they are hauling, roadway conditions and traffic flow. Tailgating is also a common practice among truckers, which can be extremely dangerous. A common type of accident that occurs is a large truck rear-ending a passenger vehicle because the truck driver was traveling at an unsafe rate of speed or was following too closely and could not stop in time to avoid a collision. Such rear-end accidents often result in catastrophic injuries or fatalities.
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers should never take their eyes off the road, their hands off the wheel or their focus off the task at hand, which is to drive their truck safely. Distracted driving is a common cause of injury accidents and distracted truck drivers have been linked to a number of tragic accidents. Common examples of distracted truck driving include talking on the cell phone, texting, using a laptop or reading while driving, eating or drinking or using other communication devices.
- Dangerous lane changes: It is crucial that truck drivers only change lanes when it is safe to do so. Truck drivers must use their signals and they must check their rear-view and side-view mirrors multiple times before changing lanes.
- Fatigued driving: Drowsy driving is a serious problem on our roadways. Truck drivers who have worked long hours and feel drowsy should pull over and rest. Drivers who attempt to push through fatigue to meet a deadline put everyone on the roadway at risk.
- Unsafe turns: Tractor-trailers have to make wide and slow turns. It is crucial that they only attempt a turn when there is no oncoming traffic and when vehicles are not so close to them that they will be crushed under the trailer. It is also important that all truck drivers obey traffic control devices such as stop signs and traffic lights. Truck drivers must not only look for other larger vehicles, but also for bicyclists and pedestrians especially at street intersections when they are about to turn.
Lack of Vehicle Maintenance On Older Cars Throughout San Bernardino
All truck drivers must inspect their vehicles before every trip. It is particularly important to check the truck's brakes, lights and tires. When the brakes are worn or defective there is the potential for the trailer to swing out of control or jackknife. When the lights are not working properly, the truck may not be visible to other motorists when it is dark outside. When the tires are worn or faulty, there is the potential for a tire blowout, which can also cause the truck to go out of control.
Improperly Loaded Cargo Traveling Through San Bernardino
When the trailer is loaded incorrectly, it can cause the truck to easily veer out of control. These types of accidents may involve a runaway trailer or a jackknife accident. In either case it must be determined who failed to properly inspect the trailer and who was responsible for the way the cargo was loaded.
If you have been injured in a collision with a big rig, the experienced San Bernardino truck accident lawyers at Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys can help you better understand your legal rights and options. We will put more than three decades of experience to work for you and fight for your rights every step of the way. Please contact us to schedule a free, comprehensive and confidential consultation. Call 909-253-0750