If you have been injured in a car crash, contact our Los Angeles car accident lawyers now for a no-obligation, free consultation to see if you have a personal injury case for both physical injuries and property damage.
Protecting your rights and securing financial compensation
At our Los Angeles car accident law firm, we understand the challenges faced by victims of accidents. Our team of experienced trial attorneys is dedicated to helping you navigate the complex legal process and secure the compensation you rightly deserve. We have a proven track record of success, having recovered millions in settlements and verdicts for our clients.
Even a minor fender bender can cause injuries, while a high-impact car crash in LA can cause catastrophic damage. Time is of the essence since California has a strict 2-year statute of limitations to file a personal injury car accident lawsuit.
What to ask car crash lawyers in Los Angeles
Make sure you choose an accident attorney who is both trustworthy and transparent. When meeting a potential lawyer, consider the following questions to ask your attorney:
1. How many years of experience do you have as a car accident lawyer?
2. Have you handled any cases similar to mine?
3. What is your success rate in winning car crash cases?
4. How will you investigate my case?
5. How often will I be updated on the status of my case?
6. What are the likely outcomes of a case like mine?
7. What are the risks involved in taking my case to court?
8. How much will hiring you as my car accident lawyer cost me?
Car accident victims should contact Los Angeles personal injury lawyers for expert guidance. We offer a free initial consultation and promise a no win, no fee contingency basis. Call (323) 238-4683.
Top-Rated Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyer Steven Hilst
Partner and trial attorney Steven Hilst handles many of the motor vehicle accidents we handle in LA. Steve is a ferocious litigator with decades of experience beating defense teams and insurance companies. His passion for injury victims is unmatched.
Not only does he handle motor vehicle accidents caused by negligence, but he has recovered millions for plaintiffs injured by a dangerous auto defect in their car.
Car Accident Lawyer Los Angeles
No Win, No Fee Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyer
At Bisnar Chase, we offer a ‘No Win, No Fee’ guarantee to our clients. This means you don’t pay any fees or costs until we win or settle the case. When we win a verdict, most of the money goes to the client, with a pre-agreed percentage going to the law offices.
All costs are advanced, including court filing fees, securing police and medical reports, expert witness and investigator fees, and much more. The advanced costs include all reasonable measures required to win your case.
Our ‘No Win, No Fee’ promise provides financial protection to clients. If you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid. Working on contingency is important to us because it allows people of all means to use our services. To see if you have a case, call our Los Angeles car accident attorneys today.
Los Angeles Car Accident Claim Legal Process
The first step for LA car crash victims would be to contact our law firm by phone, email, or website live chat. We offer a free consultation to every client, giving you the opportunity to discuss your case with us. Our experts will be able to give you general advice on your potential lawsuit, helping you to make an informed decision on your next step.
If you choose to retain us, we will file a car accident lawsuit on your behalf against one or more defendants, depending on the circumstances of your case. We pride ourselves on providing our clients with superior representation.
To us, superior representation means building the strongest case possible and fighting for the plaintiffs in settlement negotiations or trials to get the best verdict possible. But it also includes building strong attorney-client relationships and keeping you informed every step of the way.
Get a better idea of the process by using our interactive motor vehicle case timeline tool, and do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you have.
What is Your Los Angeles Car Crash Claim Worth?
The worth or value of your personal injury claim will depend on the nature and extent of your car accident injuries and the types of damages and losses you have sustained. The more severe the damages and losses, the more your personal injury claims will be worth. Some of the elements that would determine the value of your claim include:
- Medical bills: This refers to any medical expenses you may have incurred in terms of emergency treatment, hospitalization, surgeries, the cost of medication, medical equipment, doctor bills, and rehabilitative therapy.
- Lost wages: If you lose income because you had to take days off work due to your injuries, then you can seek compensation for the wages you lost as you took time off to recover.
- Loss of earning capacity: If you have suffered a permanent injury or disability that prevents you from returning to your job or reduces your earning capacity, you can seek compensation for those losses, including lost future income.
- Noneconomic damages: Injured accident victims suffer not only physical pain but also mental anguish and emotional pain. Motor vehicle incidents are traumatic and can take a toll on victims. Any emotional distress can factor into compensation demands.
The Los Angeles auto accident lawyers of Bisnar Chase offer victims the best chance of securing the maximum possible compensatory awards in their case.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Charge in California?
Auto accident attorneys in California work on a contingency fee basis, which means they cover the costs of your case until it is settled. If the case is lost, the lawyers do not charge a fee unless the client specifically went against their advice, which negatively impeded or impacted the case.
Once the car crash lawsuit is settled through negotiations or a trial, the typical attorney fee is 33.3 percent of the amount won. Some cases could be more complex depending on the number of resources advanced in the case, such as evidence storage (defective cars), experts, witness travel, etc. Those are rather rare, and a typical case will be 33.3 percent.
Should I Hire an Injury Lawyer for a Minor Car Accident?
Whether you hire a lawyer for a minor traffic collision or not is entirely up to you, but studies show that hiring an attorney typically results in higher compensation for injured plaintiffs.
Because personal injury attorneys practice that area of law daily, they know tactics to maximize your financial compensation. Since there is no fee unless they win your case, you’re still likelier to walk away with more by using a car accident lawyer in Los Angeles for your accident than if you represent yourself.
Statistics done by the Insurance Institute of America show that people represented by an attorney recover more compensation and have a better outcome in their case. Leveraging their legal knowledge and experience, you will reduce the stress of handling the claim yourself. If you have suffered an injury and property damage, the assistance of a knowledgeable Los Angeles car crash lawyer can be vital in securing fair compensation.
If your injury required medical attention, caused you to be hospitalized, to miss work, or to seek physical therapy, your best bet is to work with a reputable personal injury law firm like Bisnar Chase.
How Long Does it Take to Settle a Car Accident Claim in California?
Some personal injury cases may be resolved quickly, while others may take longer, and your paralegal and attorney can keep you apprised of the deadlines.
Typically a claim will take a few months to a few years to settle, but a lot of that time will depend on how involved you, the defense, and the insurance companies are.
Other factors include:
1. Severity of the accident: The complexity of your accident and injuries can influence how long it takes to settle a claim. If the injuries are severe or the liability is disputed, it may take longer to negotiate fair settlements.
2. Medical treatment and recovery: If you’ve sustained injuries in the accident, the time it takes to settle the claim can depend on the duration of your medical treatment and recovery process. It’s often recommended to wait until you reach maximum medical improvement before settling the claim to ensure all medical expenses and long-term effects are considered.
3. Investigation and evidence gathering: Investigating the accident, collecting evidence, and determining liability can take time. This includes obtaining police reports, witness statements, and expert opinions.
4. Insurance company negotiations: Negotiating with insurance companies can be a time-consuming process. Insurance adjusters must evaluate the damages, review medical records, and assess liability before making a settlement offer to your attorney.
5. Legal proceedings: If the claim cannot be resolved through negotiation, it may proceed to litigation. In such cases, the timeline can be extended significantly as court procedures and schedules come into play.
If you are unsure if you qualify to file a vehicle accident insurance claim and are entitled to financial compensation, contact one of our Los Angeles car accident attorneys at 323-238-4683 for a free consultation. There is no obligation, and the advice is free.
How is Pain and Suffering Calculated in California for Plaintiffs?
Pain and suffering damages in a personal injury case are calculated based on various factors. These factors can include the extent and severity of the car accident injuries, the impact on the victim’s life and activities, the duration of the pain and suffering, and the overall effect on the individual’s physical and emotional well-being.
Unlike economic damages, such as medical expenses or lost wages, which can be calculated based on specific monetary amounts, pain and suffering damages are more subjective and can vary from case to case. There is no fixed formula or precise method for determining the exact value of pain and suffering.
Insurance companies and courts often consider the following factors when calculating pain and suffering damages:
1. Nature and severity of the injuries: The more severe and long-lasting the injuries, the higher the potential value of pain and suffering damages.
2. Medical documentation: Detailed medical records and expert opinions can provide evidence of the extent of pain and suffering endured by the victim.
3. Impact on daily life: The effect of the injuries on the victim’s ability to perform daily activities, work, or enjoy hobbies can influence the calculation.
4. Emotional distress: Emotional trauma, anxiety, depression, PTSD, and other psychological effects from the accident can be considered in determining the value of pain and suffering damages.
5. Comparative negligence: California follows the rule of comparative negligence, which means that if the injured party is found partially at fault for the accident, the pain and suffering damages may be reduced proportionally.
It is important to note that pain and suffering damages are often negotiated during settlement discussions between the injured party’s attorney and the insurance company or determined by a jury if the case goes to trial.
Consulting with an experienced car accident attorney in California is advisable to understand how these damages may be calculated in your situation.
Can You Sue Your Own Car Insurance Company in California?
Yes, in certain situations, you can sue your own insurance company. This type of legal action is generally known as a “first-party insurance claim” or a “bad faith insurance claim.” Here are a few scenarios where you may have grounds to sue your own insurance company:
1. Insurance bad faith: If your insurance company fails to fulfill its contractual obligations in bad faith, such as unreasonably denying or delaying your valid claim, undervaluing your claim, or failing to investigate your claim correctly, you may have a basis for a lawsuit.
2. Unfair claims settlement practices: California has specific laws and regulations regarding how insurance companies must handle claims. Suppose your insurance company violates these laws by engaging in deceptive practices, making false statements, or unfairly denying or minimizing your claim. In that case, you may be able to pursue legal action.
3. Breach of contract: If your insurance company breaches the terms of your insurance policy, such as by refusing to provide coverage for a covered event or failing to pay the total amount of a valid claim, you may have grounds to sue for breach of contract.
Some examples of reasons to go after your own insurance company are:
- Delay or denial of reimbursement without a valid justification.
- Failing to notice and respond to your claim.
- Not conducting a sufficient and in-depth inquiry into the claim.
- Attempting to resolve a dispute for a lower-than-fair sum without letting the insured know there is an appeals process.
- Failing to offer a plausible justification for a claim that has been rejected or underpaid.
- Requiring excessively onerous paperwork to process a claim.
- Employing aggressive investigation techniques to frighten the claimant.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in LA
Motor vehicle accidents are all too common across LA and can be caused by a vast range of potential factors. An experienced Los Angeles car accident lawyer can assist you, regardless of whether careless driving, a vehicle defect, or even a poorly planned road layout caused your crash.
Some of the most common car wreck causes in LA include:
- Driving under the influence: alcohol and drug-impaired driving
- Distracted driving: texting, making phone calls, checking social media, sending emails
- Auto defects and mechanical errors
- Sudden road hazards and dangerous road conditions
- Roadway departure
- Intersection-related, such as at-fault driver turning left across traffic
- Falling asleep at the wheel
- Rear endings
- Backup crashes
- Running stop signs and red lights
- Accidents involving trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, or pedestrians
- Other distracting activities or negligent actions
Superior Legal Representation Since 1978
Our experienced car accident attorneys in Los Angeles, including Long Beach have successfully represented those who have suffered serious or catastrophic injuries as a result of automobile crashes of all types.
Our goal in each and every case is to provide superior legal representation. We believe in offering quality customer service while helping injury victims and their families seek and obtain maximum compensation for their tremendous losses.
If you are unsure whether your case would qualify for your lawsuit or want to find out more about our services, contact the personal injury law firm of Bisnar Chase now.
Top Car Accident Locations in LA
Car crashes can happen anywhere. But there are some areas in LA that see more frequent automobile crashes than others. These LA motor vehicle crash hotspots might be particularly dangerous due to a high volume of traffic, a poor intersection layout, or the condition of the road itself.
LA is the fifth-most congested city in the entire United States, and several of the streets and freeways around the city struggle to deal with the volume of traffic on a daily basis. LA also sees its fair share of SUV and large commercial truck accidents.
Statistically, the most dangerous stretch of roadway in LA is the Sierra Highway. At just 3.5 miles in length, it has a greater rate of fatal car accidents per mile than any other route in the area. The I-405, the I-5, Route 118 and the I-710 also see a large number of collisions involving injuries and fatalities every year.
Dangerous surface streets in and around LA include Sherman Way, Sepulveda Boulevard, Victory Boulevard, Crenshaw Boulevard, and Adams Boulevard. Each of these areas has seen hundreds of car crash injuries over the last few years.
Steps to Take When Injured in a Car Wreck in LA
Suffering an injury in an LA car wreck can be traumatic and leave victims reeling. Follow these steps to secure your legal rights and boost your car collision claim after a no-fault car accident:
- File a police report and ensure you get a copy for your records.
- Get as much information as you can about other parties involved in the collision, including driver’s license, vehicle license plates, auto insurance policy information, contacts (telephone, address, e-mail), vehicle registration information, etc.
- Gather as much evidence as possible from the accident scene. Take photographs of vehicles and injuries. Get the contact information of any eyewitnesses. If you are unable to collect this information, request a family member or friend to do so, as this evidence can be critical.
- Seek and obtain prompt medical attention and treatment for your car crash injuries.
- Save all bills and receipts of expenses related to the accident and injury.
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Los Angeles who will help you understand your legal rights and options.
Common Injuries Suffered After a Car Accident
Automobile accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, varying in severity depending on the circumstances of the accident. Here are some common types of injuries that individuals may suffer in a car accident:
1. Whiplash: Whiplash is a neck injury caused by the sudden back-and-forth motion of the head, typically occurring in rear-end collisions. It can lead to neck pain, stiffness, headaches, and restricted range of motion.
2. Fractures and broken bones: The impact of a car accident can cause fractures or broken bones in various parts of the body, such as the arms, legs, ribs, pelvis, or skull.
3. Head injuries: Car accidents can result in head injuries ranging from minor concussions to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Head injuries can lead to cognitive difficulties, memory problems, sensory issues, and other long-term complications.
4. Back and spinal cord injuries: The forceful impact in a car accident can cause injuries to the back and spinal cord. These injuries can range from strains and sprains to herniated discs, spinal fractures, or even paralysis in severe cases.
5. Internal injuries: Blunt force trauma in a car accident can cause internal injuries, such as organ damage, internal bleeding, or punctured organs. These injuries may not always be immediately apparent and require medical attention.
6. Soft tissue injuries: Car accidents can result in damage to soft tissues, including muscles, tendons, and ligaments. This can lead to sprains, strains, bruising, and chronic pain.
7. Psychological injuries: Car accidents can have psychological effects on individuals, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, or other emotional distress.
Los Angeles Car Crash Statistics
Unfortunately, motor vehicle accidents are inevitable. A huge number of crashes occur every single day across Southern California.
Traffic collisions and auto accidents occur especially frequently in LA County. The facts and statistics below show how dangerous the LA roads can be.
The following figures are sourced from LA-specific stats recorded by the California Highway Patrol and Local Law Enforcement.
- L.A. traffic deaths rose in 2022, surpassing over 300 fatalities for the first time in two decades. Last year, there were 312 traffic collision-related deaths in LA, marking a 5% increase compared to the previous year and a 29% increase compared to 2020.
- According to the LA Times, the LA Police Department said the most dangerous intersections in 2022 are Soto Street, Washington Boulevard in South L.A., Florence and Vermont Avenues in South L.A., Balboa Boulevard and Saticoy Street in Lake Balboa, and Cahuenga Boulevard and Selma Avenue in Hollywood.
- From 2014-2020, there were more than 200,000 car wrecks in LA, California.
- In LA County, over 40,000 motor vehicle accidents were reported in 2019.
- In 2019, the LA County Sheriff’s Department reported over 1,000 fatalities due to car accidents.
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the leading cause of car accidents in LA County is distracted driving, accounting for nearly 25% of all accidents.
- According to the LA Police Department, drunk driving was a contributing factor in nearly 25% of all car accidents in 2019.
- According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, over 50% of all car crashes in LA County involve at least one driver under the age of 25.
- According to the California Highway Patrol, over 60% of all vehicle accidents in LA County were rear-end collisions.
- According to the California Highway Patrol, over 40% of all auto accidents in LA County involved at least one driver who was speeding.
- Pedestrians and cyclists are particularly vulnerable to auto accidents in LA.
- In 2019, the California Highway Patrol reported 248 pedestrian fatalities and 32 cyclist fatalities in LA County.
As the statistics show, motor vehicle crashes and injuries present a serious problem in and around LA, on both surface streets and freeways. But they are also a major issue across California and the rest of the United States.
- There are more than 6 million collisions involving cars on U.S. roads every year
- In excess of 3 million Americans suffer car crash injuries annually
- The state of California has the second-highest number of annual car crash fatalities (behind Texas)
- The annual economic costs of car incidents in the U.S. top $75 billion, including damage, medical costs and lost work hours
- The number of auto accidents in California has increased by nearly 30% since 2013
If you have been involved in a collision causing damage or injuries, our dedicated Los Angeles car crash attorneys can help you find justice.
Los Angeles Hit-and-Run Crashes
Hit-and-run accidents involve an at-fault driver leaving the scene of a crash and are against the law in California. Unfortunately, it is also fairly common in the LA area.
The LA Police Department reports that there are more than 20,000 hit-and-runs in LA every year, ranging from minor car collisions to catastrophic car accidents resulting in multiple fatalities. In 2018 alone, there were 54 deaths as a result of hit-and-run car crashes in Los Angeles.
Of the 100,000 hit-and-run cases reported across LA from 2014 to 2018, nearly a quarter involved a victim sustaining an injury, and only 16,000 arrests were made in connection with those crashes. Victims of hit-and-runs can often feel helpless because it is difficult to obtain justice in these cases.
Most common causes of hit and runs in LA County
1. No Valid Driver’s License: It is estimated that 2 out of 5 hit and run accidents are caused by unlicensed drivers.
2. Distracted Driving: Distractions such as using a cell phone or being otherwise inattentive while driving can lead to hit-and-run accidents.
3. Driving Under the Influence: Impaired driving due to alcohol and/or drugs is a significant factor in hit and run accidents.
4. Fear of Insurance Hikes: Many people flee the scene of an accident because they fear increases in their insurance premiums.
The sheer volume of traffic in Los Angeles contributes to the city’s high rate of hit and run accidents.
For the best chance possible of seeing justice done after a hit-and-run accident in LA, file a police report at the scene of the accident, seek medical care, and contact a Los Angeles car accident attorney at Bisnar Chase for help.
Serious Vehicle Accidents in Los Angeles
Motor vehicle crashes in LA can have wide-ranging consequences for those involved. Some automobile accidents result in injuries, while others lead to fatalities. Examples of auto crash incidents in 2019 include:
A woman died after a fatal crash involving two cars on Crenshaw Boulevard, LA. The 30-year-old victim was in her car at a complete stop when the other vehicle crashed into her in June 2019. Reports indicate that the fatal collision occurred at the intersection with 50th Street. The at-fault driver was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving.
Several victims were treated for serious injuries after a multi-vehicle crash on an LA freeway in August 2019. The crash took place on the Hollywood Freeway (CA-170), near the Victory Boulevard slip road. It involved a big rig and a pickup truck, as well as several cars. The major collision, which caused a serious oil spillage, left several drivers requiring treatment and forced police to close down the section of freeway.
Whether you have suffered injuries in a motor vehicle accident or have endured the tragic loss of a loved one due to a crash, you can contact our Los Angeles injury accident lawyers for help. Our law group serves clients of all circumstances and will give you the advice and support you need.
Negotiating with Insurance Companies Takes Skill
It is vital that all accident victims understand one key fact: the car insurance company is not your friend. You cannot trust an insurance adjuster to have your best interests at heart. Their loyalty is to their company’s bottom line, and they will look to settle an injury claim for as little as possible.
Sometimes, an insurance company may attempt to deny a valid claim. For this reason, you need a Los Angeles car accident lawyer on your side who is adept at negotiating and can achieve results. You need an advocate who will look out for your best interests and not rest until you have been adequately compensated. According to Tripple A’s recent study, the average settlement for an LA vehicle accident claim is $45,000.00. You do not want to attempt to settle the claim alone and leave money on the table.
Legal Strategies for Auto Accident Cases
At Bisnar Chase, our experienced injury lawyers in Los Angeles are expert negotiators who have settled a huge number of auto accident cases over 45 years in business.
But they are also highly respected trial lawyers who have the expertise to win your case in the courtroom if a settlement cannot be reached. It is important that you have a car accident lawyer representing you who will go the extra mile in your car accident case.
Los Angeles Car Accident FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
Below are just some of the most asked questions of our injury lawyers. If your questions are not answered here, please contact Bisnar Chase for more information.
Seek proper medical attention as soon as possible, and secure as much evidence as possible. Document your injuries and the crash scene, exchange details with any other drivers involved, and speak to witnesses. You should also contact a car accident attorney to discuss your case.
Every car accident varies. The potential compensation will depend on the circumstances surrounding the crash, as well as the injuries, suffering, and losses to the victim. Bisnar Chase has won hundreds of million for our clients.
It is always a good idea to have the maximum uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage you can afford to protect against this scenario. Without UIM insurance, it may still be possible to obtain compensation from an uninsured driver by taking legal action. Victims should contact a lawyer for help in assessing their options.
How can Bisnar Chase help me handle a Los Angeles car crash claim?
There are several factors that can lead to a road accident. Some factors, such as confusing road layouts, signal malfunctions, and auto defects could cause a single-vehicle crash with no driver fault. No matter the cause, you can contact a car accident attorney for advice on your next step.
You can contact your insurance company after being involved in a crash, but keep details to a bare minimum until you have consulted with an attorney. Make sure you have a lawyer working in your best interests to maximize your compensation.
The more information you can give a car accident attorney on your case, the better. Bring any evidence which will help your lawyer better understand the case, from photographs and incident reports to eyewitness testimonies.
Award-Winning Los Angeles Car Accident Attorneys Helping Injury Victims Rebuild Their Lives
Bisnar Chase is a highly-rated car crash law firm known for quality representation across Southern California. Our auto accident attorneys are certified trial lawyers and have handled countless lawsuits in LA, building on the firm’s outstanding 99% success rate.
Our firm has helped over 14,000 clients, winning over $800 million since launching in 1978. We can help you, too. If you have been the victim of a car wreck in or around LA, contact one of the best law groups, ranked #1 again and again by our legal peers, for a free consultation.
Supporting You Through the Aftermath
So much trauma is attached to being involved in a serious car crash, from disfigurement to long-term trauma. We understand just how difficult it would be to try and handle a car accident lawsuit on top of everything else you are going through.
Whether you were a passenger or the driver, you need experienced litigators on your side. We seek to uncover hidden information in your personal injury claim that will strengthen your case. We investigate all aspects of the motor vehicle accident, from reviewing city camera footage to determine what caused the crash to interviewing witnesses and deposing the defendant if necessary.
We will also take your case to court before a judge to get the best financial compensation, if necessary.
In the aftermath of an auto accident, it’s essential to have a knowledgeable and compassionate legal team by your side. Our attorneys are committed to helping you through this challenging time, providing guidance and support as you navigate the legal process.
Since car accident claims can be very complex, we put an entire legal team on your case, including the attorney, certified paralegals, and legal support team. Your win is our win.