If you’ve been injured in an plane crash or other commercial air carrier, contact the Los Angeles Aviation Accident Attorneys of Bisnar Chase. We’ve taken on some of the toughest cases that other Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorneys could not. We have the resources and funding to take some of the toughest cases with catastrophic injuries. Please contact our LA law offices at (323) 238-4683 for a free consultation on your personal injury claim.
Los Angeles Aviation Resources
Aviation Accident FAQs
In aviation cases, victims can claim recovery for medical bills, funeral costs, and lost wages. You can also claim non-economic damages such as pain and suffering.
Private plane owners are usually held responsible for an incident. Private planes do not have the same aviation law regulations that a commercial plane may have. These types of planes can be more dangerous than commercial plane accidents.
As a plane crash victim, you have the right to hire an attorney. At times, since there many people may be involved in an airplane incident, a class action lawsuit may be filed. The Los Angeles aviation accident attorneys of Bisnar Chase will help you secure the compensation you need to heal from this traumatic experience. For a free case analysis, call our law firm at (323) 238-4683.
Causes of Los Angeles, CA Aviation Accidents
Determining the cause of an aviation accident or a near crash that results in injuries can be complicated. When evidence is found proving a specific person or entity was responsible though, they owe it to the victim to pay for the damages.
The leading causes of aviation accidents include:
- Pilot error
- Defective equipment
- Poorly maintained equipment and faulty repairs
- Defective parts
- Airplanes with design defects
- Structural issues with the plane
- Fuel problems
- Mistakes made by federal air traffic controllers
In many instances, there is a combination of factors that lead to the accident. The NTSB is charged with investigating aviation accidents, but the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) often get involved in the investigation of large aviation accidents. In some cases, the plaintiffs and their attorneys conduct private investigations as well.
Types of Airplane Crashes
Commercial Plane Accidents
Private Plane Crashes
Plane Crash Statistics
Air travel is statistically safer than any other mode of travel. However, aviation accidents do occur and when they do, the results are often tragic and devastating. There is no such thing as a minor crash landing or an insignificant airplane crash.
These events are typically life altering. Aviation accidents could involve a mass carrier, a small private airplane or even a helicopter. It is crucial that victims and their families understand their legal rights and options in such cases.
According to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)
- There were 1,471 general aviation accidents in the United States in 2012, which resulted in 432 fatalities.
- There were 1,539 civil aviation accidents resulting in 447 fatalities.
Common Injuries in an LA Plane Accident
When a plane crashes, there is a high chance that there won’t be many survivors. If there are passengers who do come out alive, they may possibly suffer from physical and emotional trauma after the incident.
Survivors of aviation accidents often suffer from common injuries such as:
- Spinal cord injury: The types of fractures that many survivors suffer from after a plane crash can be cervical spine fractures, thoracic spine fractures, and lumbar fractures. There have also been incidents where a spinal cord has completely severed.
- Burns: Burn injuries can happen due to the explosive fuel that is ignited when the plane hits the ground. Some cases involve passengers suffering extensive burns. Treatment such as antibiotics and skin grafting is necessary for these injuries.
- Complete paralysis: There are two types of paralysis that a person can be a victim of; paraplegic and a quadriplegic. The spinal cord is severely compressed in an aviation accident. Recovery expenses can be costly, many may not have the means to pay for the treatment they need.
If you have lost a loved one or family member, the trial lawyers of Bisnar Chase have been representing those who have a wrongful death cases for over 40 years. You can obtain compensation for funeral bills and loss of future income for your aviation accident case, among other expenses. Contact our team of legal experts to find out what else you can be compensated for at (323) 238-4683.
Los Angeles Plane Crash Cases
Southern California has seen its share of airplane incidents. Many of these crashes included helicopter accidents, private plane crashes and commercial airlines. Our aviation attorneys have seen and handled a multitude of accident cases.
Some airplane crash fatalities that have taken place in the LA County area include:
- Van Nuys plane crashes in parking lot leaving two dead: Two people were declared dead at the scene of an aviation incident at the 7000 block of North Hayvenhurst Avenue in Van Nuys. Firefights hosed down the burning plane in the parking lot. Two cars were also damaged by the accident.
- One dead after plane plunges next to Hawthorne airport: A single-engine plane crashed in between Hawthorne airport and the 105 Freeway. Firefighters at the scene of the accident stated that there was only one person on board of the plane and was pronounced dead at the scene.
- Sylmar aviation accident involves a small plane crashing into hills: Firefighters and law enforcement found it difficult to investigate an aviation crash due to the tough terrain of the crash site. The small plane was in the hills above a Sunshine Canyon landfill. Two people were found dead.
An experienced LA plane crash lawyer who has obtained significant verdicts and settlements on behalf of injured clients and their families can make a big difference in your case.
Assistance for Families After a Plane Crash
The federal government provides support to aviation accident victims and their families in the event of a major airplane accident. Under the Aviation Disaster Family Assistance Act, the NTSB is responsible for assigning a nonprofit organization to coordinate services for the victims. That independent organization will help the victims and their families receive mental health services and grief counseling as well. They will also help the families of victims with travel arrangements and provide them with daily briefings regarding the investigation. They can even provide assistance in arranging a memorial service and identifying the victims.
Liability for Plane Crashes
An investigation into an aviation accident may not be resolved for several months. But the results of an investigation are crucial for victims’ families because it helps them find answers to nagging questions about what caused the injury or death of their loved ones. Injured victims or families of deceased victims can also file civil personal injury or wrongful death claims seeking compensation for their damages.
These claims may be filed against a negligent or at-fault party.
For example, if the crash occurred due to pilot error, a lawsuit can be filed against the pilot and his or her employer. If the accident occurred due to a defective airplane or faulty part, the manufacturer of the aircraft or the defective part can be held liable.
When mistakes made by air traffic control contribute to an accident, victims or their families may be able file a lawsuit against the FAA under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). In such cases, plaintiffs must show that the negligent or wrongful conduct of a federal employee led to the crash.
In cases where reckless conduct on the part of a pilot or an airline leads to serious injury or death, criminal charges may also be filed by the state and/or federal government.
The airlines involved in the crash are responsible for providing a number of services as well. The airline must establish a free phone number for the families of the victims. They must provide a list of all the passengers on the flight to the families before releasing the list to the public.
They must also notify families of deceased victims and assist them with room and board.
Contact our Los Angeles Plane Crash Lawyer
Bisnar Chase has experienced team of Los Angeles aviation accident lawyers that handles commercial plane accidents, private plane crashes, and suspicious helicopter accidents coming into or leaving LA. Many victims and their families know little about their own legal rights under these circumstances.
The avaitation accident attorneys of Bisnar Chase have been fighting for those who have been injured in catostrophic incidents for over 40 years.
For free legal advice, complete a contact form or call 323-238-4683.