If you are the victim of a slip and fall accident due to a property owner’s negligence, our Los Angeles slip and fall attorneys can represent you in your slip and fall lawsuit and ensure that your interests are protected.
As a victim, you should not have to bear the burden of medical bills for your serious injuries in the slip and fall case. The Los Angeles personal injury attorneys at the law firm of Bisnar Chase have been fighting for the compensation of accident victims for over 44 years. Our legal representation has won millions for those who have suffered due to careless actions. Talk to a slip and fall attorney in California about your slip and fall case by calling (323) 238-4683 for a free consultation.
Slip and Fall FAQs
This is a complex situation, but a house owner can be responsible for a slip and fall accident injury that occurred on their premises. If the injury took place on a rental property, depending on the lease agreement, the landlord can be held responsible for the dangerous conditions in your slip and fall lawsuit.
A property owner can be deemed at fault for a slip and fall case. Property owners have the duty to maintain their premises to keep visitors safe. Examples would be grocery stores, shopping malls, apartment buildings, private property, office buildings, private homes, uneven sidewalks, uneven pavement, inadequate lighting and parking lots.
There is not a standard amount that is given to each slip and fall victim. A number of factors play into how much a claimant will receive in a slip and fall case, such as the severity of the injuries. Schedule a free consultation with a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer for a slip and fall accident claim.
Causes of Los Angeles Slip and Fall Accidents
Trip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, but there are some accident scenarios that are more common than others. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration or OSHA, common causes of falls are:
- Oil, water, soap, and other liquids on walkways (wet floor)
- Loose doormats or rugs
- Ice, snow, or rain on sidewalks
- Dangerous shoes such as flip flops on hazardous terrain
- Walkways that are broken or need repair
- Very smooth floors or walkways that do not provide traction
- Poorly illuminated areas
Injuries from a Slip and Fall
The National Safety Council states that falls are the most common cause of emergency room treatment, and the Department of Labor estimates that the average fall on the job costs roughly $28,000 to treat. Since the slip & fall injuries from these accidents are so expensive and the slip and fall accidents themselves are so common, it is vital that victims choose experienced Los Angeles slip and fall lawyers to represent them in collecting damages in a slip and fall lawsuit.
- Head injuries: The CDC reported that around 2.87 million emergency room visits were related to brain injuries. Many of the victims of trip and falls are older adults. It is important, especially in nursing home facilities, that floors be kept dry and that staff always supervise the clients. If not, this can lead to a serious head injury such as a concussion or hematoma.
- Muscle strains: Strains can also be recognized as tears or pulls of the muscle. Tears and pulls are not only painful but can also damage joints and blood vessels. If the muscle strain is minor, it can usually be healed with at-home treatment. Serious tears can result in a slip and fall victim potentially requiring surgery.
- Hip fractures: More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling, usually by falling sideways. As a person ages, the chances of breaking a bone in this area are greater. Older adults can develop osteoporosis over time, so it is crucial to be screened early to avoid complications later.
Although slip & fall injuries often go unreported and untreated, it is wise to seek medical treatment immediately and speak to one of the best slip and fall attorneys in Los Angeles. We can help you recover fair compensation for your serious injuries.
Slip and Fall Costs, Risks
Slip and Fall Risk
Slip and fall accident risks can come from rain, snow, ice, unstable foundations and many other factors including failing to observe warning signs.
People Most Affected
Unintentional falls are the second leading cause of nonfatal injury for 10-24 year-olds.
Costs of Slip and Falls
CDC statistics show slip and fall injuries estimate $34 billion in medical costs every year.
What Happens After a Slip and Fall Accident in Los Angeles
Every case is different and the value of slip and fall claims will depend upon many factors, including the severity of injuries and the amount of medical care you received. An experienced Slip and Fall Lawyer in Los Angeles will have years of experience dealing with premise liability cases throughout the county and can properly evaluate the value of your claim by comparing & contrasting your slip and fall case to other premises cases they’ve handled in L.A. County.
Before filing a slip & fall claim, there are measures you should take beforehand, such as:
- Seek medical treatment immediately: If you have experienced a slip and fall accident, you need to call for help. Even if you are not feeling any sort of physical pain, it is highly recommended that you are evaluated by a medical professional. You could have an underlying condition or damage that can cause great pain and suffering later, including broken bones. Physical therapy is highly recommended in slip and fall cases.
- Report your incident: Victims of slip and falls are sometimes at a loss of who to report their accident to. Who you notify is dependent on where the incident took place. For example, if you have fallen in grocery stores, the correct person to report your slip and fall to would be the store manager.
- Gather evidence: It is important that you collect photos and witness statements after a trip or slip and fall accident. This type of evidence will strengthen your slip and fall claim when filing for compensation with the insurance companies. Take photos of the area in which you fell, the surrounding area, and the weather conditions.
- File a claim: Time is of the essence to file a slip and fall case; waiting too long can affect your ability to bring action against the business owner. The statute of limitations in California is two years unless you are going after a state or federal entity, in which case it is reduced to six months from the date of injury.
Speak with a Slip and Fall Attorney in Los Angeles Today
Call and get a free consultation with our team of experienced Los Angeles slip and fall lawyers at (323) 238-4683. Since 1978, the California law firm of Bisnar Chase has been winning compensation for clients who have experienced catastrophic injuries, lost wages, and racking up major medical bills due to a slip and fall accident. Do not hesitate. You or your loved one do not have to suffer at the hands of a careless property owner.
If you are not covered under health insurance, we can set up medical liens for you to pay those costs after your case has settled. It’s important to remember that the insurance adjuster is not your friend. They’ll often appear as though they are supporting you, but typically it’s an effort to gather evidence against you to ultimately pay you less for your premises claim.
Contact our L.A. slip and fall accident attorneys today to see if you have a premises liability case.