Truck accident victims who suffer from catastrophic injuries are often left facing significant medical expenses, taking significant time off work, or are left with no way to earn a livelihood because of their disabilities.
A skilled Westminster Truck Accident Lawyer can help you better understand your legal rights and options for your personal injury claim. Our attorneys have held a 99% percent success rate winning personal injury cases and have earned injury victims millions of dollars in compensation.
If you have been severely injured in a semi truck crash due to a negligent truck driver you have the right to seek legal representation for your Westminster case.
Call the law offices of Bisnar Chase at 949-203-3814 for a no charge personal injury case analysis.
Liability for a Westminster Truck Accident
When it comes to truck collisions, proving accountability can be a complex process. Semi-trucks usually do not belong to the driver operating the truck. The company that the big rig belongs to can be liable for the truck accident.
In truck accident cases, the negligent driver who caused the accident and his or her employer, the trucking or distribution company, can be held liable for the victim’s injuries, damages, and losses.
Companies who own the semi-trucks or the companies who are occupying a truck under a lease have a responsibility to maintain the upkeep of the vehicles. The reason why some companies avoid consistently checking on the health of the truck is that they want to avoid paying for expensive auto parts.
Since commercial trucks are larger in weight and size, a multitude of problems can arise.
The types of issues that can arise as a truck driver are issues with:
- Failing transmission
- Leakage of oil
- Defective or old tires
- Failing brakes
- Water pump
- Fan clutch
It is the obligation of the commercial truck company to make sure that all parts of the truck are working properly. The manufacturer, loader of the truck and driver can also be held accountable for severe injuries obtained in a truck accident.
It would be in the victim’s best interest not to rush to a settlement or take the first offer from the insurance company. Trucking companies have powerful insurance companies and defense lawyers on their side who will do everything it takes to protect their best interests. A Westminster Truck Accident Lawyer can help you investigate the cause of the accident and can win you the compensation you would need to recover.
Types of Truck Accident Injuries
Truck accidents have the potential to cause catastrophic injuries. A catastrophic injury is one that leaves victims with lifelong health issues or disabilities.
There are several types of major or catastrophic injuries that may be sustained in a Westminster truck crash.
- Traumatic brain injury: Auto accidents are among the most common causes of traumatic brain injury. A brain injury occurs when there is an impact on the head. In commercial truck accidents, there is likely to be intrusion or blunt force trauma depending on the nature of the accident. For example, severe head injuries are common in truck underride accidents where the smaller vehicle slides under the back or side of the trailer. Traumatic brain injuries can be challenging to treat. Victims often undergo multiple surgeries, extensive rehabilitation, and therapy. Some of them may even require full-time care 24/7. The cost of a traumatic brain injury can add up to millions of dollars over the lifetime of the victim.
- Spinal cord damage: A severe spinal cord injury will usually result in paralysis. Quadriplegia or paraplegia are common consequences of such truck accident injuries. Victims are left with lifelong disabilities in addition to undergoing significant medical treatment and rehabilitation. Injured victims may have to be hospitalized for weeks or even months. Those who are paralyzed may need specialized equipment. All of these costs could add up very quickly.
- Fractures: Broken bones can result in serious injuries. Depending on the type of fracture, it could take a long time for the victim to recover. Even a so-called minor fracture or hairline crack may require several physical therapy sessions. When there is a serious fracture, the victim will most likely need several months of therapy or rehabilitation in order to regain strength and mobility.
- Limb amputations: This refers to a limb that may have to be amputated as a result of serious injuries that may be suffered in a Westminster truck accident. Amputations of course have lifelong consequences for the victim. For example, he or she may never be able to return to his or her old job or remain involved in activities enjoyed prior to the accident.
Damages That Can Be Claimed for Westminster Truck Crash
Injured Westminster semi-truck accident victims can seek compensation for damages including but not limited to:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of wages
- Cost of hospitalization
- Physical therapy
- Vocational training
- Loss of ability to earn a livelihood
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
The Dangers Truck Accidents Pose
Semi-trucks can pose an even bigger threat than four-door vehicles because if an accident occurs the big rig can flip over and cause an extensive amount of damage.
The trucks weight is dependent on a variety of factors such as the types of loads the truck is carrying and the weight of the cargo. Both should be thoroughly checked and secured by loaders before driving.
The federal government has enforced weight limits on semi-trucks to prevent accidents. Any entity that violates these regulations will not only put themselves in danger but will also be facing expensive fees.
Due to the trucks weight, drivers need to be extra cautious not to speed to refrain from jackknifing. Jackknifing is a common term used among truck drivers in which the truck skids forcing the front (towing) part of the truck to swerve into an angle that is facing the rest of the truck. Jackknifing is very common amongst truck drivers who do not take extra precautions when driving in bad weather conditions.
Contact our Westminster Truck Accident Lawyers
Our experienced Westminster Truck Accident Lawyers at Bisnar Chase have helped numerous people with a variety of personal injury cases, including big rigs, semi-trucks, tractor-trailers, and oversized commercial trucks. Our truck crash attorneys have held negligent parties accountable and have obtained fair compensation for the losses injury victims have experienced.
Call 949-203-3814 for a free consultation