Westminster Wrongful Death Attorneys
Wrongful death occurs when an individual has been killed as the result of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing. Deaths resulting from drunk driving, medical malpractice, defective products and criminal acts are all considered wrongful deaths and the victim’s family may seek financial compensation for their tragic loss. To determine whether or not you can go forward with this, you will need to discuss the matter with an experienced, skilled Westminster wrongful death attorney.
In addition, it is important that you understand the types of compensation that may be available as part of a Westminster wrongful death claim.
What Compensation May be Sought in a Wrongful Death Case?
No amount of compensation can replace the loss of a loved one, but a wrongful death claim can help a family recover from the financial hardships they may have to endure following a fatal accident. The following is a list of potential damages that may be included in a wrongful death claim reflects only a portion of what may be available:
- Medical bills: If the victim survived the accident long enough to require emergency services, surgical procedures or hospitalization, the resulting medical bills can be devastating to the victim’s family. The at-fault party responsible for the fatal injuries can be held accountable for the resulting medical bills.
- Funeral expenses: Even a small, family-only funeral in Westminster can be costly and add up to thousands of dollars. Funeral and burial expenses can be included in a wrongful death claim.
- Loss of income: Did the victim provide financial support to the claimant? A wrongful death claim should include the wages lost because of the victim’s untimely death. During the claims process, the wages that the victim would have earned from the time of the accident until when they would have retired will need to be calculated. A Westminster wrongful death lawyer will be able to determine the amount of money the family has lost as a result of lost wages and benefits such as insurance coverage and pension,
- Loss of inheritance: Did the sudden and tragic passing of a loved one affect the amount of inheritance that the claimant would have received?
- Pain and suffering: If the victim survived the accident long enough to experience physical pain and mental anguish, that suffering can be included in a wrongful death claim. It is common for an attorney to research similar incidents when calculating how much compensation should be available for pain and suffering. Family members can also claim compensation for emotional distress.
- Loss of companionship: How do you put a price on the loss of love and the companionship of a beloved family member? This is an extremely challenging part of a wrongful death claim with which an experienced attorney may be able to help.
Receiving Fair Compensation
It is a mistake to assume that the party responsible for your loss will step forward to offer an adequate settlement without the pressure of civil litigation. When fault for the accident is clear, the insurance company responsible for the damages will likely offer an inadequate settlement to make the case go away.
When the victim's family accepts a settlement, they will no longer be able to pursue further compensation for their losses. Therefore, no one should accept an offer from an insurance company without first discussing their case with an experienced Westminster wrongful death lawyer. When the insurance company denies a claim or refuses to offer fair compensation, the victim’s family may have to pursue compensation through a wrongful death claim.
Civil lawsuits can be stressful and time consuming, but they are often necessary to hold the at-fault party accountable for their actions. The knowledgeable Westminster California wrongful death attorneys at Bisnar Chase can help the family that has lost a loved one understand their legal rights and options.
We work on a contingency fee basis, which means that we will not charge fees for our services unless you win the case and recover compensation. Please call contact us today for a free consultation and to find out how we can help you.