Huntington Beach Personal Injury Attorneys
We've been helping Huntington Beach and Orange County clients receive the compensation they need to recover from their serious accident for over 40 years. At Bisnar Chase, we provide every client with an experience designed plan to help them recover financially, physically, and emotionally. We have a large staff of highly trained legal professionals who have experience handling cases in a multitude of practice areas.
Looking for a personal injury lawyer nearby 92605 area?
We offer a free no obligation case evaluation to every accident victim. So don't wait until it is too late to receive legal advice for your claim. Contact us today at our Newport Beach offices near Huntington Beach.
7 Common Huntington Beach Accident Claims
Personal injury claims can range from being minor to fatal. Many personal injury victims who have experienced serious accidents do not know if they even have a strong enough case that will earn them the compensation they need to recover.
Huntington Beach personal injury claims fall into an array of categories. There are specific accident claims that happen quite often in this specific region though.
Frequent incidents that are usually claimed in Huntington Beach include:
- Vehicle Collisions: According to City-Data.com there have been 14 fatalities reported due to Huntington Beach car accidents. The cause of these wrongful death incidents? People who have been held accountable for these fatalities were drunk drivers. Coastline Behavioral Center reported that Huntington Beach is the DUI capital of California. Although authorities have taken measures to decrease the number of DUI-related car accidents in Huntington Beach today, there are still drivers who prove to be reckless. Traffic Safety Performance has indicated that California has experienced 3,000 car accidents just in one year. Experts say that the best option to take after a night out of drinking is to stay at a trusted friend's home for the night or contact a ride-sharing service.
- Pedestrian Accidents: Huntington Beach, California is no stranger to crosswalk accidents. ABC7 news reported that "A pedestrian was killed in a Huntington Beach crash." The victim was identified as a woman in her 50's. One of the main causes of a pedestrian being struck by a vehicle is due to distracted driving. Motorists who are partaking in activities as small as reaching to change the radio or eating can cause a serious collision. There are instances when a walker can be at fault though. Just like drivers pedestrians do have a responsibility to keep themselves safe. Pedestrians who ignore crosswalk signals have an increased risk of being injured or losing their life. Some pedestrian safety tips that will help prevent an accident include making eye contact with a driver, only crossing on marked areas and wearing bright colors so they may be noticeable while walking at night.
- Truck crashes: Truck accidents can be devastating and because of their size can cause a huge amount of damage to property, fellow drivers and even the trucker themselves. Twenty-six-year-old Zachary John Gillespie crashed his 2006 Nissan Titan pickup into a power pole and wall. He was not wearing a seatbelt. He died days later after the crash. Many truckers underestimate the power and force of a semi or large vehicle. The average weight of a pick-up truck can be up to 3,000 pounds which is one thousand more pounds than a regular four-door vehicle. When operating a large vehicle never be too close to cars and always decrease your speed when turning.
- Employment-related injuries: Work injuries cannot only compromise an accident victim's health but also their ability to provide financially for themselves in the future. Many families also suffer from losing their loved one. OSHA (occupational safety and health administration) reported that in one year, 5,147 employees died due to job-related injuries. The industries that contained the most injuries and deaths were construction, transportation and warehouse-related occupations. If your employer does not have workers compensation coverage than you may have the potential to file a claim for a Huntington Beach personal injury.
- Nursing home abuse: There are over 50 assisted-living facilities in Huntington Beach, CA alone. Elderly citizens and their loved ones trust and rely on a nursing home to properly care for their family members. When they fail to do so, the negligent staff members or abusers need to be brought to justice. If you suspect that your loved one is being harmed in a nursing home you can file a Huntington nursing home abuse claim on their behalf. You can file a claim for your family member if you believe that they are being abused emotionally, physically or financially (extortion).
- Dog bites: According to the Orange County Register, dog bites are on the rise. In one year, reports indicated that 2,384 bites occurred. Dog bites can be dangerous because animals have the ability to rupture the skin and if the dog is not vaccinated, spread diseases. Dogs can also spread parasites to humans as well. This can cause a person to experience symptoms such as fever, abdominal pain or diarrhea. If your child has been bitten by a dog immediately after the incident has occurred seek medical attention. Some preventative measures you can take to protect your child from being attacked by an animal can include constant supervision and prohibiting your child from approaching a dog they do not know.
- Wrongful deaths: A wrongful death can take place for a multitude of reasons. Common wrongful death claims can involve a child drowning in a pool, a person dying due to a negligent medical professional or a defective product. Whatever the case may be a surviving family member has the right to file a lawsuit on their loved one's behalf. Potential claimants can be a spouse, child or parent of the deceased. A family member who has passed due to someone else's carelessness can gain compensation for funeral expenses, earnings the deceased would have made if they were still alive and medical bills that accumulated before a loved one's death.
Southern California Statutes of Limitations
Accident victims who have been catastrophically injured due to someone else's negligence have two years to file a personal injury claim. The California Statute of Limitations states that negligent parties that were at fault in an accident are responsible for the losses the injury victims have faced.
To receive full compensation for a personal injury there are three vital factors that need to be proven in the court of law.
Duty of care: To prove negligence in a personal injury case one of the primary elements that needs to be present is that the careless party had an obligation to the injury victim. An example of a party that had a responsibility to the victim could be a doctor, an employer or a commercial truck driver.
Breach of duty: If the party that was responsible for keeping the claimant safe and failed to do so, this can be used as a strong basis for a personal injury lawsuit. Breach of duty refers to the defendant putting others at risk due to negligence or recklessness. When a driver decides to operate a motor vehicle under the influence of a substance they are creating a dangerous situation for fellow motorists. When a grocery store manager fails to put a "caution" sign on a wet floor after being informed this can lead a customer to slip and fall.
Causation: Lastly, what would have to be absolutely proven is that the at-fault party's actions led to your injuries. If a person is proved to be accountable legally for the damages you have faced, then they will have no choice but to compensate you for your losses. When you speak to a personal injury attorney in the 92605 Huntington Beach area you will be able to gain insight on how much you can potentially win for your accident claim.
Typical Accident Injuries in Huntington Beach
Unfortunately, hundreds of people suffer personal injuries within Huntington Beach on a yearly basis, many of whom do not receive the proper information to make an educated decision on how to move forward. Too often, our Huntington Beach personal injury lawyers speak with victims who have made detrimental mistakes while trying to properly handle their case and the results can be as devastating as the injuries.
Bisnar Chase's personal injury attorneys in Huntington Beach have over 40 years of experience earning millions of dollars for the physical and emotional repercussions accident victims have faced.
Some of the different types of injuries that we have gained recovery for include injuries that involve:
- Internal bleeding: Internal bleeding is one of the most dangerous injuries one can experience in an accident. This type of injury is not initially recognizable and can worsen within hours. Common causes of internal bleeding can involve a person being penetrated suddenly by an object leading to the crushing or tearing of the blood vessels. If blood vessels in a vital part of the body, such as an organ are ruptured a person can bleed to death.
- Fractured bones: In accidents if a injury victim suddenly experiences a slip and fall or is hit by a heavy object they can potentially obtain broken bones. In nursing homes, elderly residents must be watched carefully due to their fragile physical condition. Slipping and falling for a senior does not just result in a bruise. A senior citizen experiencing a slip and fall can lead to internal bleeding and many can even servilely fracture their pelvic area.
- PTSD: Nightmares, sudden emotional outbursts or severe anxiety are one of the many symptoms that people can possibly squire after an accident. Professional help is key to recovery but many do not have the medical insurance or income to seek this type of treatment. If you or someone you know is exhibiting these types of behaviors after an accident they may be able to receive the medical attention they need by filing a personal injury claim.
- Spinal cord injuries: Every year over 11,000 spinal cord injuries take place in the United States. One of the most common areas in the spine that is damaged due to blunt trauma is the vertebral column. The vertebral column is the part of the spine that transmits messages from the nervous system to the brain. People who have suffered damage to the vertebral colon can become semi or entirely paralyzed. Victims who had not been partially or completely paralyzed in an accident can experience extreme pain and discomfort if they have been diagnosed with a herniated disc. A herniated disc is when the rubbery cushion that is between the bones in the spine is compromised causing the victim to be in excruciating pain.
- Head trauma: The American Association of Neurological Surgeons has reported that 500,000 deaths take place each year due to traumatic brain injuries. Research has also concluded that an estimated 50%-70% of head injuries were caused by motor vehicle accidents. If you or a loved one has been involved in a major wreck there are predominate symptoms that you need to look out for. Symptoms of a traumatic brain injury can include dilated pupils, dizziness, confusion, vomiting or ringing in the ears.
- Cuts: People who were involved in a road collision can be left with serious cuts and scrapes due to the debris from the vehicle or being dragged across the highway. In severe cases, skin can be torn from the body. Surgery for skin damaged on the face or body can be costly and can lead a person being out of work for months so they may recover. Do not try to treat a cut or scrape yourself. Medical professionals have the ability and tools to take debris such as gravel and glass out of the wound so the wound can properly heal.
- Lost or chipped teeth: Injury victims do not have to suffer from the embarrassment that comes with missing or chipped teeth after an accident. After an incident many people think that teeth are solely cosmetic and may not know that they can receive compensation for dental reconstruction. Missing teeth can leave people to not chew properly and may cause extensive damage to the jaw for those who grind their teeth at night. Not only that but missing teeth can also lead a person to be depressed. When you hire a personal injury lawyer in Huntington Beach, CA you will be able to potentially be able to gain the recovery you would need for dental reconstruction.
What Does the Term" No Win, No Fee" Mean?
When a law firm states that "if there is no win, there is no fee" this is stating that if the attorneys on your case do not win you any compensation you do not have to pay them for their services. This type of offer that is available by a personal injury law firm is known as a contingency fee.
Throughout your case in order to win you as much compensation as possible your Huntington Beach personal injury lawyer will need to compile a team of paralegals and investigators for your injury case. These expenses are known as litigation costs. Your recovery will not only pay for your losses but it will also compensate for the costs that accumulated for the law firm as well.
Orange County Shared Fault Laws
One of the most important questions in a personal injury case is "who was responsible for the accident?" Once this question is answered and proven the claims process will be easier to maneuver through.
What if both parties were at fault for an accident or injury though? Can both parties file for compensation for their injuries as well?
The state of California enforces a comparative law for all parties and all possible circumstances that can take place in an accident. Comparative fault states that both people who were involved in the incident have the ability to file for compensation. Different states vary with comparative negligence in terms how much each party will receive for their injuries.
Damages You Can Recover for Your Accident Claim
The compensation you receive for the damages you have after an accident are paid by the negligent party (defendant) insurance company. The amount that you will receive for your personal injury case will depend on the number of injuries that you have experienced after the incident.
There are two types of damages you can receive after a personal injury which are compensatory and punitive damages.
Compensatory damages are the physical losses that a person has accumulated after a wreck which has an exact dollar amount attached. This can include medical bills, lost wages or property damage. Punitive damages take longer and are more complex to determine. Punitive damages that are often awarded by insurance companies can encompass emotional pain and suffering a person has experienced since the collision.
Our Huntington Beach Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
If you have suffered personal injuries in Huntington Beach due to beach accidents, bicycle accidents, auto collisions, premises liability or a motorcycle accident, it is to your benefit to consult a Huntington Beach personal injury law firm.
Your accident attorney will explain the legal issues of your personal injury case and fight for damages owed to you. While there are many personal injury and accident lawyers claiming to have your best interests at heart, it is helpful to keep in mind that the best law firms will always offer a free consultation on your case.
Law firms with strong records of successfully handling personal injury lawsuits meantime may also offer a no-fee guarantee meaning that you don't have to pay them unless they win your case.
If you need help immediately, call one of our expert personal injury lawyers now at 949-344-2968 and we will schedule a consultation the same day or by the next business day at the latest.
Visit our at our O.C. law firm near 92605.Call 949-344-2968
Most Dangerous Intersection in Huntington Beach**
Last 5 Years:
- 81 Accidents
- 75 Injuries
- 0 Deaths
City of Huntington Beach
- Population: 197575
- Avg Annual Auto Injuries per 1,000: 9
- Huntington Beach Crime Index* 184.5
Nearby Cities Crime Indices*:
- Fountain Valley: 153
- Westminster: 229.8
- Costa Mesa: 214.3
- Garden Grove: 181
More Unsafe Intersections in Huntington Beach**
- Accidents: 115
- Injuries: 65
- Deaths: 0
- Accidents: 100
- Injuries: 63
- Deaths: 0
- Accidents: 93
- Injuries: 50
- Deaths: 0