California Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
A motorcycle accident can be devastating to riders, causing severe injuries and life-threatening conditions. But victims do not have to suffer alone. Contact our California motorcycle accident lawyers now for a free consultation with a legal expert with no obligation.
For motorcycle riders, being involved in a collision can be terrifying, painful, and life-changing. But we can help you get yourself and your bike on the road to recovery.
At Bisnar Chase, we have more than 40 years of experience helping seriously injured motorcyclists and other personal injury clients. We are here to help victims throughout California get the compensation they deserve. We are here to answer your questions and offer expert representation. Contact us now for a free consultation.
- Motorcycle accident dangers
- Common causes of motorcycle accidents
- Motorbike accident statistics
- What to do after a motorcycle crash
- Motorcycle accident liability
- Motorcycle crash case studies
- Injury compensation after a motorbike accident
- How a lawyer can help you take on the insurance company
- Motorcycle accident FAQs
- Hiring the best motorcycle accident lawyer
Motorcycle Accident Dangers
For motorcycle enthusiasts, the thrill of the ride is unparalleled. Many riders believe that there is nothing as exhilarating as being out on California’s sun-kissed roadways. Others ride motorbikes for practical reasons, to zip through the notorious traffic of Southern California.
However, motorcycling is not without risks. It can be extremely dangerous for riders who are traveling at high speeds while completely exposed. When a motorcycle collides with another vehicle, it is most likely to be the rider who comes off worse, often suffering catastrophic or fatal injuries.
While motorcyclists have to wear helmets by law, they are still very vulnerable on the roads. Motorbikes accelerate quickly, can be tough to see, and are exposed to the elements. When they collide with larger vehicles such as cars, trucks, and buses, the results can be horrifying.
When a motorcycle accident is caused by the negligent actions of another person, the injured victim can seek compensation for their injuries, damages, and losses. Working with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in California will ensure the victim has the best possible chance of lawsuit success.
Bisnar Chase attorney Gavin Long outlines a $5.3m victory for a motorcyclist who was injured in a collision with a car.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in California
A serious motorcycle collision can have major consequences for everyone involved. These are some of the most frequent road hazards and causes of motorcycle crashes in California:
- Left-turn collisions: More than 40% of all accidents involving a motorcycle and a second vehicle are caused by the other vehicle turning left across traffic. This happens at intersections, side streets, driveways and parking lots when the turning driver does not see or misjudges the speed of the approaching motorcycle.
- Head-on collisions: Crashes involving motorcycles and other vehicles account for more than half of all fatal motorcycle accidents. Nearly 75 percent of the time, the vehicle strikes the motorcycle head-on. These types of crashes often prove fatal for the rider and/or passenger.
- Lane Merging: Larger vehicles changing lanes without looking can pose a serious threat to motorcyclists. If a biker is alongside a car when it merges across lanes without warning, the motorcyclist can easily be knocked from their bike and sustain severe injuries.
- Speeding: A crash is more likely to occur when vehicles are traveling at high speeds and the drivers or riders have little time to react. This is the case regardless of who is speeding. High-speed collisions can be deadly for motorcyclists due to the lack of protection they have on the roads.
- Distracted driving: Driving while distracted is the leading cause of auto accidents in California. This can include texting, setting your GPS, fiddling with your audio options or eating while driving. A distracted driver could easily fail to see or react to a motorcyclist, or carelessly drift across lanes.
- Driving under the influence: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can be extremely dangerous. This applies to motorcyclists riding while under the influence, as well as drivers of cars or trucks.
- Hazards and road debris: Motorcycle accidents can be caused by loose items in the road, as well as roadway defects such as potholes and uneven surfaces. These are more hazardous for motorcycles than for larger and more stable vehicles with 4+ wheels.
- Lane splitting: Accidents sometimes occur due to lane splitting – where a motorcycle is riding between two lanes to squeeze through traffic. This is legal, but other drivers sometimes fail to see bikers riding between lanes.
No matter how a crash was caused, victims can turn to the California motorcycle accident attorneys of Bisnar Chase for expert help and guidance.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Motorcycle accident statistics in California and across the rest of the United States make for sobering reading, showing exactly how dangerous a crash can be for riders.
- There are more than 8.7 million motorcycles registered across the U.S. – an all-time high
- More than 104,000 bikers suffered injuries due to collisions in 2016
- There were also more than 5,000 fatalities in the United States in 2017
- Motorcycle fatality rates are more than 25x that of cars, making it the most dangerous form of travel
- Across California, 566 motorcyclists were killed and another 14,400 were injured in crashes in 2016
- California Highway Patrol data indicates that about 65% of motorcycle fatalities involve some degree of fault on the part of the rider
The following chart shows the numbers of motorcyclists injured in 2018 throughout Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, Los Angeles County, and San Diego County from 2015-2018, using statistics from California traffic authorities.
There are more than 10,000 annual motorcycle accidents of varying severity across these four counties, with the majority coming in Los Angeles. The following graph also shows the number of fatalities in these areas, as well as the number of crashes which resulted in property damaged, such as a totaled motorbike.
Additional motorcycle accident statistics show rates of about 500 injuries per 100 million miles traveled, and 59 fatalities per 100,000 registered motorbikes per year.
Turn to our motorcycle injury lawyers to make sure you are properly compensated if you are involved in a crash.
What to do After a Motorcycle Crash
If you are ever involved in a motorcycle collision, there are several steps that you can take to protect your rights. These steps will also boost your chances of success in filing a motorcycle accident lawsuit.
First and foremost, the law requires anyone involved in an accident to stop and remain at the scene.
What happens next will depend on the severity of the crash and injuries suffered. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, do not move – wait for emergency services to arrive.
It is especially important to stay still if you have suffered a head injury or another form of catastrophic injury.
However, if you can move around, or have a friend or family member at the scene to help you, here are a few useful steps that could be taken:
- Take photos: Photographic evidence of the crash site, the damage to your motorcycle and of your injuries can be vital in a lawsuit.
- Gather information: You will need the contact phone numbers, addresses, and insurance details of all parties involved. You could also take a picture of their license, as well as obtaining contact details for anyone who witnessed the crash.
- Get specific: It is easy to forget important details if they are not written down, and most people are not thinking clearly in the aftermath of a crash. It will be useful to write down the specifics such as the date, time, location and position of the vehicles at the time of the incident.
- Filing a police report: It is important to get your account of the incident into the police report. Make sure you get a copy of the police report.
- Preserve your vehicle: It may be tempting to repair your motorcycle as soon as possible. But it is crucial to preserve your bike for a thorough examination by an expert.
- Medical reports: Request records showing any injuries or treatments related to the collision, as well as receipts showing medical bills and expenses.
- Contact an attorney: Call or email Bisnar Chase for a free consultation with a California motorcycle accident lawyer. They will be able to offer expert advice on your legal options.
Motorcycle Accident Liability
A motorcycle crash lawsuit will target the liable parties, suing those at fault for causing an accident. This has the dual benefit of making the victim whole financially and holding those responsible accountable for their actions.
Personal injury liability applies when an accident has been caused by negligent actions. At-fault parties can include:
- The driver of a car or truck. For example, a driver might be liable if they were texting while driving, made a careless or improper maneuver, or caused an accident by speeding.
- An employer. If the at-fault driver was working at the time of the accident, their employer may also be liable. In this case, an employer or company could be named as a defendant in a lawsuit. This might apply to people such as delivery drivers, taxi drivers, and bus drivers.
- The vehicle manufacturer or maintenance workers. If an accident was caused by a design or construction fault with the vehicle, there may be a case for manufacturer liability. Improper maintenance can also sometimes be blamed.
- A city/transport authority. When a roadway defect or dangerous street design causes an accident, the city government could be targeted in a lawsuit.
For advice on how to approach legal action against a negligent party, trust our motorcycle accident injury lawyers. They are extremely experienced in fighting for the rights of crash victims.
Motorcycle Crash Case Studies
There are far too many examples of fatal motorcycle accidents, as well as motorcyclists injured in major crashes throughout California. Here are just a few examples from recent years:
Name: Amir Ekbatani / When and Where: Redondo Beach, CA, 2012
Former UCLA footballer Amir Ekbatani suffered a catastrophic injury in a motorcycle crash in Redondo Beach. Aged 24 at the time, Ekbatani was riding north on Pacific Coast Highway when a taxi turned in front of him at a notoriously dangerous intersection. He lost the lower part of his left leg and was awarded $27.5m in compensation after a lawsuit.
Name: Unknown / When and Where: Freeway near Inglewood, CA, August 2017
An unnamed motorcyclist was killed in a horrific crash on the 405 freeway near Inglewood in the early hours of the morning. It is unclear what caused the collision, but a motorcyclist was knocked from his bike and run over by several cars, according to police reports. The southbound 405 was closed for four hours and the motorcyclist sadly died at the scene.
Name: Nathan Martin / When and Where: Oxnard, CA, January 2020
Off-duty police officer Nathan Martin was killed when he collided with a semi-truck while riding his motorcycle home from work. Martin, 45 – a 20-year force veteran – was riding his personal motorbike when the fatal crash happened. He was less than a mile from the police station having just left for the day. Martin was rushed to hospital but died from his severe injuries.
If you or a loved one have been hurt or killed in a motorcycle accident, contact Bisnar Chase now. We can help victims and their families secure a fair settlement, or take a case to court.
Motorcycle Injury Compensation
The amount of compensation a motorcycle accident victim could be entitled to will depend on the circumstances of their crash, and the injuries they are left with.
A whole range of factors can impact the amount of money a person could be offered in a settlement, or win through a jury verdict. These include:
- Level of negligence of the defendant
- The severity of the victim’s injuries
- Medical expenses (hospital bills, surgery costs, etc.)
- Ongoing rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages during recovery
- Permanent lost ability to work
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
An experienced personal injury lawyer can help an injury victim build a strong case and seek maximum damages. In the event of a fatal motorbike crash, the family of the victim might be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit with the help of an experienced attorney.
At Bisnar Chase, our motorcycle crash lawyers are experts in making sure victims are properly compensated. We have a track record of success in motorcycle accident cases. Some of our biggest wins include:
➤ $38,650,000 – Case details currently confidential.
➤ $30,000,000 – A 25-year-old motorcyclist suffered a catastrophic brain injury after he was knocked off his bike by a negligent driver making a reckless lane change.
➤ $5,300,000 – A car pulled out in front of an oncoming motorcycle, resulting in a crash that left the rider with brain damage.
➤ $3,000,000 – A motorcyclist suffered severe and life-altering foot injuries after being hit by a delivery driver.
How a Lawyer Can Help: Taking on the Insurance Company
Our motorcycle accident lawyers in California are specialists when it comes to providing superior representation for injury victims and their families.
Following an accident, many people struggle to fight for justice on their own. But this can be extremely tough and frustrating, especially when you are taking on a large insurance company. Insurance agents may appear friendly, but their goal is not to help you; it is to pay out as little as possible.
Bisnar Chase is a respected law firm with a long history of success. Our attorneys are compassionate, providing emotional support as well as legal expertise. Adept at dealing with insurance companies, they are tough negotiators who strive to reach fair settlements when possible.
Our attorneys are also accomplished trial lawyers. They will not back down from a courtroom challenge if they feel that their clients have not been made a fair compensation offer.
Motorcycle Accident FAQs
The following are some of the questions most often asked of our California motorcycle accident lawyers. If our frequently asked questions do not cover your query, do not hesitate to contact us.
Yes, you can still file a lawsuit if you were partially to blame for an accident. Many auto accidents feature multiple people at fault. As a general rule, if the negligence of another party contributed to your crash, legal action can be taken. Under California’s comparative negligence laws, any compensation awarded to the victim might be diluted by their level of fault.
You have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit, according to the California statute of limitations. Once filed, the case could take weeks, months, or years to be concluded. During this time, Bisnar Chase will take care of everything and keep in regular contact with victims.
You should not do anything without consulting with a personal injury attorney first. An insurance firm may start by making a lowball offer. Whenever a settlement offer is received, ask your lawyer for their expert guidance on the worth of your case before accepting it.
At Bisnar Chase we offer a ‘No Win, No Fee’ promise to all clients. This means that you won’t have any up-front costs or out-of-pocket expenses when you hire us. If we win your case, we will get a pre-agreed percentage of the settlement or verdict amount. If not, you will never pay a penny. We also offer a free initial consultation.
There are several ways to contact Bisnar Chase. Either call us on (800) 561-4887 or visit our website – www.BestAttorney.com – to email us or use the Live Chat feature. You can also reach us through our social media channels.
Top-rated California Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Bisnar Chase is one of the most trusted injury firms in California. We have an outstanding record in motorcycle accident cases, having won multiple $30+ million awards for accident victims.
Over the last 40 years, we have won more than $650 million for those who have suffered injuries and we are proud of our 99% success rate.
Making sure accident victims are properly compensated means everything to us. Our attorneys are skilled, passionate, and dedicated to securing top results. But it is not just about the money. We also thrive on making sure victims get a sense of justice, and wrongdoers are held accountable.
In addition, our ‘No Win, No Fee’ guarantee ensures that our services are available to people of all means.
Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys
1301 Dove St., #120
Newport Beach, CA 92660