Newport Beach residents and visitors are quick to get out on the water in our great city with endless sunny days. But boat accident injuries in Orange County are common and can result in serious injuries and fatalities.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries caused by watercraft incidents, we can help. Contact a Newport Beach boat accident lawyer at Bisnar Chase for superior representation. Call 949-203-3814.
We cover everything you need to know about filing a boating accident lawsuit, including:
- What is the most common boat accident?
- How do you respond to a boating accident?
- Can an attorney help you seek compensation for a Newport Beach boating injury?
If you suffer an injury you believe was caused by negligence, our personal injury attorneys in Newport Beach can help you secure the compensation you deserve. Contact us now at (949) 203-3814 for a free consultation.
Newport Beach Boat Accident Lawyer
How Much Does A Newport Beach Boat Accident Lawyer Charge?
Most personal injury lawyers in California charge roughly 33% of the total won in your case. We do not charge any upfront fees or costs and will advance all resources until the case is won – whether by settlement or trial, resulting in a favorable verdict.
Some cases do charge a higher percentage if the case requires a lot more resources (experts, deposition, etc.), but the average cost is 33% and it only comes out of what the attorney received in your case, so it is still no cost to you directly. Our top-rated boat accident lawyers in Newport Beach will fight for you and spare no expense to do the job right.
How Much is a California Boat Accident Lawsuit Worth?
The typical value of a boat accident lawsuit can vary widely depending on the specific circumstances of your case. Some factors that can affect the value of a boat accident injury lawsuit include:
- The severity of the injuries you sustained
- The amount of lost wages.
- The cost of your medical bills and expenses.
- The pain and suffering.
- The property damage caused by the accident.
- The level of fault of the parties involved
Boating accident lawsuits that involve serious injuries or death can be worth hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. However, even minor watercraft accidents can result in significant financial losses, depending on the circumstances.
It is essential to speak with an experienced Newport Beach boat crash lawyer to get an accurate estimate of the value of your case. The attorney will be able to review the facts of your case and discuss the legal options available to you.
What to Do After a Boat Accident in California
Check for injuries. The priority is to ensure the safety of everyone involved; call 911 or your local emergency number immediately.
Move to a safe location. If your boat is still afloat, move it to a safe location away from other boats and swimmers. If your boat is sinking or damaged, abandon it and move to a nearby shore or another boat.
Exchange information with the other parties. If there are other boats involved in the accident, exchange names, addresses, and contact information with the boat operators. You should also take pictures and videos of the damage to the boats and the surrounding area.
File a boating accident report. In most states, you are required to file a boating accident report if the crash results in any injuries or property damage. The report should be filed with the appropriate state agency, such as the Department of Natural Resources or the Coast Guard.
Seek follow up medical attention. Even if you don’t think you are injured, it is important to seek medical attention after a boating accident. Some injuries, such as concussions, may not be immediately apparent.
Contact a boating accident attorney. If you have been injured in a boating accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options.
Tips to protect your boat a accident case
Do not admit fault. Even if you believe you are at fault for the accident, it is important not to admit fault to anyone. This could damage your legal case.
Do not destroy or alter any evidence. This includes the boat, the other boats involved in the accident, and any personal belongings.
Do not talk to the insurance company without an attorney. The insurance company may try to get you to say things that could hurt your case and pay you less.
Contact our Newport Beach boating accident lawyer if you have additional questions about protecting your claim or to protect your legal rights.
Types of Injuries and Accidents in Newport Beach Boat Crashes
Newport Beach is a major destination for water lovers. We have the benefit of great weather that allows for year-round boating.
Orange County is home to stunning bays and beaches, making it a top travel destination. In particular, the Newport Beach peninsula harbor and coast are always packed with people. We have everything from large yachts and paddleboards to Duffy Boat rentals.
The numbers speak for themselves. Newport Harbor is home to more than 10,000 recreational crafts.
Better yet, you do not have to be rich and live on the water to enjoy it. Rental facilities offer everything from luxury yachts to affordable smaller Boats, jet skis, and paddle boards. The Balboa Island Ferry also carries cars and passengers on constant trips across the harbor.
With so many vessels around, there are dangers. The ocean can be unforgiving, with dangerous tides and conditions. Man-made bodies of water can be just as dangerous too.
Types of boat injuries we see:
- Slip-and-fall accident.
- Falling overboard.
- Unintentional drownings
- A boat colliding with another vessel.
- Injuries suffered in the dock or marina as people get on or off a boat or ship.
- A boat colliding with people in the water, such as a swimmer.
- The vessel capsized.
- Head injuries and whiplash are common in boating accidents.
As you can see, it is easy for someone to suffer a boating injury in Newport Beach. You deal with slippery conditions, unpredictable craft routes, constant boat movement, rough waters, and especially, boat drivers under the influence.
Any boat can be involved in an accident. For example:
- Yacht accidents.
- Rental boat accidents.
- Duffy boating accidents.
- Pontoon boat accidents.
- Catamaran boat accidents.
- Ferry accidents.
- Raft and dinghy crashes.
- Watercraft and jet ski accidents.
What are the most fatal causes of boating accidents?
The most fatal cause of boating accidents is operator negligence. This can include factors such as:
- Alcohol or drug use.
- Inattention or distraction.
- Lack of experience or training.
- Violation of boating laws or regulations.
- Operating the boat in unsafe conditions.
Other common causes of boating accidents include:
Collisions with other boats, objects, or shore
- Falling overboard
- Machinery or safety equipment failure
- Weather-related hazards
Drowning is the leading cause of death in boating accidents. This is often due to falls overboard, capsizing, or being unable to reach a life jacket.
Tips for preventing boating and watercraft accidents:
- Get the proper training and certification.
- Always wear a life jacket.
- Never drink alcohol or use drugs before or while operating a boat.
- Be aware of your surroundings and the weather conditions.
- Obey all boating laws and regulations.
- Be careful when operating in unfamiliar waters.
- Have a plan in case of an emergency.
You need top-rated legal representation when you suffer an injury on the water in Newport Beach. Contact our watercraft accident attorneys now for a free case review and to protect your legal rights. 949-203-3814.
Recent California Boat Crashes and Injuries
Lake Berryessa: On July 17, 2023, a man’s hand was partially amputated by a boat propeller on Lake Berryessa
Pine Flat Lake: On June 18, 2023, a woman named Neva Marlene Klomp from Clovis was killed in a boating incident at Pine Flat Lake3. Another report states that a woman died after a boating accident occured and knocked her unconscious at Pine Flat Lake on June 16, 2023.
Boat Crash with Injuries: On July 23, 2023, a boat with eight people aboard ran aground, crashed into a home, and overturned, causing injuries to everyone on board.
Other Watercraft Accidents in Newport Beach, CA
You are not only in danger if you are on a boat. Any water activity can carry similar risks, including all water sports.
For example, many people swim in the ocean off the Newport coast. They will swim out from beaches, around Newport Beach pier, and even from smaller beaches into the harbor area.
It is not uncommon to see people on the harbor side swimming out into the path of boats. Unfortunately, it can be difficult for a vessel operator to spot swimmers in the water, especially when the craft is traveling quickly.
People may also be at risk of injury if they are:
- Using a Sea-Doo or jet ski.
- Surfing or bodyboarding.
- Using a water jetpack.
When you or a loved one suffers an injury in a water-based incident involving someone else’s negligence in Newport Beach, our team will fight for you. Boating accident victims are entitled to seek maximum compensation and to hold the wrongdoers accountable. Boating accident claims can be complex and may require litigation. We have the resources and experience to get winning results.
Boating Accident Statistics Nationwide (2022)
According to the latest available statistics (2022), here are some key findings regarding boating accidents in the United States:
- In calendar year 2022, the Coast Guard counted 4,040 accidents that involved 636 deaths, 2,222 injuries, and approximately $63 million dollars of damage to property as a result of recreational boating accidents.
- The fatality rate was 5.4 deaths per 100,000 registered recreational vessels. This rate represents a 1.8% decrease from the 2021 fatality rate of 5.5 deaths per 100,000 registered recreational vessels.
- Where cause of death was known, 75% of fatal boating accident victims drowned. Of those drowning victims with reported life jacket usage, 85% were not wearing a life jacket.
- Operator inattention, operator inexperience, improper lookout, excessive speed, and machinery failure ranked as the top five primary contributing factors in accidents.
- Where data was known, navigation rules violations contributed to 50% of accidents, 35% of deaths, and almost 60% of injuries suffered.
- Collisions (with vessels, objects, groundings) were the most frequent first event in accidents, attributing to 55% of accidents, 21% of deaths, and 53% of injuries suffered.
- Where data was known, the most common vessel types involved in reported accidents were open motorboats (47%), personal watercraft (18%), and cabin motorboats (14%).
- Collisions (with vessels, objects, groundings) were the most frequent first event in accidents, attributing to 55% of accidents, 21% of deaths, and 53% of injuries.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents
A boating accident can occur for all kinds of reasons. Often, it will result in one or multiple people suffering personal injuries. Common causes of boating accidents include:
- Operating a boat at excessive speeds for the conditions.
- Inexperienced drivers, especially with rental crafts.
- Making sharp turns or unsafe maneuvers.
- Boating under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Distracted driving, failing to take proper care or be aware of surroundings.
- A lack of knowledge of waterway rules and laws.
- No safety equipment, such as life jackets, distress signals, and fire extinguishers.
- Poor craft maintenance.
- Equipment failures.
The examples above are all forms of negligence. You may be entitled to maximum financial compensation when you suffer an injury due to negligence. Contact our Newport Beach boat accident lawyer today for a free consultation.
Boating Accident Injuries in Newport Beach
The type of injuries you sustain in a boating accident in Newport Beach will depend on the manner and circumstances of the incident. The beaches in Southern California see a lot of watercraft injuries. Injuries can include:
- Soft tissue injuries.
- Broken bones.
- Drowning and dry drowning.
- Traumatic brain injuries.
- Accidental amputations from propeller injuries.
- Head injuries.
- Wrongful death.
Water vessels can be dangerous, especially when you do not know what you are doing or fail to take proper care.
Some injuries can inflict lasting and life-altering damage. For example, if you drown and suffer oxygen deprivation, you may sustain a permanent brain injury.
Contact experienced boat accident attorneys to hold negligent parties accountable for your suffering. A seasoned accident attorney can use their experience to get the best financial compensation you may not get if you handle the case yourself.
Who is Held Liable for a Boat Accident Crash?
In many ways, a boating accident lawsuit is similar to that of a car crash. Your accident attorney will need to identify who was to blame for causing your injuries.
A party would be held liable if their negligent actions caused or contributed to an accident. Common responsible parties include:
- A boat operator.
- The boat’s owner.
- A boat or equipment rental company.
- Those responsible for vessel maintenance.
Boating accidents can present complex scenarios when it comes to liability, as there are many factors to consider. For example, sailing boats have the right of way over powered boats, which could be a consideration in the event of a crash.
The best thing to do is put your case in the hands of Bisnar Chase. Our law firm has been based in Orange County since 1978, and our boat crash lawyers have the experience to help with any watercraft accident case. We will perform our own investigations and hold the liable parties accountable.
Elements of Your Boat Crash Claim
To file a successful personal injury claim, you must show a few things. Your boat injury attorney will show that the liable party owed you a duty of care, they were negligent in that duty, and their negligence caused harm.
But if they do so successfully, how much could your personal injury case be worth? The value of a boating lawsuit will vary based on the specifics of your case. Factors can include:
- Level of pain and suffering.
- Negligence of the boat’s operator; (unsafe maneuvers, failure to safely operate the boat).
- Medical bills.
- Lost wages.
- Severity of injuries.
- Compromised quality of life.
- Economic and non-economic damages.
- Other common contributing factors discovered by your attorney.
We can help you recover maximum compensation for medical bills, losses, and more. Compensation for your injuries needs to be thoroughly examined and a law firm seasoned in these types of cases can increase your odds of financial recovery.
Boating Accident Lawsuit FAQs
We want to put your mind at ease and will answer any questions you have before filing a claim. Contact us with any other questions!
The statute of limitations in California for boat accidents is two years. Time is of the essence to protect the case’s evidence and preserve details.
Contact a Newport Beach boat accident lawyer as soon as possible after an accident to protect your rights and ensure compensation.
You can take legal action if you have suffered an injury due to another person’s negligence and they owed you a duty of care. Contact Bisnar Chase for a review of your case and guide you with proper legal representation.
We have a 99% success rate and more than $800 million won for clients, with 45+ years of experience in Orange County. Our boat accident attorneys are skilled and dedicated with an outstanding track record in and outside of the courtroom.
All of our personal injury attorneys are seasoned litigators and trial lawyers. We will never settle a case to save time or money. We are willing to go to trial when necessary and will protect your right to fair compensation despite what the insurance company says. We calculate the value of your personal injury claim on your specific evidence and injuries
Contact the Best Newport Beach Boat Accident Lawyer Near Me
Bisnar Chase is here for you if you have sustained an injury on the water. Our firm offers a free case review and a ‘No Win, No Fee’ promise. We also have a 99% success rate for recovering your financial compensation.
With almost a billion dollars recovered for our clients, we will ensure you have the best experience possible with our law office. We only get paid if you get so we fight hard for your case.
We will fight for your desired result, whether we resolve your case through a settlement or a trial verdict.
With over 45 years of serving Orange County plaintiffs, you can be assured that you are hiring some of the best boat accident lawyers in Newport Beach. Call 949-203-3814 to receive a free consultation with no obligation.
We offer a contingency fee-based service, so there is NO FEE if we don’t win.
Talk with one of our Newport Beach boating accident lawyers today! 949-203-3814