The Newport Beach hit-and-run lawyers of Bisnar Chase are passionate about securing justice for accident victims who do not know where to turn.
A hit-and-run accident is exactly what it sounds like. It is when a car, pedestrian, or cyclist is hit by a vehicle, with the offending party fleeing from the scene without stopping or waiting for the police to arrive.
If you have been injured in a hit-and-run incident, Bisnar Chase can help. We have been representing Newport Beach residents for more than 44 years, collecting hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for our clients.
Our personal injury attorneys can help you navigate your hit-and-run ordeal. We can take the stress out of dealing with insurance companies and medical bills and help victims get the compensation they deserve. We do what we do because we believe in helping innocent people who have been wronged.
Call (949) 203-3814 now for specialist help from a Newport Beach hit and run attorney.
Types of Hit-and-Run Accidents in Newport Beach
The term ‘hit-and-run’ usually refers to an incident in which a driver hits something or someone with their vehicle, and then knowingly leaves the scene without leaving their information.
These incidents can be divided into misdemeanor hit-and-runs – which usually solely involve property damage – and felony hit-and-runs, which result in injury or death.
Types of hit-and-runs can include:
Newport Beach Car Accident Hit-and-Runs
A Newport Beach car accident hit-and-run lawyer might be required if there is a multi-car crash and one of the drivers refuses to stop. In some cases, the driver may stop briefly but leave before the police arrive. In others, a hit-and-run driver may flee without ever stopping.
Newport Beach is often hit by heavy traffic, especially when the weather is good and people head to the beach. PCH and the peninsula can easily become clogged, making car, truck, and motorcycle accidents more likely.
Hit-and-Run Pedestrian Accidents in Newport Beach
Newport Beach is a tourist attraction in its own right. With top-notch sandy beaches, shops, and restaurants, it is a popular destination. Pedestrians often have a false sense of security when crossing through the busy peninsula to get to the beach, but many drivers fail to see and stop for the crossings – especially if they are unfamiliar with the area.
Cyclists are also a common sight in the area, both on PCH and further into Newport. Many people choose to cycle to and from the beach, as well as using bicycles as a mode of transport when they are drinking at a Newport bar.
When a pedestrian or a cyclist is hit by a driver who then leaves the scene of the accident, it is a hit-and-run. A victim should contact a specialist hit-and-run lawyer in Newport Beach for help.
Hit-and-Run Accident Statistics
- There were 20149 hit-and-run deaths in 2016 – the highest annual number ever recorded
- Hit-and-run fatalities have risen by more than 60% since 2009
- There were more than 737,000 hit-and-run crashes across the U.S. in 2015
- About 140,000 people are injured in hit-and-run accidents every year
- A hit-and-run crash happens every 43 seconds in the U.S. on average
Why Do Hit and Run Accidents Happen?
In many Orange County hit-and-run cases, the driver might be doing something wrong when the crash occurs, such as speeding, driving without insurance, or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
In other instances, they might just be trying to avoid repercussions from the accident by fleeing the scene.
No matter the circumstances, leaving the scene of an accident is illegal in California and will only make any punishment worse.
What Victims Should do After a Hit-and-Run in Newport Beach
At the scene of a hit-and-run accident, you should:
- Try to take in as many details about the hit-and-run driver as possible.
- Call 911.
- Move away from your vehicle to a safe position.
- Make sure anyone who needs medical attention gets treatment, including yourself.
- Talk to police officers about the hit-and-run driver. Try to give them as much detail as possible, including:
– The make, model, and color of the car
– The license plate number, if possible
– Any characteristics of the driver you could see, such as age, gender, hair length, and color
– Anything unique or unusual about the vehicle, such as dents or bumper stickers
– How the crash happened
– The direction the car was headed in
- Take pictures at the scene – including the scene itself, any marks on the road, your vehicle, and anything else relevant.
- Talk to witnesses who saw the accident. Get signed statements from them, or take their contact details.
- Contact a Newport Beach hit-and-run lawyer.
Hit-and-Run Accident Injuries
Hit-and-run accidents can result in severe injuries for victims. Whether the victim is a pedestrian or another driver, these crashes can lead to:
- Broken bones and severe cuts and wounds
- Internal injuries
- Whiplash and back injuries
- Catastrophic injuries – including spinal cord injuries and head trauma
- Emotional distress and anxiety
Who Pays in a Hit-and-Run Accident Case in Newport Beach?
If you have been injured by a fleeing driver, a Newport Beach hit-and-run lawyer can help you take action to secure the justice and compensation you deserve.
Hit-and-run cases can be divided into two categories.
If the Hit-and-Run Driver is Caught by the Police:
If the driver is caught, they could be the subject of a hit-and-run charge. It might also be possible to make a legal claim against them for compensation.
In some cases, the driver might have insurance that you can claim against. However, many hit-and-run cases involve drivers without insurance. This information will dictate the actions of your hit-and-run lawyer.
If the Driver is Not Caught:
If there is no driver to take legal action against, your other option is to seek compensation through your own insurance.
There are several different forms of insurance that you could have in California. A hit-and-run lawyer in Newport Beach will be able to assess your policy and help you with the negotiations with your own insurance firm to make sure you get the maximum amount possible.
Hit-and-run compensation can depend on:
- The damage to your own car, bike, or other vehicles
- The injuries you have sustained
- Medical expenses and ongoing care
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
Bisnar Chase - The Right Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyers for You
Bisnar Chase has been representing clients in hit-and-run cases for more than 44 years. We have handled high-profile cases across Southern California, maintaining an outstanding 99% success rate and collecting more than $750 million for our clients.
We believe in building trusting attorney-client relationships and ensuring that our clients feel comfortable with every step of the legal process. In addition, we aim to make our services as accessible as possible to all people. We advance all case-related costs, offering a ‘No Win, No Fee’ guarantee. This means that you will not pay unless we win your case. If you have been injured in an accident, the Newport Beach hit-and-run lawyers of Bisnar Chase can provide expert help and sound legal advice.
Call (949) 203-3814 for immediate help, visit our Newport Beach law offices or click to contact us for a free case evaluation.