The skilled Buena Park slip and fall lawyers at our law firm can help injured victims determine if they have a valid claim and provide superior representation to maximize the value of your case. Injured victims can seek compensation to cover damages including medical expenses, loss of earnings, cost of hospitalization, rehabilitation, pain and suffering, and much more.
Slip and fall accidents are one of the leading causes of injuries and fatalities among elderly people, but dangerous underfoot conditions can put all ages at risk and a fall injury can seriously impact your quality of life.
A slip and fall incident often occurs due to negligence, from failing to clean up a slippery spill to neglecting to fix a trip hazard. If you have been injured in or around the Buena Park area, you do not have to suffer in silence. Contact our expert personal injury team for a free consultation now to find out what your case could be worth. Call 949-203-3814.
California Premises Liability Law
California law states that property owners have the responsibility to keep “invitees” on the premises safe. Property owners in Buena Park, including homeowners, have what is legally known as a “duty of care” for people who are invited on their property. The duty of care forces owners to keep their property safe by running continuous inspections, fixing any broken or faulty areas on the premises, and placing caution signs.
The premises liability law falls under the personal injury statute of limitations which specifies that “within two years: An action for assault, battery, or injury to, or for the death of, an individual caused by the wrongful act or neglect of another.”
Slip and Fall Statistics
The New York Times reported that 33 million people require medical attention every year, and that falling is the most common cause of non-fatal injuries for all age groups. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports the following statistics:
- 37 percent of all injury episodes in the United States involved falling incidents.
- Falling is the most common cause of external injury among Americans.
- 27.3 percent of all injuries occurred inside the victim’s home and 17 percent occurred outside the victim’s home.
- Sprains and strains were the most common injuries (30.7 percent); followed by contusions or superficial injuries (22.2 percent); open wounds (17.1 percent); and fractures (14.7 percent).
- In 30.8 percent of all injury accidents, the victim suffered injuries to their lower extremities. Upper extremities were injured 29 percent of the time, followed by injuries to the torso or spine and injuries to the head or neck.
Store-Related Trips and Falls
Retail stores are a common location for slip and trip-related injuries, due to their high foot traffic and potential for spillages and obstructions. Shop managers, owners, and staff are to maintain upkeep on areas of the store to make sure their customers are safe at all times. These areas include the parking lot, changing rooms, and aisles. Customers are not the only people who are entitled to this right, but anyone who enters the store and is hurt can also file a slip and fall claim.
In many cases, these accidents are caused by the negligence of a property owner, a municipality, or some other entity that failed to fix or repair a dangerous condition. In order to prove that a store owner or supervisor was negligent though, there needs to be evidence that the owner knew about the unsafe conditions and still did not take action to correct the situation.
In such cases, injured victims may be able to seek compensation for injuries, damages, and losses. Our experienced Buena Park slip and fall attorneys can help injured victims better understand their legal rights and options.
Falls Involving the Elderly
The elderly are particularly vulnerable to slip and fall accidents. Due to their fragility, many seniors can suffer from a broken bone or a traumatic head injury when they fall. Many families understand that slips and falls are a reality for older people and often hire a caretaker or admit their loved ones to a nursing facility to prevent such accidents. Unfortunately, even with aftercare, these incidents still take place.
According to statistics for adults aged 65 or older reported by the CDC:
- One out of three elderly adults is hurt in falling accidents each year, but less than half contact their healthcare provider.
- Falls are the leading cause of injury-related death and the most common cause of non-fatal injuries for the elderly.
- In one year, 18,000 elderly people suffered fatal injuries in a falling accident.
- In one year, 19,700 older adults were killed as a result of unintentional falling injuries.
- In one year, 2.2 million non-fatal injuries required emergency room attention, and over 581,000 elderly victims of fall-related injuries required hospitalization.
- Of all fatal falling deaths that occurred in one year, elderly victims were involved 81 percent of the time.
- Elderly men are 46 percent more likely to suffer fatal injuries in a fall than women.
- From the statistics gathered, the rate of fall injuries for adults 85 years of age or older was almost four times higher compared to adults between the ages of 65 and 74.
Fatal falls commonly occur at the workplace. According to The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), in one year, there were 4,551 work-related fatalities. Falls were responsible for 14 percent of those fatal accidents. That makes falls the fourth most common cause of fatal work injuries behind transportation incidents, assaults, and contact with objects and equipment.
Of the 645 fatal fall accidents suffered by workers:
- 20 percent involved a ladder
- 17 percent involved a fall from a roof
- 14 percent resulted from a fall on the same level
- 12 percent resulted from falls from a stationary vehicle
- 8 percent involved a fall from scaffolding or staging
Rights of Buena Park Slip and Fall Victims
Every injury case is different, but the Buena Park slip and fall lawyers of Bisnar Chase believe that victims who have been injured by the negligence of another individual or entity have the right to pursue financial compensation for their losses.
For example, injured workers can pursue compensation for their medical bills and a portion of their lost wages through workers’ compensation benefits, while those injured in a retail store could file a slip and fall lawsuit against the shop’s insurance. Similarly, when an elderly resident in a nursing home is injured in a falling accident, the care facility can be held accountable for the incident if negligence was a contributing factor.
Victims of slip and fall accidents in or around the Buena Park area that were caused by a hazardous condition may be able to file a premises liability claim against the negligent property owner.
If you or someone you love have suffered slip and fall injuries, Bisnar Chase is here to help. We have a 99% success rate and have recovered more than $700 million for our clients with over four decades of experience. Call our skilled team now at 949-203-3814 for a free consultation and a no win no fee promise.