Vehicles must share the road with cyclists. Even if you were told you were at fault, a vehicle must still obey traffic laws to avoid injury. You may be entitled to compensation if you’ve been injured in a bike accident.
The Santa Ana Bicycle Accident Lawyers of Bisnar Chase are experienced and aggressive. We’ve collected over $800 Million for our clients. Contact our highly skilled accident attorneys at 949-203-3814 for a free consultation.
We may be able to recover damages for you, including your medical bills. Our top-rated Santa Ana personal injury attorneys have been helping Orange County residents for decades.
We have a team of 7 seasoned trial lawyers who will fight for you — not just settle, leaving compensation on the table.
Call 949-203-3814 for a free consultation.
Santa Ana Bicycle Accident
Legal Process for Bicycle Accidents in Santa Ana
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident in Santa Ana, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and other damages. The legal process for pursuing a claim can be complex but generally involves the following steps:
Gathering evidence: This can include things like witness statements, medical records, and police reports.
Filing a claim: Submitting a demand letter to the at-fault party or their insurance company outlining the damages you seek.
Negotiating a settlement: In many cases, the at-fault party or their insurance company will offer to settle the case with you. Typically an initial offer is not adequate and will require negotiating.
Taking the case to trial: If a settlement cannot be reached, the case may go to trial, where a jury will decide the outcome of your personal injury claim. All of our attorneys are trial lawyers.
Damages Available for Bicycle Accidents in Santa Ana
If we are successful in winning your claim, you may be entitled to compensation for a variety of damages, including:
Medical expenses: Hospital bills, doctor visits, and rehabilitation costs.
Lost wages: If you have been unable to work due to your injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for your lost wages.
Pain and suffering: Physical pain and emotional distress.
Property damage: If your bicycle or other property was damaged in the accident, you might be entitled to compensation for the repair or replacement costs.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Santa Ana
There are a number of reasons why bicycle accidents occur in Santa Ana. However, the most common causes are as follows:
- Impaired driving: Drivers who operate their vehicles under the influence of alcohol or drugs put others on the roadway in great danger. When drivers are under the influence, it is common not to notice pedestrians or bicyclists on the roadway.
- Negligent drivers: Many bicycle accidents are caused by drivers who are negligent or reckless. This can include distracted driving, drunk driving, or failure to yield the right of way to bicyclists.
- Distracted driving: When drivers choose to talk on a hand-held cell phone or text while driving, there is an increased risk of them swerving into a bicyclist and causing a serious injury accident. There have also been cases where distracted or inattentive motorists have swerved into bike lanes and struck bicyclists.
- Failure to yield: Under California law, bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of other vehicles. This means that bicyclists are required to yield the right-of-way to other vehicles when appropriate, and other drivers are required to yield the right-of-way to bicyclists when appropriate. But, motorists often do not consciously look out for bicyclists when they turn at a street intersection or when they pull out of a driveway or parking lot. Such acts of negligence can result in major injuries or even death for bicyclists.
- Dangerous roadways: A roadway can become dangerous for bicyclists when they lack visibility due to poor design. Defective roadways, such as streets ridden with potholes, can pose a significant danger to bicyclists. If a dangerous or defective roadway causes a bicycle accident, the city or governmental agency responsible for maintaining the roadway can be held liable for the bicyclist’s injuries and damages.
- Defective or malfunctioning bicycles: In some cases, accidents may be caused by a defect in the bicycle itself.
Causes of Bike Injuries in Santa Ana
Specifically, there can be a consistency of injuries relating to common causes of bicycle accidents. According to the National Survey on Bicyclists and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors, nearly a third of all injuries are caused when bicyclists are struck by cars.
- 29% – Hit by car
- 17% – Falls
- 13% – Roadway/walkway not in good condition
- 13% – Rider error/not paying attention
- 7% – Crashed/collision
- 4% – Dog ran out
- 17% – other
Hazardous situations can present themselves when you least expect them and cause serious injury or death. Even when you are already being cautious and preparing yourself for sudden hazards, you may not be able to control the sudden situation’s outcome.
Bicycle Accident Statistics including California
Until you see the facts, you don’t quite understand the full extent of how dangerous riding a bike can be, especially when surrounded by speeding vehicles zipping by just feet and possibly inches away.
- Based on the research, estimated bicyclist injuries and deaths vary, but according to NHTSA, 932 cyclists were killed in 2020, an increase of 8.9% over the previous year.
- Fatality averages have dropped, but injuries have increased.
- Wearing a bicycle helmet reduces the risk of injury by 60%.
- California came in #10 for the most dangerous state for bike riders and #6 for the highest fatalities.
Although sharing the road with bicyclists and pedestrians is becoming more and more common and better respected, there are still reckless, distracted, and dangerous drivers that pose a significant threat to the vulnerable neighbors on the road.
To learn more about bicycling and pedestrian data, laws, statistics, and information, visit PedBikeInfo.org.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a bike crash, contact one of our highly experienced Santa Ana Bicycle Accident Lawyers at 949-203-3814 and get a free consultation.
Bicycle Accident Wrongful Death Case
When a bicyclist is killed due to negligence or wrongdoing, the deceased victim’s family can file what is known as a wrongful death claim against the at-fault party.
Family members may ask for compensation for damages, including medical and funeral costs, loss of future income and benefits, and loss of love, care, and companionship. A wrongful death case is a civil action and is different from any criminal proceedings that may occur in connection with the incident.
For example, if the at-fault driver is facing manslaughter charges, a conviction on those criminal charges does not guarantee monetary compensation for the victim’s family. They may only obtain compensation by filing a bicycle wrongful death claim against the at-fault party in a civil court.
Choosing the Right Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Choosing an experienced and qualified Santa Ana bicycle accident lawyer is essential if you decide to pursue a claim for damages. Your lawyer will be able to guide you through the legal process and help you to maximize your chances of success. Some things to consider when choosing an attorney include the following:
Experience: Look for an attorney who has experience handling bicycle accident cases in Santa Ana. We have over four decades of representing personal injury clients with a 99% success rate.
Case results: Look for a law firm with a track record of success in obtaining favorable client outcomes. We have recovered over $800M for our clients.
Communication: Make sure that the lawyer you choose is easy to communicate with and responsive to your needs. Our firm has a successful track record of providing superior service. We continually train our legal teams to communicate with our clients with all updates to their cases.
Contact Our Santa Ana Bike Accident Lawyers
The experienced Santa Ana bicycle accident lawyers at Bisnar Chase have a long and successful track record of securing compensation for injured victims and their families. We will remain on your side, fight for your rights and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries, damages, and losses. We are familiar with all Orange County courts and defense teams.
Please call us at 949-203-3814 for a Free, Comprehensive, and Confidential Consultation.