Santa Ana Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Vehicles must share the road with cyclists. Even if you were told you were at fault, a vehicle must still obey traffic laws to avoid injury. If you've been injured in a bike accident you may be entitled to compensation. The bicycle accident attorneys of Bisnar Chase are experienced and aggressive. We've collected over $300 Million for our clients. Call our highly skilled accident lawyers at 949-203-3814 for a free consultation.
We may be able to recover damages for you including your medical bills. Our Santa Ana personal injury attorneys have been helping Orange County residents for decades. We have a team of 6 trial attorneys who will fight for you -- not just settle! Call 949-203-3814 for a free consultation.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
There are a number of reasons why bicycle accidents occur in Santa Ana. However, the most common causes are as follows:
- Impaired driving: Drivers who operate their vehicles under the influence of alcohol or drugs put others on the roadway in great danger. When drivers are under the influence, it is common for them not to notice pedestrians or bicyclists on the roadway.
- Distracted driving: When drivers choose to talk on a hand-held cell phone or text while driving, there is an increased risk of them swerving into a bicyclist and causing a serious injury accident. There have also been cases where distracted or inattentive motorists have swerved into bike lanes and struck bicyclists.
- Failure to yield: Under California law, bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of other vehicles. This means that bicyclists are required to yield the right-of-way to other vehicles when appropriate and other drivers are required to yield the right-of-way to bicyclists when appropriate. But, often, motorists do not consciously look out for bicyclists when they make a turn at a street intersection or when they pull out of a driveway or parking lot. Such acts of negligence can result in major injuries or even death for the bicyclists.
- Dangerous roadways: A roadway can become really dangerous for bicyclists when they lack visibility due to poor design. Defective roadways such as streets ridden with potholes can also pose a significant danger to bicyclists. If a bicycle accident is caused by a dangerous or defective roadway, the city or governmental agency responsible for maintaining the roadway can be held liable for the bicyclist's injuries and damages.
Causes of Injury
Specifically, there can be a consistency of injuries relating to common causes of bicycle accidents. According to the 2012 National Survey on Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors, nearly a third of all injuries are caused when bicyclists are struck by cars.
- 29% - Hit by car
- 17% - Falls
- 13% - Roadway/walkway not in good condition
- 13% - Rider error/not paying attention
- 7% - Crashed/collision
- 4% - Dog ran out
- 17% - other
Hazardous situations can present themselves when you least expect it and can cause serious injury or death. Even when you are already being cautious and prepare yourself for sudden hazards, you may not have the ability to control the outcome of the sudden situation.
Bike Accident Statistics
Until you see the facts you don't quite understand the full extent of how dangerous riding a bike can be, especially when surrounded by speeding vehicles zipping by just feet and possibly inches away.
- Estimated bicyclist injuries in recent years averages about 45,000
- Bicyclist fatalities in recent years was 726
- In recent years fatality averages have dropped, but injuries have increased
Although sharing the road with bicyclist and pedestrians is becoming more and more common and better respected, there are still reckless, distracted and dangerous drivers that pose a great threat to the vulnerable neighbors on the road.
Too learn more about bicycling and pedestrian data, laws, statistics and information, visit PedBikeInfo.org.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a bike crash, contact one of our highly experienced Santa Ana Bicycle Accident Attorneys at 949-203-3814 and get a free consultation.
Bicycle Accident Wrongful Death
When a bicyclist is killed as a result of negligence or wrongdoing, the family of the deceased victim can file what is known as a wrongful death claim against the at-fault party.
Family members may ask for compensation for damages including medical and funeral costs, loss of future income and benefits and loss of love, care and companionship. A wrongful death case is a civil action and is different from any criminal proceedings that may occur in connection with the incident.
For example, if the at-fault driver is facing manslaughter charges, a conviction on those criminal charges does not guarantee monetary compensation for the victim's family. They may only obtain compensation by filing a bicycle wrongful death claim against the at-fault party in a civil court.
How a Bicycle Accident Attorney Can Help
The experienced Santa Ana bicycle accident lawyers at Bisnar Chase have a long and successful track record of securing compensation for injured victims and their families. We will remain on your side, fight for your rights and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries, damages and losses.
Please call us at 949-203-3814 for a Free, Comprehensive and Confidential Consultation.