DigitDots Magnet Balls Recalled After Four Children Required Surgery

magnet balls

HD Premier has recalled about 119,620 DigitDots magnet balls after four children who swallowed the magnets required surgery.

According to an alert issued by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the problem with these products is when two or more high-powered magnets are swallowed intentionally or accidentally, the magnets can attract and become lodged in the digestive system, causing extreme dangers.

DigitDots Magnet Balls Have Been Lethal

When the DigitDots magnet balls become stuck in a person’s system, it could result in severe injuries and complications such as perforations, twisting or blockage of intestines, infection, blood poisoning, and even death. The CPSC has issued a warning and says it is aware of reports of children and teens ingesting other companies’ high-powered magnets and requiring surgery. Two such incidents have already resulted in deaths.

The recalled DigitDots magnets were sold online at ilovedigitdots.com, amazon.com, and other websites from March 2019 through January 2022 for between $20 and $30. The company is asking consumers to stop using these recalled magnets right away.  People should take any DigitDots magnet balls away from children and contact HD Premier to receive a pre-paid label to return the recalled products for a refund.

Protecting Your Children

The American Academy of Pediatrics urges families with children not to have high-powered magnet sets in their homes. If you do have them, keep them away from young children. If your child has toys with magnets, check for cracks where a magnet could come loose. Do not purchase magnets in large sets. It can be difficult to tell if some have gone missing. Talk to older children and teens about the serious risks of using fake magnetic piercings in their mouths and noses. These are typically made with high-powered magnets that could be accidentally swallowed or inhaled.

Some of the common symptoms that your child may have ingested high-powered magnets include fever, vomiting, and abdominal pain. If you think your child has swallowed or been injured by a magnet, contact your pediatrician or the closest emergency department immediately. Your child may need surgery. Putting off medical attention or care could lead to severe internal injuries or even death.

If your child has suffered injuries as a result of defective or recalled products, such as the DigitDots magnet balls, you may be able to seek compensation for injuries and losses including medical expenses, cost of surgery, pain and suffering, and wrongful death. An experienced product defect lawyer can help you better understand your legal rights and options.

 

Source: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/HD-Premier-Recalls-DigitDots-Magnetic-Balls-Due-to-Ingestion-Hazard

FREE Case Evalution

Our staff will evaluate your case submission and respond in a timely manner.

California Personal Injury Blog