California Child Injury Attorney
Children who have suffered at the hands of negligent party deserve to be compensated for their devastating injuries. If a child has experienced serious physical or emotional harm, these ailments can lead to long-lasting disabilities. The California Child Injury Lawyers of Bisnar Chase are passionate about winning the finances your child needs to heal from a traumatic incident.
Since 1978, Bisnar Chase's Personal Injury Law Firm has been dedicated to earning the maximum compensation our accident clients need to recover. We have obtained a 99% success rate at winning cases and show no signs of stopping.
If your child has been wronged due to someone's carelessness contact the California Child Injury Attorneys of Bisnar Chase for a free consultation at 949-203-3814. You shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for your child's medical expenses.
Contact the law group of Bisnar Chase and speak to a top-notch legal expert today.
California Child Injury Statistics
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention reported that 12,175 minors died from accidental injuries. Types of injuries that led to these deaths included vehicle collisions, pedestrian accidents and also bike crashes. The primary cause of deaths for children 1-4 was suffocation and drowning.
In California alone, exactly 35,277 children and teenagers were admitted to the emergency room. Studies show that different age groups suffer from specific injuries. For example, the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health stated that it is common for children ages 5-9 to suffer from injuries sustained on a playground. The main cause of injuries for adolescents was associated with car crashes.
9 Common Child Accident Injury Claims
A child suffering from a catastrophic injury can damage a family entirely. Many children experience great pain and suffering from the incident and may be affected for years to come. Many families are confused about whether or not their child has a case though. When you speak to a California child injury attorney they can offer you legal advice on your child's accident case.
Common child injury claims are:
- Defective products: The Consumer Product Safety Commission stated that there were 251,700 toy-related injuries that took place in one year. The types of injuries that were caused by these toys included fractures, sprains, cuts and contusions. Reports have also concluded that choking hazards are one of the most frequent incidents that take place amongst children ages four and younger. Compartment wrote that "Any toy that is small enough to fit through a 1-1/4-inch circle or is smaller than 2-1/4 inches long is unsafe for children under 4 years old." Children's products that are defective are not always associated with toys. At times, they are related to products that were intended to keep the child safe such as flotation devices.
- Car accidents: The stature and the height of a child make them vulnerable to multiple catastrophic injuries in a vehicular collision. Data provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety concluded that 677 children lost their lives in car crashes. Taking precautions for keeping your kids safe in a motor vehicle is important. Experts say that parents should pay attention to the expirations of car seats, always put a seatbelt on your child when driving and never leave your child alone in a car especially in hot weather. Parents or guardians who lose a child due to their own negligence can be charged with manslaughter or a family member can file a wrongful death claim against them.
- Bicycle collisions: Stanford Children's Health reported that in one year 254,000 children were injured in bicycle-related accidents. Each year over 100 children are killed in bike collisions as well. There are multiple factors that can cause a child to be injured in a bicycle accident. Some of these causes include a car rear-ending a bicycle, drivers turning right and into the bike lane and also distracted driving. Small children who are still learning how to ride a bicycle should be supervised by a parent. Parents should also make sure that their children have the proper safety gear such as a helmet when riding a bicycle.
- Swimming pool accidents: According to the CPSC, in one year over 148 children drowned in swimming pools. California is one of the states with the most fatalities in the summer. Most of the victims who died due to swimming pool accidents were ages 1-3 years old. It only takes a few minutes for a child to lose their life when drowning. At times it can take 20 seconds or less for a toddler to drown. Experts suggest that if your child is still learning how to swim putting a life vest won't suffice. Be in the pool with them in order to ensure that they are safe in the water. Parents can take their children to swimming lessons as early as six months old.
- School bus collisions: Most school bus injuries that children experience are not when the bus is in route. Children are more likely to experience injuries by coming off and on a bus. Most children when getting off the bus do not use the rails to retain a steady balance. Since the stairs of a bus are steep then this can lead to a small child slipping and falling. Injuries that children can sustain when boarding the bus or coming off of a bus include sprains, broken bones or depending on the severity of the fall, brain damage.
- Playground injuries: The number one cause for playground injuries are falls. To prevent serious injuries such as head injuries, playgrounds are suggested to have surfaces that can cushion a fall. Ground surfaces like mulch, wood chips or sand make for a safer environment for a playground. There are instances when a city has been negligent or careless with playground equipment. Public parks should make sure that all playground equipment is well-maintained and safe to play on. For example, if a child falls off of a swing due to the chains being rusted and weak, the parents of the child can file an injury claim on their behalf.
- Medical Malpractice: Parents take their children to doctors trusting that their children will receive the best medical care and treatment. There are times that when a child is treated for an ailment though, that child's condition worsens. Pediatric malpractice involves a child suffering from injuries or losing their life due to the negligence of medical care professional. Medical care professionals do not only include doctors but also can include nurses. One of the most common types of medical malpractice claims are doctors misdiagnosing appendicitis in young girls for a urinary tract infection. If you believe that your child has been wronged due to a misdiagnoses speak to a child injury lawyer for information.
- Dog bites: Dogs can be very unpredictable at times especially if the dog has not been trained or socialized at a young age. Over 300,000 children are admitted to the emergency room with severe dog bite injuries. Children who suffer from animal attacks can be left with serious scarring, dismembered limbs and if the child is in infancy can even be killed by a dog. Two-year-olds are the biggest demographic to be attacked by dogs. Animals are less likely to be aggressive towards a child if they are accompanied by an adult. Do not leave a child unsupervised with a dog it is not familiar with.
- Poisoning accidents: Poisoning among children ages 1-3 years old is very common. Children who are unsupervised can get into cabinets and can either ingest or spray themselves accidentally with a toxic chemical. Sometimes children are poisoned due to unknown substances being in the air. Common chemicals that children are usually poisoned by are pain-relieving medications, paint primers, cleaning products such as bleach and other household products such as pesticides or even essential oils. If you believe your child has been poisoned seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms that your child has been poisoned include vomiting, fainting or if they are expressing severe pain in their abdomen.
Child Injury Prevention
Although accidents do happen and a child sustaining an injury can be out of a person's control it does not mean that one should not take preventive measures to protect a child. Since children are not fully developed their injuries can be life-threatening and may follow them later down the road. Depending on the location and situation there are steps you can take to make sure your child is safeguarded.
- Do not leave your child unsupervised
- Safeguard an area (such as a pool) with a fence
- Make sure the location in which your child is playing in is safe
- Dangerous objects such as sharp objects and chemicals need to be locked away
- Have fire alarms installed in your home
- Use the correct car seat appropriate for your child's age
If Your Child Was Injured in California...
Fighting for compensation for a minor differs from that of an adult. There are certain aspects that are unique to a California child injury case lawsuit. First off, a child can not file a claim for themselves. Parents or a guardian would have to pursue legal action on the behalf of a minor who is 18 years or younger. If the parent was involved in the incident along with the child then the parents would need to file a separate legal claim.
The parent also has up to only two years to file a claim for their child. The sooner you hire a child injury lawyer though the sooner you can receive compensation for medical bills and the lost wages you experienced from taking time off of work to care for your child.
There is not a set settlement amount that a child will receive after a harmful incident. Elements that will be factored into the winnings include whether the child's injuries will affect them later on in life, if the child will require continuous care because of these injuries and will the injuries eliminate their ability to financially support themselves in adulthood.
Contact the California Child Injury Lawyers of Bisnar Chase
For over 40 years, our personal injury lawyers have been winning millions of dollars for child injury lawsuits. At the law firm of Bisnar Chase, we believe that irresponsible entities should compensate seriously injured children. Our child accident lawyers have sustained a 99% success rate at earning compensation for accident victims and we make sure our clients are aware of what is happening in their children's case every step of the way.
Our Mission Statement: "To provide superior client representation in a compassionate and professional manner while making our world a safer place."
Call our law offices today to get free legal advice on your child's injury claim. Contact us at 949-203-3814.
Don't wait, seek justice and start fighting for what your child deserves today.
Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys
1301 Dove St, #120
Newport Beach, CA 92660