San Diego Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Please contact the San Diego Pedestrian Accident Lawyers of Bisnar Chase at 1-800-561-4887 for a free consultation on your pedestrian accident case.
The experienced pedestrian collision attorneys at Bisnar Chase have a long and successful track record of protecting the rights of injured victims and their family members. We will fight against the at-fault parties in order to help you recover the compensation you deserve for your significant losses.
Be it negligent motorists or governmental entities, we will take on any opposition no matter the size to win you the settlement you deserve. We are personal injury lawyers and we will fight for you.
San Diego Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to the California Highway Patrol's Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System report, there were 55 fatalities and 888 injuries reported as a result of San Diego pedestrian accidents. During that same year, 26 people were killed and 468 others were injured in San Diego pedestrian accidents.
The cost of a San Diego pedestrian accident may add up very quickly in terms of medical bills, lost income, hospitalization costs and physical therapy bills, which may not even be covered by health insurance. When a pedestrian accident is caused by someone else's negligence or wrongdoing, it is important that injured victims understand their legal rights and options.
Top 5 Causes for San Diego Pedestrian Accidents
Factors such as distracted driving and not adhering to traffic signals can cause a devastating pedestrian accident, car accident and even a wrongful death.
All pedestrian accidents could have serious consequences. However, there are some pedestrians, who are particularly at risk:
- Drunk pedestrians: The Governors Highway Safety Council reports that one-third of pedestrians killed nationwide had a blood alcohol level of .08 percent or higher at the time of the crash. Approximately half of the fatally injured pedestrians who were between the ages of 24 and 34 at the time of their accident were intoxicated.
- Elderly pedestrians: According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), pedestrians ages 65 and older accounted for 19 percent of all fatally injured pedestrians and 11 percent of all pedestrian injuries reported.
- Children: The CDC reports that nearly one in every five children between the ages of 5 and 9 who were killed in traffic accidents in one year were pedestrians.
- Speeding: Fatal pedestrian accidents typically involve vehicles moving at a high rate of speed. Pedestrians would be well advised to only cross at intersections and areas specially designated for pedestrians such as sidewalks and bridges.
- Urban areas: There is more traffic and there are more opportunities to suffer an injury in a busy, urban area such as downtown San Diego than outside the city. It is also more likely for pedestrians to be injured at night when a driver may not see them until it is too late.
Common Injuries Suffered in Pedestrian Collision
Pedestrian accidents often result in devastating injuries, especially for the unprotected pedestrian who is struck by a vehicle. Pedestrian accidents may result in catastrophic injuries such as brain injuries, spinal cord trauma, broken bones and internal injuries.
If You Have Been Injured in a Pedestrian Accident...
If you have been injured in a San Diego pedestrian accident, you, unfortunately, may not be able to do anything but wait for help. In such cases, it is advisable to call the authorities and remain still.
However, if you can move without getting injured further, you should call the San Diego police department, collect contact information from the driver, take photos of the crash site and seek immediate medical attention. If you have suffered a significant personal injury, it may be in your best interest to call an experienced San Diego personal injury lawyer like Bisnar Chase before calling an insurance company.
Proving Liability for a San Diego Crosswalk Collision
Getting support for the losses you have suffered in a San Diego pedestrian accident or motor vehicle accident can be challenging. You will have to prove not only that you were injured in the accident, but also that the driver's negligence contributed to the crash.
Was the driver speeding? Were you legally crossing the road in an intersection? Proving liability may require eyewitness accounts, police reports, medical records, photographs of the crash site and a full investigation.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
Many San Diego pedestrian accidents result from driver error, but there are steps you can take to reduce your chances of suffering an injury.
- Do not cross outside of crosswalks or intersections
- Drivers are not consciously looking for pedestrians in the middle of the road
- If walking at night, it is advisable to wear bright clothing and to carry a flashlight
- Make eye contact with drivers before stepping into the roadway even if you have the right-of-way
- If you are walking where there is no sidewalk, walk to the far left of the roadway facing traffic
The Value of Your Pedestrian Accident Claim
Ideally, the driver's insurance company will offer you a settlement that covers your medical expenses and other related damages. If you have been offered a settlement right away, it may be in your best interest to have your personal injury attorney review it before signing any legal paperwork.
It is common for insurance companies to offer inadequate settlements that do not fully cover the extent of your losses. If you accept a smaller and quicker settlement, you will no longer be able to pursue additional compensation even if you have incurred additional expenses.
This is why it is advise to seek counsel from a San Diego personal injury lawyer, such as the personal injury attorneys at the Law Firm of Bisnar Chase, to review your case and get you the settlement that you deserve.
If you are not offered fair financial compensation for your losses, you can either request a larger settlement or file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver in court.
A personal injury claim
is a civil lawsuit that can result in support for your current and future medical bills, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, physical pain and suffering the cost of rehabilitation services
and all other related damages.
Call the Pedestrian Crash Lawyers of Bisnar Chase
The San Diego pedestrian accident attorneys of Bisnar Chase have won over $500 million dollars in compensation for victims who have suffered due to someone else's negligence.
If you were hit by a reckless driver you shouldn't have to pay out-of-pocket for your catastrophic injuries or for a family member's wrongful death.
Call 1-800-561-4887 for a Free Case Evaluation.