San Diego Dog Bite Attorneys
Americans love dogs. The dog population and adoption rates are on the rise, unfortunately, dog attacks and dog bites have increased as well. The experienced San Diego dog bite lawyers of Bisnar Chase have recovered hundreds of millions for dog bite and other victims of serious injury.
If you were attacked by a dog in San Diego or lost a loved one due to a wrongful death from a dog bite injury and need immediate legal help, please call us now to speak with our San Diego personal injury lawyers. We have the experience, knowledge, talent and resources to take on the most challenging cases with the best results.
- There are around 4.7 million dog bite victims every year.
- Of those, over 850 thousand require medical attention.
- The number of dog bite cases has increased 15 times faster than the national increase in dog ownership.
- 10 to 20 dog bite victims die every year, with the majority of them being children.
The state of California ranks number one in the U.S. for dog bites and dog-related fatalities. It stands to reason that your chance of getting bit by a dog in this state is incredibly high. If this happens to you, you need to seek an experienced lawyer in dealing with personal injury concerning dog bites
Why Do Some Dogs Attack You?
There are several reasons for why a dog might become aggressive:
- The dog is in a situation that makes him feel insecure or uncomfortable.
- If a dog was treated badly by a previous owner, it can have trust issues with certain kinds of people, provoking an attack.
- Protective instinct: Dogs are territorial and protective of there environment.
- Agitation. A dog that is being tormented by a small child for instance, might become agitated and bite.
- Fear. If you come across a stray dog and you think staring it down will make it run away, you are risking being attacked. A dog that feels intimidated by a stranger will likely attack.
What to Do if You Were Attacked by a Dog in San Diego:
- If you were attacked by a stray dog the first thing you should do is find out if it belongs to anybody. This is important as you will most likely have medical bills if you need rabies shots, stitches and any other treatment. You should seek medical attention as as soon as possible.
- Call animal control and file a report. It is also a good idea to call animal control or have someone nearby do it immediately if the dog appears to be rabid, aggressive or sick. This is best for the animal and will prevent another attack from happening.
- Take pictures of your injuries and any other damage the dog did to you, your clothes and other belongings.
- If you are able to locate the dog's owner, get their full name, address and phone number as well as any information you can about the dog.
- If you believe you have a legal case contact a dog bite attorney. There is a statute of limitations on all California personal injury cases including dog bite cases so contact a San Diego dog bite attorney sooner than later.
Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys has been taking on dog bite cases since 1978, in the process winning many thousands of dollars in settlements and compensation for dog bite victims. We have the best expert connections, the necessary resources to engage in expensive personal injury litigation, and a reputation that gives us the advantage in winning these types of cases.
Helping San Diego Residents Prevent Dog Attacks
Here are some tips on what to do and what not to do if you happen upon a stray dog:
San Diego dog owners are responsible for their dog's behavior and are required by law to keep them on a leash in most public parks and in the city. Dog owners are also required to keep rabies shots current and are required to have dogs licensed and registered with the city.
If you were the victim of a dog bite and you are unsure of what to do, our San Diego dog bite lawyers can help. We understand the laws that govern dog attacks and dog bites and we have successfully settled many cases.
Adopting Dogs in San Diego
It is in your best interest and your new dog's best interest to train your dog. Dogs need to be socialized around people and other dogs. If you are adopting a dog from a shelter or local pound, make sure the dog will be compatible with all ages of family members in your household as well as other pets.
Get information about the dog's past life when adopting a dog. You might be emotionally attached to a certain breed or look of a dog, but that dog might not be a good fit for your family.
Keep in mind that in the state of California, the dog owner is responsible for his/her dog. If your dog bites someone regardless of the situation or cation you are liable for their injuries. This means your dog will be mechanized and you are subject to fines.
Dog Beaches and Dog Parks:
San Diego dog beaches and dog parks are a great way to exercise your dogs, but dog fights can happen and dog owners can suffer from dog bites while trying to break up these fights.
Here are some ways to ensure a safe day at the dog park:
To avoid a dog bite never try to pull dogs apart when they are fighting. Instead try one of the above.
Immediate Legal Help for Dog Bites in San Diego
If you have sustained personal injury from a dog bite, call us now at 949-203-3814. You may be entitled to compensation. With many years of representing the residents of San Diego, we have the resources and experience to win your case. With $300 million won in settlements and verdicts alone, we may be able to recover money for you too. Call our experienced San Diego dog bite lawyers today for a free case review.