Vehicle Debris Accident Lawyers
Sudden and unexpected debris lying in the road can cause panic and erratic traffic, potentially causing serious injuries, property damage and fatalities, making vehicle debris accidents a highly dangerous and very common situation, and a potentially solid case for our team of Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyers.
Drivers and riders of the road expect clear, open and safe roadways for travel and are dependent on their conditions. During the nighttime and daytime, vehicle debris lying in a lane, off the side of the curb, in an alleyway or even falling from above or below can cause a sudden need for braking, aggressive direction change and even acceleration.
These unforeseen circumstances can cause horrific consequences for safe drivers, motorcycle riders, pedestrians, bicycle riders, animals and even property.
It is advised you contact an experienced vehicle debris injury attorney for legal representation due to these cases involving complicated details and specific laws that can manipulate your chances of winning your case. If you currently have an attorney who is not confident with your case, contact our team of experienced vehicle and road debris car accident lawyers who never back down from a difficult case.
If you have been injured in a road debris accident, call 323-238-4683 for a free consultation with a Bisnar Chase lawyer, and see if you have a case.
What Types of Debris Qualify in a Case?
Roadway and vehicle debris can literally consist of anything blocking the road that shouldn't be. With the exception of living people blocking roadways such as in the situation of a riot or protest, the following can constitute as dangerous road debris that can cause a tragic event:
- Vehicle parts or vehicles including motorcycles
- Trees, bushes and other greenery
Vehicle debris accidents can usually be avoided if safe driving is practiced. Another important factor is making sure when loading up a car with items to be strategic and organized, making sure everything is secure and properly fastened down. Using common sense is a must and but many times the main reason for road debris and road hazards that cause car accidents.
Every day due to natural causes, we experience road debris hazards. Many times a lawyer will deny a case involving natural cause related car accidents because they lack the confidence, skill and ability to win it for you. If your attorney rejects your case, Bisnar Chase will always be there for you.
When dealing with a road debris car accident that is the result of a natural cause, such as a landslide of some sort, consisting of trees, greenery, rocks, dirt and other objects, many attorneys will turn the case down because they feel it is a risky case. Our skilled and experienced team of road debris accident attorneys know what it takes to win a case, and never back down from a difficult situation. To get a free quote to see if your case qualifies give us a call at 323-238-4683 for immediate assistance.
Top 15 Types of Road Debris
Over 25,000 car accidents are caused by road debris, around 80 to 90 tend to be fatal, according to a n ABC7 News report on a AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety study published last year.
The following list is the top 15 most common types of road debris that can cause accidents and injuries:
- Car Parts
- Trees or branches
- Metal Debris
- Railroad Ties
- Construction Barrels
- Hay Bales
- Light Poles
- Miscellaneous Trash
- TV's and stereo speakers
- Moving dollies
What Are the Causes of Road Debris?
There is an endless amount of sources that road debris can result from.
- People loading their trucks with as much furniture and boxes as they physically can so they can make their move in one trip can cause a hazardous situation because items could come un-strapped and fall into the road while driving.
- Construction trucks overloading with sloppy and unorganized loading techniques poses a safety factor for not only unsuspecting drivers behind the truck, but while unloading the truck. Unloading improperly loaded materials can become a premise liability factor and lead to a personal injury and workers compensation case.
- A tree falling in a wind storm, large tumbleweeds and even dirt, mud and rock slides can block entire roads, cover personal property and can even cause serious injuries or fatalities.
- Accidents that causes auto parts and other random items to be dispersed over the road can cause drivers following to suddenly brake, swerve and potentially cause accidents, property and vehicle damage, injuries and fatalities.
5 Ways You Can Avoid Causing Road Debris
There are many ways you can practice safe driving while doing your part in maintaining a safe environment for the drivers behind you on the road. Here are a few tips to avoid being the cause of a catastrophic disaster:
- Take multiple trips if needed: If you are transferring materials that require a vehicle for transportation, don't try and play tetris and load every single item to ensure you get everything delivered on the first trip. Regardless of how snug and tightly you have packed everything, materials may come unstrapped and move around, causing them to potentially fall off of the vehicle and causing a dangerous road condition for the drivers behind you.
- Use appropriate restraints: It is recommended you use properly functioning tie-downs, locking straps and other types of undamaged restraints to keep your items and materials from falling off of your vehicle. Bungee-chords, tape and twine are risky assurances that will not guarantee the items from falling free onto the road.
- Top covers, nets and tarps: Even when your vehicle is not overflowing with materials, there is still a possibility of those items ending up on the road causing a road hazard for drivers behind you. Items such as carpet, cardboard boxes, plywood, drywall and typically flat surfaces that wind is able to get underneath and lift into the air can do exactly that. Using a properly attached tarp, net or top-covering material to ensure flying debris won't be a factor during your time transporting materials on the road.
- Make sure items are fixed in place: Especially items on wheels, sliders or that have moving parts like dressers, skateboards, bikes, desks and other types of furniture, sporting goods, etc.
- Use common sense: Millions of people transport items and materials safely from one play to another safely every hour of every day. While some individuals get lucky, others take the time to strategically load, appropriately strap down and cautiously drive their load to the desired destination. Don't put heavy items on top of light items, don't leave any items hanging over the side of your vehicle, remain unstrapped, or any other potential dangers for causing road debris.
The Reality of Road Debris Accidents
Road debris accidents, injuries and fatalities are not always caused by huge pieces of debris like heavy washing machines, couches, trees and so on.
A 24-year-old was killed when a small piece of metal was kicked up and flew through his windshield, piercing his heart and killing him instantly.
Robin Abel's daughter had every bone in her face broken and was nearly decapitated when a piece of material board flew out of a truck and came crushing through her windshield.
Road debris played a role in over 200,000 car accidents reported from 2011 to 2014, killing more than 500 people and injuring another 39,000. According to AAA, its a 40% increase since 2001.
CBS Evening News published a segment on how devastating road debris accidents can be, and how life-changing they can be.
How To Avoid Road Debris Accidents
It can happen in a fraction of a second, even when you think you are driving safe. Staying aware of your surroundings and what's ahead of you in the oncoming distance.
Here are some helpful tips that could keep you and your family alive and safe.
- Don't tailgate. Give yourself enough room between you and the car in front of you. If the vehicle in front of you experiences a hazard and suddenly brakes, you will have more reaction time to brake, minimizing the chance of being rear-ended yourself.
- Avoid distractions while driving. Don't use electronic devises while driving or become obsessed with what channel you're listening to on the radio. If you are driving with a friend or family member, ask them to adjust the station or change the climate controls. If you are driving by yourself, try and find a comfortable climate setting and radio station you are happy with before putting your car in drive and driving off.
- Keep your eyes on the road ahead and all around. Staying aware of your surroundings can save your life. As daily drivers, we become very comfortable with driving because we do it so often. Being comfortable while driving is fine, as long as you don't become careless and clueless to the dangers around your car, and the danger you pose to others around you.
What Do You Do If You Have Been Injured in a Road Debris Accident?
Seek medical attention immediately following any type of accident. It is always a safe practice to make sure you are alright even if you feel fine.
If you have experience injuries, medical attention will help with your current medical state and will also be an opportunity to document your injuries in relation to the accident. The sooner you can document your injuries the better, because if you have no documentation of your injuries, they never happened.
Photos, videos, eye witness accounts and their contact information, documentation of your injuries and the place, time and how the accident happened are all essential information that will help your case win.
Why Choose Bisnar Chase to Represent You?
If you or someone you know has been injured or experienced damage due to roadway vehicle debris, contact our skilled team of Los Angeles Vehicle Debris Attorneys who have won over $650 Million for our clients. Our lawyers and staff have established a 96% success rate, have over 39 years of experience and know exactly what it takes to win your case. If we don't win, you don't pay.
Call 323-238-4683 to discuss your case for Free.
Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys
6701 Center Drive West, 14th Fl.
Los Angeles, CA 90045