Long Beach Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
Everyone needs a little help as they get older. When we entrust our elderly loved ones to a nursing home, we expect them to be treated with care and respect. But that is not always the case. If your loved ones are being mistreated, you can turn to the Long Beach nursing home abuse lawyers of Bisnar Chase.
Nursing home abuse and neglect happens far more than most people know, or would like to believe. Elderly people are often vulnerable, and cannot protect themselves. If they are subjected to physical, emotional or financial abuse, sexual assault or neglect, it can have a drastic impact on their lives.
Find out how to spot the signs of abuse, and how to take action when your suspicions are confirmed. Contact an expert Long Beach nursing home abuse attorney at Bisnar Chase now! Dial (323) 238-4683, or use the buttons below to contact us and arrange a free consultation.
Types of Elder Abuse in Long Beach, CA
When most people think about elder abuse, they might imagine a carer physically assaulting an elderly person. But that is just one form of mistreatment. There are several different types of care home abuse that you might find at a Long Beach facility.
The cases that are most often seen by our Long Beach elder abuse attorneys include:
Physical abuse can include everything from violent behavior to physical mistreatment which causes harm or leaves the elderly victim in pain.
Examples include hitting, shoving, grabbing, physically restraining, or even force-feeding someone. As we get older, our bodies become more fragile. Physical violence can have extreme consequences for nursing home residents, resulting in anything from bruising to broken bones and internal injuries.
Emotional abuse is often less obvious than physical abuse, but it can still have a serious impact on the elderly victim.
This is a non-physical form of abuse, involving verbal threats, intimidating behavior, forced isolation or humiliation. While it does not result in bruises and broken bones, emotional abuse can leave victims withdrawn, agitated, and in extreme distress.
In contrast with some of the other forms of elder abuse in nursing homes, neglect involves the lack of action in caring for an elderly resident.
Nursing home neglect occurs when facility staff fail to provide the basic or essential services and care required for an elderly person to live comfortably. This can include failing to provide food, water, or medication, failing to provide a clean and hygienic environment or comfortable temperature, and failing to treat health issues or provide safety and supervision.
In extreme cases, sexual abuse of an elderly person can occur in nursing homes. This relates to all mistreatment of a sexual nature.
Nursing home sexual assault can involve unwanted touching, groping, or intercourse, taking photographs of a sexual nature of the elderly person, or coercing the victim into nudity or sexual behavior.
Nursing home financial abuse is all too common, and is essentially a form of stealing. It will involve a carer taking advantage of an elderly person for financial gain.
Forms of nursing home financial abuse include stealing cash or possessions from an elderly person, forging their signature or forcing them to sign checks, misusing their ATM card, and forcing them to sign legal documents for gain.
Each of these forms of abuse can have a severe impact on an elderly person, affecting them physically, mentally, and financially. This can destroy a person’s quality of life.
If a loved one has become a target of such abuse, you should contact a Long Beach nursing home abuse lawyer immediately for expert help.
Signs of Long Beach Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
While everyone has the right to proper care as they age, this is not always provided by local nursing homes. It is important to be on the lookout for signs of elder abuse. It is not always obvious, but there are some telltale indicators of abuse which should raise red flags for concerned family members.
The warning signs will be different depending on the type of abuse an elderly resident is being subjected to. You should look out for physical and behavioral signs, as well as issues with the facility conditions. Red flags could include:
- Cuts, bruises, welts, sprains, broken bones and other unexplained signs of physical harm
- The elderly resident being upset or agitated, or displaying unusual behavior
- Unexplained STDs or infections
- The elderly resident being withdrawn or fearful
- Unsanitary living conditions and untreated bed sores
- Malnourishment and dehydration
- Unexplained bank card charges and changes to legal documents
The clearest sign of abuse is an elderly loved one telling you that something is wrong. Do not ignore it if this happens. If you see someone suffering due to the negligence or malicious actions of others, take action and trust our nursing home abuse attorneys to seek justice for you.
What to Do If You Suspect Elder Abuse in Long Beach
If you fear for your elderly loved one, there are steps that can be taken to ensure their safety and build a strong legal case with the help of our expert elder abuse lawyers in Long Beach.
- Safety is your number one priority. If you have reason to believe that your loved one is in danger, then the most important first step is to help them move to a safer environment. In extreme cases, abuse can lead to wrongful death if left unchecked.
- Document everything. If nursing home negligence or abuse has taken place, you need to collect evidence of wrongdoing. Take photographs of any poor conditions or injuries sustained, keep copies of medical reports and any other relevant documents, talk to other residents, and write down your own concerns.
- Inform the authorities and file official complaints. If you suspect elder abuse, call the police. You can also contact relevant agencies, such as elder protective services, as well as filing a complaint with the nursing home or facility.
- Hire a Long Beach nursing home abuse lawyer. An experienced attorney can help you take on a care home abuse case and seek justice for the treatment of your loved one.
Nursing Home Abuse Statistics
Various studies have revealed shocking statistics relating to nursing home violence, abuse, and neglect across the U.S.
- A study found that nearly 1 in 3 nursing homes in the U.S. was guilty of various violations which put residents at risk
- Upward of 5 million elderly residents across the U.S. suffer some form of abuse every year
- Physical and psychological abuse accounts for 50% of all nursing home abuse cases
- One study found that nearly 25% of nursing home residents have reported one or more instances of physical abuse
- Research suggests that only 1 in 25 cases of elder abuse in nursing homes are reported
These statistics show how important it is to be vigilant, and to work with a skilled nursing home abuse lawyer in Long Beach when your suspicions are confirmed.
Filing an Elder Abuse and Neglect Lawsuit in Long Beach
Whether your loved one is living in a nursing home, care home, assisted living facility or long term care facility, they are entitled to proper comfort and care. If they suffer abuse or neglect, a Long Beach nursing home negligence attorney will work with you to build the strongest case possible by assembling powerful evidence.
The majority of cases are decided by negotiating a settlement. Our attorneys are expert negotiators, highly experienced in taking on defense teams. But Bisnar Chase is also made up of skilled trial lawyers. If a settlement cannot be reached, we will not hesitate to take an elder abuse case to court.
The purpose of a lawsuit is to hold wrongdoers accountable, and to win compensatory damages. We want to ensure your loved one is made whole for the pain and suffering they have endured. At Bisnar Chase, we are passionate about making sure justice is done.
If you want more information on the process of filing an elder abuse lawsuit, contact us now for a free consultation with a specialist Long Beach nursing home abuse attorney.
Finding the Best Long Beach Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Near Me
There are plenty of personal injury attorneys in Long Beach, but we believe that Bisnar Chase can offer you superior representation.
When you are looking for the best Long Beach nursing home abuse attorneys in and around the 90805 area, you should take several factors into account. Look for a law firm which:
- Provides a ‘No Win, No Fee’ guarantee. You do not need to face financial risk due to a lawsuit
- Has a top reputation and a track record of success
- Has extensive knowledge of the Long Beach area, from the courts and staff to local defense lawyers
- Provides compassionate support and is easy to communicate with
Bisnar Chase takes pride in fulfilling these criteria. Our Long Beach elderly abuse attorneys are passionate about helping victims across Los Angeles County, Orange County, and throughout Southern California. Turn to us for expert legal advice and representation.
California Nursing Home Abuse FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Elder Abuse Age Restrictions in California?
Elder abuse laws apply to all victims aged 65 or older.
Who Can Sue in a Nursing Home Abuse Case?
The plaintiff in an elder abuse case could be: the victim or their spouse, a dependent adult, a member of the victim’s family, a relative who has power of attorney or witnessed the abuse, or an heir to the victim’s estate.
Who is Liable in Nursing Home Abuse Cases?
Liable parties in a nursing home abuse case in Long Beach could include: the care facility’s ownership, management, administrators or staff members, as well as fellow residents and third parties. In most cases, a lawsuit will target the facility or institution itself, rather than an individual. Multiple cases of liability may apply.
Free Consultation with Bisnar Chase
At Bisnar Chase, we are proud of the success we have achieved, and the impact we have made on the lives of our clients. We believe in our ability to win your case and maximize the amount of compensation you could receive. Our law firm has an outstanding 96% success rate, and has won more than $500 million for our satisfied clients over four decades in business.
If you or a loved one have been the victim of nursing home abuse in Long Beach, we can help you fight for justice.
Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys
6701 Center Drive West, 14th Fl.
Los Angeles, CA 90045