LA HABRA CONVENTIONAL HOSPITAL La Habra, California
If you trusted a nursing home or assisted living facility to care for a family member or loved one, and now you suspect abuse, you are not alone. La Habra Conventional Nursing Home is part of the statistics of nursing home abuse which has doubled in the past decade alone. Carefully observing our loved ones and their situation while in a nursing home is essential, and when abuse is apparent, contacting a California elder abuse attorney can help immediately put a stop to the abuse and give you the compensation you deserve.
La Habra Conventional Hospital has received serious violations from the health department including severe neglect in terms of both food and medication care and oversight with their elderly patients. Take a look at the list of violations reported by the Department of Health Services:
- Make sure that residents who take drugs are not given too many doses or for too long;
- make sure that the use of drugs is carefully watched; or
- stop or change drugs that cause unwanted effects.
Develop a complete care plan that meets all of a resident's needs, with timetables and actions that can be measured.
- Give each resident care and services to get or keep the highest quality of life possible.
- Give professional services that follow each resident's written care plan.
- Have a program to keep infection from spreading.
- Have drugs and other similar products available, which are needed every day and in emergencies, and give them out properly.
- Keep accurate and appropriate medical records. Keep each resident free from physical restraints, unless needed for medical treatment.
- Make a complete assessment that covers all questions for areas that are listed in official regulations.
- Make sure that each resident who enters the nursing home without a catheter is not given a catheter, unless it is necessary.
- Make sure that the nursing home area is safe, easy to use, clean and comfortable.
- Prepare food that is nutritional, appetizing, tasty, attractive, well-cooked, and at the right temperature.
- Provide care in a way that keeps or builds each resident's dignity and self respect.
- Provide services to meet the needs and preferences of each resident. Store, cook, and give out food in a safe and clean way.
- Write and use policies that forbid mistreatment, neglect and abuse of residents and theft of residents' property.
The aforementioned information is based off data reported by CMS as of 7/29/10.
Citations are issued by the Department of Health Services (DHS) during the annual certification visit.
Citations come in several classes depending on their severity. The state average is a little less than one per facility per year, but ideally, a facility should not have any citations.
- Class AA: The most serious violation, AA citations are issued when a resident death has occurred in such a way that it has been directly and officially attributed to the responsibility of the facility, and carry fines of $25,000 to $100,000.
- Class A: Class A citations are issued when violations present imminent danger to patients or the substantial probability of death or serious harm, and carry fines from $2,000 to $20,000.
- Class B: Class B citations carry fines from $100 to $1000 and are issued for violations which have a direct or immediate relationship to health, safety, or security, but do not qualify as A or AA citations.
This information should not be used as the sole measure of quality of care in a nursing home. It is important to visit potential facilities and evaluate it yourself. La Habra Conventional Nursing Center is part of a nation-wide epidemic of nursing home abuse and neglect. These shameful violations of human rights can be stopped with your support.
Watch these videos to learn more:
Videos Answer Questions on Elder Abuse
The videos listed above explain the basics of nursing home abuse and how to spot the signs. Elder abuse can be classified as a case of neglect or intentional harm. The types of intentional harm in nursing homes include sexual assaults, physical abuse, emotional and verbal abuse, and even financial abuse. Elder neglect can include more passively endangering the patients with inadequate food, medicine, medical equipment, and proper accommodations. This can cause symptoms such as bedsores, malnutrition, overdose on medication or the wrong type of prescription, ulcers, and other bodily injuries. La Habra Conventional Hospital and Nursing Home has shocking neglect in its history.
If you know of someone who has been abused or neglected in an elder care facility, it can be disheartening, but you can get help. At Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys, we believe that nursing homes have a responsibility to provide the care that elderly individuals need and deserve.
Nursing home and elder abuse in California is a complicated matter which usually requires a specialist. With over 30 years of experience, Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys, in Orange County, has had the experience to fully investigate what many miss in order to get the best case results possible for the victim.
Besides helping your loved one recover financial compensation for their pain, you can also improve safety laws in the nursing home industry with your voice.
Call a California nursing home abuse attorney at Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys to get the answers you are looking for. 949-203-3814.