Interstate Route 405 Freeway Accidents
Anyone who lives in and around Los Angeles knows that the Interstate Route 405 Freeway should be avoided whenever possible. It is notoriously slow and congested because of the many injury accidents that occur each day. As a bypass of Interstate 5, it is a major north-south interstate highway in southern California that is often busy and dangerous.
The I-405 is commonly known as the San Diego Freeway. It extends from Interstate 5 in Irvine to where the Interstate 5 travels near San Fernando. It runs from southeastern Irvine northwest through Orange County, to Long Beach before following the Pacific coast north before cutting through the Santa Monica Mountains to the San Fernando Valley. As a thoroughfare for commuters and freight haulers, it has become one of the most busy and congested freeways in the country.
Dangerous and Congested
In fact, The San Diego Freeway was ranked third among the most congested roads in the United States in a 2011 report in Business Insider. According to a Texas Transportation Institute study, the 13.1-mile corridor is so slow that 965,000 hours are wasted on it each year. Of the 10 most congested roadways in the United States listen in the study, seven were in the Los Angeles area. The 405 Freeway is even commonly referred to as the "busiest roadway in the nation."
Traffic congestion is a serious issue on Interstate Route 405 because it can lead to serious injury accidents. Traffic congestion typically results in slower speeds, longer trips and vehicular queuing. There are many negative effects of traffic congestion. Motorists who are speeding or not paying complete attention to the roadway may fail to notice slowed traffic. In such cases, devastating rear-end collisions can occur. Congestion may also result in lengthy travel times that may prove stressful and exhausting. Motorists who are trapped at a complete stop on the highway may become angry and potentially dangerous. In the most severe instances, a driver may experience road rage and begin behaving recklessly by driving over medians and shoulders and through dangerous areas.
Tips to Avoid Devastating Crashes
There are a number of ways in which motorists can help prevent Interstate Route 405 injury accidents:
- Stay Attentive: The flow of traffic on I-405 can change suddenly. It is imperative that all motorists stay alert with their eyes on the road, the mind focused on the task at hand and their hands on the wheel. Distracted driving is unacceptable on such a busy and dangerous roadway.
- Stay Sober: Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol are commonly involved in the most devastating injury accidents on the freeway. Alcohol can delay a driver’s reflexes and make them prone to making dangerous and ill-advised driving choices.
- Obey the Speed Limit: It is rare that drivers on Interstate Route 405 can exceed the speed limit because it is often so congested that speeding is impossible. Motorists can, however, put themselves in danger by traveling faster than the flow of traffic or higher than the posted speed limit.
- Check your Mirrors: When driving on one of the most congested roadways in the United States, it is important to stay aware of the vehicles around you. Always check your rear and side mirrors before changing lanes. Check your blind spots for motorcycles who may be lane splitting as well.
- Keep a Safe Distance from Trucks: There are many large trucks and tractor-trailers on Route 405. Try to avoid the many large blind spots directly in front, behind and to the side of these large vehicles.
405 Freeway Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one is injured in a freeway accident, do not hesitate to speak with the experienced California car accident lawyers at our law firm. Our skilled car accident attorneys will stay abreast of the official investigation to make sure that the at-fault party is held accountable for the crash. Please contact us to obtain more information about protecting your legal rights.