(800) 561-4887

No Fee If We Don't Win

Magnetic Ball Toys Recalled for Potentially Serious Injuries

Magnetic Ball Toys Recalled for Potentially Serious Injuries

A children’s toy that uses dozens of tiny magnetic balls has been recalled because it has the potential to cause serious internal injuries if the balls are swallowed and then link together inside the body. According to an alert posted by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the Mag Cube magnetic ball sets were sold under various names on from March 2018 through December 2019 for between $13 and $20.

Details of the Recall

The CPSC has said the high-powered magnets violate federal standards for children’s toys. They are extremely dangerous. If two or more balls are swallowed, they can link together in the intestine or clamp on to body tissues causing intestinal obstructions, perforation, sepsis or even death. So far, there have been no reported injuries from this recall, but there have been incidents in the past involving high-powered magnets leading to injuries or deaths in children who have swallowed them.

The Mag Cubes were labeled as “3D Magnetic Puzzle,” “MagCube Buckyballs” and “Joynote” with the words “Mag Cube” on the back of the box. The sets contain 216 magnets each – some gold and others multi-colored. The toys were recommended for children 14 and older. Consumers are urged to take these toys away from their children. Those who have these toys may also contact the company, Sobeauty, Inc. at 844-946-7437 for details about returning them for a refund.

Protecting Children from Dangers

These magnets can cause significant internal injuries or even deaths. Here are a few steps you can take to protect your children:

  • Keep products with small or loose magnets away from young children who might swallow them.
  • Closely monitor loose magnets and other magnetic products to make sure children don’t ingest them.
  • Do not buy magnets sold in sets of 100 or more because it can be difficult to recognize if a few magnets have gone missing.
  • Talk to your children and teens about the serious dangers of using magnets as fake piercings in their mouths or noses.
  • The best way to prevent these dangers may be to not buy these products for your children or teens.

Kids who may have swallowed magnets may have symptoms such as abdominal pain, vomiting and fever. Delaying treatment can cause severe injuries to the stomach, intestines and digestive tract. If you suspect your child has swallowed a magnet, it is crucial that you contact your pediatrician or the nearest emergency department immediately. Suppose your child has been injured by these or other dangerous and defective products. In that case, it may also be in your best interest to contact an experienced product defect lawyer to obtain more information about pursuing your legal rights.



FREE Case Evalution

Our staff will evaluate your case submission and respond in a timely manner.

California Personal Injury Blog