Study Shows Vaping Devices Like Juul is Reversing Anti-Tobacco Efforts
A 19-year-old Orange County man is recovering from burn injuries after an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket. According to a KCAL news report, the teen was at work in an Albertsons supermarket in Ladera Ranch the evening of January 4, 2015 when one of the two e-cigarette batteries in his pocket blew up after coming into contact with his keys.
The exploded unit blew out about 15 feet down an aisle at the store. The battery exploded, shot out like a bottle rocket and burned his leg. The victim was transported to an area hospital where he was treated for first- and second-degree burns on his thigh. A co-worker described the victim’s injuries saying the e-cigarette had left a huge black circle, like a rocket mark, on his leg.
Reports of Similar Explosions
This is by no means the first time an e-cigarette has exploded. Last February, a 17-year- old boy was injured while smoking an e-cigarette in Anaheim. In March, a Santa Ana man was injured after an e-cigarette blew up in his hands. The explosion shot the device into the ceiling and started a fire in his apartment. In November, a Florida man was critically injured when an e-cigarette exploded in his face leaving him paralyzed, with a broken neck, facial fractures and burns.
The Danger of Exploding E-Cigs
Why do e-cigarettes explode? There may be many potential reasons. A majority of e- cigarettes are powered by rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. In many cases where the devices explode, the lithium-ion batteries blew up or caught fire. These batteries are commonly found in laptops and cell phones. But, with e-cigarettes, the batteries are more prone to overheating, particularly when they are used with incompatible chargers. It is also a fact that many of these batteries and chargers are made overseas where there is very little if any regulation or quality control. Here in the United States, there is still very little to no regulation of e-cigarettes.
Protecting Your Rights
If you have suffered burn injuries or other serious injuries as a result of defective e- cigarettes or accessories, please contact an experienced e-cig injury attorney who has experience handling similar cases. The Newport Beach personal injury law firm of Bisnar Chase recently filed a product liability lawsuit on behalf of a man who suffered severe injuries after an e-cigarette exploded in his face.
There are a number of parties that could potentially be held liable in such cases including the smoke shop, the manufacturer, makers of accessories, etc. Injured victims can seek compensation for their damages and losses and manufacturers of these defective products can be held accountable for their negligence.