Dry Shampoo Bottle Explodes and Blows Hole Through Roof of Car
A 19-year-old woman in Missouri was shocked after a canister of dry shampoo in her car exploded and shot off like a missile blowing a hole through her car’s roof. According to a report on Today.com, the woman’s mother, Christine Debrehct, said she felt lucky no one was injured after the bottle of Equate dry shampoo blew up in the center console of her daughter’s Honda Civic while it was parked outside her home in St. Peters, Missouri, on Sept. 18.
Aerosol Cans and Heat
Debrehct said she initially thought someone had thrown a brick from above and smashed the car. Then, her daughter noticed white powder scattered inside the vehicle. The canister must have blasted off like a missile, Debrehct said. In a Facebook post about the incident, she included photos of damage caused by the bottle of Equate Tea Tree dry shampoo. The weather in Missouri was hot at the time and the can exploded. It blew the console cover off its hinges, shot through the sunroof and went high enough in the air that it landed about 50 feet away from the car.
Scientists say that a combination of volatile gases such as butane and propane, which are used to propel the product, could build up pressure in the can and that extreme heat could cause the bottle to blast off like a rocket. A warning on the label for Equate says it should be stored in temperatures cooler than 120 degrees. Although it was only 90 degrees in Missouri the day the bottle exploded, temperatures inside the car could rise very quickly. Exploding products could be an unforeseen hazard for drivers and vehicle owners, experts said.
Safety Tips and Liability Issues
It is important to remember not to put aerosols on a bonfire, even when they are empty, because they could explode and cause injury. Keep aerosols out of the sun and store in a cold dry place away from the heat. The pressure inside the can increase greatly and could cause it to explode. Don’t pierce aerosols even when they are empty because there is always some pressure and some product left. It may be flammable or cause injury if you pierce the can. Do not store aerosols in cars because even in the winter, temperatures could rise quickly. It is better to store them in the trunk of the vehicle.
If you or a loved one has been injured as the result of a dangerous or defective product, you may be able to seek compensation for your injuries, damages and losses. Contact an experienced product defect lawyer to obtain more information about pursuing your legal rights.