McKenzie Kinley, 9, of Citrus Heights, was electrocuted in her backyard swimming pool after a pool light malfunctioned. According to a KTLA news report, the Northern California girl died in a Sacramento area hospital after efforts by family members and fire officials to revive her failed. Police said a light fixture in the pool was in the process of being repaired. The light sits inside the water and is not sealed on the outside of the pool. …Read the rest »
Category: Premises Liability
A woman was rescued by emergency services after being trapped in a private elevator in New York for three days. Marites Fortaliza, a 53-year-old cleaning lady, was pulled to safety by firefighters after spending three days imprisoned in the broken-down elevator — in the home of billionaire Warren Stephens.
It happened in an upscale Manhattan townhouse on the Upper East Side where the victim had worked for 18 years. She had been using the building elevator on Friday, Jan. 25 when it became stuck at a point between the second and third floors of the home. The owners, Warren Stephens and his wife Harriet, were away for the weekend, and Fortaliza was left trapped in the elevator with no way to escape or call for help. …Read the rest »
A lawsuit has been launched by the devastated parents of a high school student who drowned during a PE class. Benjamin Curry, 15, was a freshman at San Ramon Valley High School in Danville, California, when he drowned in the school’s outdoor pool. The teen slipped below the surface during a swim class, after becoming fatigued in a water treading exercise. No one noticed him slip underwater and he drowned in the 12-foot-deep pool. Now his devastated parents are suing the school district and their son’s teacher for negligence, willful misconduct and wrongful death. …Read the rest »
A young girl suffered severe brain damage after being electrocuted by a hotel handrail at an MGM resort. Zynae Green, aged just six, sustained serious injuries after touching the rail at an outdoor area of the MGM National Harbor Hotel, in Oxon Hill, Maryland. It sent 120 volts of electricity coursing through her body, sending her into cardiac arrest. The youngster can no longer walk or talk, and it is believed she will be left in a semi-vegetative state for the rest of her life. Zynae’s family is now suing MGM over the tragic incident, which happened in June.
A woman has launched a lawsuit against Disney after claiming to have been ridden with bed bug bites at a Disneyland resort. Dr. Ivy Eldridge, 41, says she woke up covered in bedbug bites while staying at the Anaheim amusement park’s Disneyland Hotel. She needed medical attention for a rash which covered her body and said she suffered emotional distress from the traumatic experience. Eldridge – the vice principal of a school in Riverside – stayed at the hotel in April 2018.
An ex-marine shot and killed 12 people – including a sheriff – in a horrific mass shooting at a bar in Thousand Oaks, Southern California. The shooter entered the Borderline Bar and Grill at about 11.20pm on Wednesday, Nov. 7, and opened fire at the crowd with a .45 caliber handgun. He also tossed smoke grenades onto the dance floor, as panicked bar-goers fled from the gunfire.
The gunman has been identified as former marine Ian Long, aged 28. He killed 11 people and injured about 15 others in the shooting spree, starting with the bouncer stationed outside the bar. The final casualty numbers have not yet been confirmed. Long was wearing a face mask and sunglasses when he entered the venue, and witnesses who escaped the bar said he moved with calm precision.
The heartbroken family of a student who died after choking in a pancake-eating contest is suing her university. Caitlin Nelson, 20, died in March 2017 after her airway became blocked by a mass of pancake during an eating competition at Connecticut’s Sacred Heart University. Witnesses say sorority vice president Caitlin collapsed and started convulsing after eating about five pancakes. Nursing students who were at the event administered immediate first aid and were soon joined by paramedics and police officers. Caitlin was rushed to hospital in critical condition and tragically died two days later.
Caitlin’s family has now launched legal action against Sacred Heart University over the incident. The lawsuit claims that a large quantity of concrete-like pancake paste had to be removed from Caitlin’s airway. It is also stated in the lawsuit that the family wants to improve awareness of the dangers presented by amateur eating challenges and save lives by preventing similar tragedies in the future. …Read the rest »
Six youngsters have died and 12 others are battling illness after a major virus outbreak at a specialist health facility in New Jersey. In total 18 children with weakened immune systems have been struck by a life-threatening adenovirus at the Haskell-based Wanaque Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation. An investigation has been launched into the viral outbreak deaths. Inspectors from the New Jersey Health Department visited the private facility on Sunday, Oct. 21, and raised concerns over “minor handwashing deficiencies” at the health center, according to a statement from officials.
A woman suffered fatal injuries after her car was crushed by a large falling tree in Tustin. Dennet O. Bermas, 34, died on the morning of Monday Oct. 15 when a 40-foot eucalyptus tree crashed onto the roof of her car, according to a report by CBSLA. The incident happened right outside her home, at the Waterstone apartment complex on Red Hill Ave., Tustin. The victim was backing her Toyota sedan out of a car port when the tree tumbled. …Read the rest »
Emeline Grier Miller, the 19-month-old daughter of Olympic gold medal skier Bode Miller, died in a swimming pool accident the evening of June 9. According to a news report in The Orange County Register, the incident occurred when Miller and his wife, Morgan, were at a neighbor’s home for a pool party. According to reports, Emeline somehow ended up in the water. First responders arrived at the scene and administered CPR before transporting the child to an area hospital where she died. …Read the rest »