Boy Suffers Burn Injuries in Orange County Beach Fire Pit
A 9-year-old boy suffered second- and third-degree burn injuries on one of his legs after he stepped into a fire pit at a beach in San Clemente the evening of August 4, 2017. According to a news report in The Orange County Register, firefighters responded to the call that came from T-Street Beach. It is not clear at this point why the boy stepped into the fire pit. He suffered burns on his right foot and leg. The boy was airlifted to an area trauma center with what officials said were non-life-threatening injuries.
It is indeed fortunate and this child did not suffer major or life threatening injuries. We wish him the very best for a speedy and complete recovery.
Fire Pit Dangers
According to the United States Fire Administration (USFA), about 5,000 Americans are injured by charcoal, wood-burning or propane gas fires. Fire pits are included among this statistic and come with many safety risks. Despite being covered in sand, fire pits could still smolder for up to 24 hours. This could cause the heat to be locked up even if the flames are out. Each summer, a number of people, mostly children, are injured in fire pits on the beach and in backyards.
Steps to Exercise Care
If you are heading to the beach or to the fire pits, there are several steps you can take in order to lessen the risk of fire pit burn injuries:
- Don’t bury hot charcoals in the sand. It might put out the flames, but the coals can smolder for up to 24 hours, posing a danger. Sand-covered coals are a hidden hazard especially to kids who may view a fire pit as a sandbox.
- To safety extinguish coals, drench them in water, wait five minutes and drench them again. If the water is not available, simply let the coals burn out without burying them.
- Be very aware of your environment, especially when there are children around. Treat fire pits like you would treat a swimming pool. Exercise similar caution with kids around.
- Always assume there are hot coals at the bottom of a fire pit.
If someone has been burned by hot coals, do not put ice on the skin. This could cause damage, especially in children whose skin tends to be thinner than adults’ skin. Rinse the burn with cool water and cover it with a cool washcloth or towel. Take the victim right away to the nearest emergency room.
If you believe someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing has caused the injury, contact an experienced Orange County personal injury lawyer who can help you better understand your legal rights and options.