Yorba Linda Dog Bite Lawyers
It is possible to suffer serious and life-threatening injuries in an Orange County dog bite incident. Depending on the size and strength of the dog, the physical and emotional injuries suffered can negatively affect the victim’s quality of life. Compensation for these types of injuries is available to victims under California law. An experienced Yorba Linda dog bite lawyer can help victims get the compensation and support they need in order to recover from their serious injuries.
Certain dogs, such as pit bulls and rottweilers, have extremely powerful jaws and sharp teeth. It could take as little as one bite to do significant damage. Common physical injuries suffered in Yorba Linda dog bite incidents include:
- Puncture wounds: A dog’s sharp teeth can cause serious puncture wounds. This type of injury may only require cleaning, but in many cases, it requires more medical procedures such as stitches.
- Lacerations: When a dog jerks its mouth after biting down, it is possible for the skin to tear. These types of injuries can be quite extensive and require skin grafting. Deep and substantial laceration injuries may never again look the same and the damaged nerves may never fully heal. When this type of injury occurs on the wrist or the neck there is the potential for a major artery to get cut resulting in a loss of blood that can be life threatening.
- Broken bones: Powerful and large dogs have the potential to actually fracture bones when they bite down. Victims may require complicated surgical procedures and physical therapy to recover strength and physical ability in the traumatized area.
- Sprains and strains: Muscles and joints can be seriously hurt during the confrontation. In self-defense, victims may fall down, they may be dragged and they may have to kick and punch.
- Scars: Anytime there is significant damage to the skin, there is the potential for permanent scarring to occur. Many dog bite injuries occur on visible parts of the body such as the head, face, neck and hands. Some scars may be repaired by cosmetic surgery. However, some scars may be irreparable and last a lifetime.
- Nerve damage: Many dog bite injuries include damage to the nerves directly underneath the skin. Victims may lose feeling where the nerves are damaged.
- Rabies: Sadly, many dog owners fail to have their dog vaccinated for rabies. This deadly infection can prove fatal if not properly treated immediately following the accident.
After a tragic, sudden and horrific event, a person can suffer substantial emotional injuries. The victim may feel depressed, fearful or nervous. Posttraumatic stress is common for victims of traumatic events and it needs to be properly diagnosed and treated following a dog bite incident. It is common for victims to be nervous around animals for years after the event and for some this fear is so severe that it affects their day-to-day life. A morbid fear of dogs can affect the victim’s ability to leave the house. In the most severe cases, the victim could become a shut-in for a prolonged period of time. Many dog bite victims require extensive psychological counseling to recover from such severe trauma.
Many victims of serious Yorba Linda dog attacks are left with devastating scars that will never go away. This can affect their social interactions, the professional livelihood and their emotional well-being. It is a fact that our looks and appearance affect our relationships with those around us. Some victims of disfigurement injuries may have to endure staring, pointing, social discrimination, painful questions and embarrassment and even humiliation.
Protect Your Rights
Under California law, you may pursue financial compensation for your injuries from the dog’s owner. The experienced Yorba Linda dog bite lawyers at Bisnar | Chase Personal Injury Attorneys, LLP can help you protect your rights and get the support you need. Most dog bite injuries are covered by the dog owner’s homeowner’s insurance policy. Please call us at 1-800-561-4887 for a free consultation and to find out how we can help you.
(click on icons for more information)