San Diego Dog Bite Attorney
Americans love dogs and with the dog population on the rise, more and more people are adopting dogs. Unfortunately dog attacks and dog bites have also increased.
If you were attacked by a dog in San Diego or lost a loved one due to a wrongful death from a dog bite injury and need immediate legal help, please call to speak with a San Diego dog bite attorney.
- There are around 4.7 million dog bite victims every year.
- Of those, over 850 thousand require medical attention.
- The number of dog bite cases has increased 15 times faster than the national increase in dog ownership.
- 10 to 20 dog bite victims die every year, with the majority of them being children.
The state of California ranks number one in the U.S. for dog bites and dog-related fatalities. It stands to reason that your chance of getting bit by a dog in this state is high. If it happens to you, you need to seek a lawyer experienced in dealing with dog bite cases.
Why do dogs attack?
There are several reasons for why a dog might become aggressive:
- The dog is in a situation that makes him feel insecure or uncomfortable.
- If a dog was treated badly by a previous owner it can have trust issues with certain kinds of people provoking an attack.
- Protective instinct. Dogs are territorial and protective of there environment.
- Agitation. A dog that is being tormented by a small child for instance, might become agitated and bite.
- Fear. If you come across a stray dog and you think staring it down will make it run away, you are risking being attacked. A dog that feels intimidated by a stranger will likely attack.
What to do if you were attacked by a dog:
- If you were attacked by a stray dog the first thing you should do is find out if it belongs to anybody. This is important as you will most likely have medical bills if you need rabies shots, stitches and any other treatment. You should seek medical attention as asson as possible.
- Call animal control and file a report. It is also a good idea to call animal control or have someone nearby do it immediately if the dog appears to be rabid, aggressive or sick. This is best for the animal and will prevent another attack from happening.
- Take pictures of your injuries and any othe rdamage the dog did to you, your clothes and other belongings.
- If you are able to locate the dog's owner, get their full name, address and phone number as well as any information you can about the dog.
- If you believe you have a legal case contact a dog bite attorney. There is a statute of limitations on all California personal injury cases including dog bite cases so contact a San Diego dog bite attorney sooner than later.
BISNAR CHASE Personal Injury Attorneys has been taking on dog bite cases since 1978, in the process winning many thousands of dollars in settlements and compensation for dog bite victims. We have the best expert connections, the necessary resources to engage in expensive personal injury litigation, and a reputation that gives us the advantage in winning these types of cases.
If you have been the victim of a dog attack in San Diego and you need legal assistance, please contact a San Diego dog bite lawyer at BISNAR CHASE.
Helping San Diego Residents Prevent Dog Attacks
Here are some tips on what to do and what not to do if you happen upon a stray dog:
- If you see a stray dog do not approach it. Instead call animal control or someone professionally trained to handle stray dogs.
- Do not run as the dog will most likely start chasing you if it sees you running.
- If the dog is coming toward you do not put your hand up as the dog will assume you are going to hit it and could attack. Instead "stay calm". Do not turn your back on the dog. Go about your business and call the San Diego Department of Animal Services (SDDAC). According to Cesar Millan the best way to ward off an aggressive dog is to "stay calm and assertive". Do not show fear or anxiety. Dogs will attack if they sense your fear. Cesar claims that by placing any object you are carrying out in front of you will let the dog know that you only want the space you are standing in and not his. If you remain very calm and assertive you are telling the dog that you are not afraid of him. "If all else fails lie down, curl up in a ball and don't make eye contact."
- You can take a whistle with you to blow if dogs begin fighting.
- A spray bottle filled with water is also effective.
- You can find a shaker at a pet store or you can make one yourself. The sound of marbles, rocks, or pennies shaken in a plastic bottle will get the dogs' attention. If your dog and another dog start showing aggression towards each other just shake it between them. It will divert their attention.
- Put a muzzle on your dog if necessary.
San Diego dog owners are responsible for their dog's behavior and are required by law to keep them on a leash in most public parks and in the city. Dog owners are also required to keep rabies shots current and are required to have dogs licensed and registered with the city.
If you were the victim of a dog bite and you are unsure of what to do, our San Diego dog bite lawyers can help. We understand the laws that govern dog attacks and dog bites and we have successfully settled many cases.
It is in your best interest and your new dog's best interest to train your dog. Dogs need to be socialized around people and other dogs. If you are adopting a dog from a shelter or local pound, make sure the dog will be compatible with all ages of family members in your household as well as other pets.
Get information about the dog's past life. When adopting a dog, an informed decision is best. You might be emotionally attached to a certain breed or look of a dog, but that dog might not be a good fit for your family.
Keep in mind that in the state of California the dog owner is responsible for his/her dog. If your dog bites someone regardless of the situatuion or cation you are liable for their injuries. This means your dog will be euthanized and you are subject to fines.
Dog Beaches and Dog Parks:
San Diego dog beaches and dog parks are a great way to exercise your dogs, but dog fights can happen and dog owners can suffer from dog bites while trying to break them up.
Here are some ways to ensure a safe day at the dog park:
To avoid a dog bite never try to pull dogs apart when they are fighting. Instead try one of the above.
Why Bisnar Chase?
Experienced San Diego Dog Bite Attorneys
We realize that there are a lot of dog bite lawyers to choose from in San Diego. What sets us apart is our passion, diligence and persistence to get you what you deserve.
If you want a San Diego dog bite attorney that will go the extra mile for you, that is in constant contact with you, that has a no win no fee gurantee, and most importantly has been at the same location for over 30 years and thoroughly uunderstands the dog bit laws that govern California, it's counties and cities, then you are on the right page.
If you cannot get to our offices, a leading dog bite attorney will come to you and provide you with a one-on-one free case evaluation and consultation. You are under no obligation to choose our law firm to represent you. We will give you insight and important information so you can decide what steps to take next.