Defective Drug & Pharmaceutical Litigation Lawyer
Defective drugs and over-the-counter medications can cause life-changing side effects. Large pharmaceutical companies often rush new drugs into the marketplace. Some medications are sold despite lack of proper testing or a comprehensive analysis of potential side effects. In some cases, it is discovered that drug companies knew of possible adverse reactions that they did not disclose to the public. As drug manufacturers rake in profits, the consumers are left with serious medical conditions with which they may have to deal for the rest of their lives. When drug companies manufacture and distribute dangerous products, it is important that they are held responsible for their wrongdoing.
Free Defective Drug Case Review
Call now for your FREE, no obligation consultation.
The Importance of Pharmaceutical Litigation
It is necessary and important to expose drug companies when they knowingly put consumers in danger. Furthermore, pharmaceutical litigation is often the only way for injured victims to receive the justice and financial support they need. Unsafe medications can cause severe medical conditions such as heart attacks, strokes, liver damage, bone density issues and even death. A successful lawsuit against a drug manufacturer can result in financial compensation for all of the resulting medical bills and other related damages suffered by victims and their families.
Do You Have a Case?
Did you take an over-the-counter medication or prescription drug to improve your health only to experience more medical problems? If so, you may be able to seek support through pharmaceutical litigation. There are a number of factors that will determine whether or not you have a case:
- Were you using the drug as prescribed? Failing to follow the directions listed can hurt your chances of receiving compensation.
- Were you taking the medication for the right reasons? Taking a drug for purposes not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) limits your legal options.
- Did you experience an adverse reaction that was not noted on the packaging? This is why it is important to ask your doctor about the possible side effects of drugs and to read warning labels before taking a new drug.
- Have you suffered financial or physical losses because you took the drug? Have you required medical attention or missed work because of your reaction to the drug? These are the types of losses that can be covered through litigation.
- Did the drug company knowingly fail to notify consumers and doctors of the possible side effects? That is a form of negligence that can make them liable for their product.
Many drugs are allowed in the marketplace despite having known, inherent dangers. Some may even be defective drugs. Drugs that have negative consequences that outweigh their effectiveness are often recalled. In the year 2009, the FDA reported over 1,742 drug recalls. A significant number of those recalls were related to manufacturing lapses, a low quality of raw materials, defective labeling and contamination.
Examples of Recent Pharmaceutical Litigation
All drugs have the potential to cause harm, but certain popular medications are known for adverse side effects and negative consequences. Some of the most dangerous drugs that have been recently involved in pharmaceutical litigation include:
- Accutane: It has long been known that this powerful acne medication can cause liver damage and birth defects, but it has only become apparent in recent years that teenagers on Accutane can suffer psychiatric distress, depression and suicidal thoughts.
- Avandia: Used to treat patients suffering from Type 2 diabetes, Avandia can increase the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Fen-Phen: This diet drug was pulled from the market after there were reports of primary pulmonary hypertension.
- Ibuprofen: Motrin and Advil are designed to provide pain relief, but in some cases it causes skin rashes, blindness, organ dysfunction and even death.
- Paxil: This depression drug has recently come under scrutiny for severe side effects including depression, birth defects and suicide.
- Pradaxa: This blood thinner is used to treat blood clots, but it has been linked to serious bleeding and hemorrhaging.
- Yaz and Yasmin: These birth control pills that contain the man-made hormone, drospirenone, have been linked to many health complications including heart attacks, kidney failure, strokes, blood clots and even death.
Receiving Financial Support
There are legal options available for victims of dangerous drugs. If you are experiencing unforeseen side effects, please contact your doctor right away. It may be advisable to preserve the remaining prescription drugs and to keep records of the losses you have suffered since becoming ill. Check the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) web site to see if the drug you were given has been the subject of a recall or warning.
The experienced California pharmaceutical litigation lawyers at Bisnar | Chase have represented those who have been seriously injured as the result of defective drugs. We have what it takes to fight against large corporations and help injured victims and their families secure fair and full compensation for their significant losses. Please contact us at 949-203-3814 for a free consultation and comprehensive case evaluation.