Two Nursing Home Residents Died after Consuming Wild Mushroom Soup
California nursing home lawyer voices his opinion on the tragic death of two seniors who died at a Loomis care facility after consuming soup that was prepared by their caregiver. According to a Nov. 11 news report in the Sacramento Bee, four others including the caregiver who prepared the soup were hospitalized.
Two elderly nursing home residents, identified as Barbara Lopes, 86, and Teresa Olesniewicz, 73, died after consuming soup that was prepared by a caregiver with wild mushrooms. According to a Nov. 11 Sacramento Bee report, the incident occurred on November 10, 2012 at the Gold Age Villa nursing home in Loomis located in an equestrian community along Horseshoe Bar Road. Officials say the caregiver and four others were hospitalized after becoming ill from the mushrooms while Lopes and Olesniewicz died, the report states. It is not clear as to what type of mushrooms were consumed by those at the nursing home, according to the report.
According to an advisory issued by the California Department of Public Health, collecting and eating wild mushrooms can cause serious illness and even death. The California Poison Control System reported 894 cases of mushroom ingestion in 2008. Of those, 499 were children under the age of 6, 358 were treated at a healthcare facility, 72 suffered severe symptoms including diarrhea, 17 were admitted to the intensive care unit, five had major complications such as liver or kidney failure and one died. The state advisory warns that eating poisonous mushrooms can cause severe abdominal pain, cramping vomiting, diarrhea and liver damage. Anyone with symptoms should seek immediate medical attention, officials say.
"My heart goes out to everyone who knew and loved these two deceased victims," said John Bisnar, founder of the Bisnar | Chase personal injury law firm. "My thoughts and prayers are also with those who were sickened by the poisonous mushrooms. I pray for their speedy recovery."
Nursing homes have a responsibility to monitor the health and safety of their residents, Bisnar said. "This includes ensuring that residents are given proper nutrition. It is important that nursing homes train their staff members regarding safe and nutritious food preparation. In cases where negligence is involved, families of deceased victims can file a wrongful death lawsuit seeking damages."
About Bisnar | Chase
The California nursing home neglect attorneys of Bisnar | Chase represent victims of nursing home abuse and neglect and many other personal injuries. The firm has been featured on a number of popular media outlets including Newsweek, Fox, NBC, and ABC and is known for its passionate pursuit of results for their clients. Since 1978, Bisnar | Chase has recovered millions of dollars for personal injury victims including nursing home abuse and neglect victims.
For more information, or for a free consultation, please call 949-203-3814.
Have a question that wasn't answered here?