What Should I Know About Negotiating My Case?
Negotiating a California car accident claim will take some skill on your part. You will need to be aggressive, patient, smart, and composed. When and if you decide to settle your own personal injury claim it is important to keep these eight steps in mind.
- Submit your demand after the adjuster's first offer. Wait for the adjuster to give an initial figure. After that you may demand the policy limit or total your damages and send to the adjuster.
- Ask for more than you expect to get. Be sure to leave room for the adjustor to negotiate you down.
- Ask plenty of questions. Ask the adjuster what his authority is. Get specific figures as to how much he is allotted for each item. Do the math with him to confirm accuracy. For non-economic damages, ask how he arrived at the amount for pain and suffering. Keep notes too.
- Make small concessions. The best negotiators make all their concessions in small increments. This could work in your favor so that you receive a larger overall settlement.
- Be patient. Don't accept or counter an offer during the same meeting. If you try to push the adjuster toward a quick settlement he will sense you're in a hurry and desperate for money.
- Always maintain your composure. You can affect an outcome of a deal simply by your demeanor.
- Refrain from showing interest in the offer. Appear reluctant to settle. After all, California allows two years to settle a personal injury claim.
- Resort to a higher authority. Let the adjuster know that you've chosen not to make the final decision without assistance. Tell him that you will be consulting with a spouse or attorney friend.
By following these eight guidelines you will be on your way to a better negotiation and higher settlement for your personal injury claim. Remember, it is always a good idea to consult with an experienced California personal injury lawyer before starting your California injury claim. The best car accident lawyers will offer a free no obligation consultation.
If you would like to know more about how to go negotiate your personal injury case, please visit our "Do It Yourself Car Accident Claim" page.
(click on icons for more information)