It only takes a moment of careless driving for a motorist to change the life of a motorcyclist forever. Motorcycle riders are put in a position where they have to avoid swerving, distracted and speeding drivers on a daily basis. Anyone who suffers an injury in a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver would be well advised to seek the counsel of an experienced Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer who will be able to help them obtain fair compensation for their losses and hold the negligent parties accountable.
Traffic Violations that can Result in a Motorcycle Accident
Driver negligence is a common component of Los Angeles motorcycle crashes. Here are a few examples of traffic violations that can put motorcyclists in great peril:
- Failure to yield the right of way to a motorcycle rider: Since they are easier to overlook, motorcyclists commonly have to deal with drivers who don't yield the right of way or simply fail to notice them before entering an intersection. According to California Vehicle Code section 21800 (a): "The driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle which has entered the intersection from a different highway."
- Dangerous left turn in front of a motorcycle: This is probably the most common traffic violation we see in motorcycle accidents that occur at street intersections. California Vehicle Code Section 21801 requires all motorists to yield the right of way to oncoming traffic when making a left turn. Unfortunately, some drivers fail to see oncoming motorcycles until it's too late.
- Changing lanes into the path of a motorcyclist: It is common for motorists to fail to consciously look for motorcycles before changing lanes. California Vehicle Code section 21658 (a) states that whenever a roadway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction the vehicle "shall be driven as nearly as practical entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until such movement can be made with reasonable safety."
- Speed: This can also play a part in a major injury or fatal Los Angeles motorcycle accident. According to California Vehicle Code 22350: "No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property."
- Drunk driving: Drivers who are under the influence are more likely to swerve into a motorcyclists, run a red light or fail to yield the right of way. According to California Vehicle Code Section 23152 (a): "It is unlawful for any person who is under the influence of any alcoholic beverage or drug, or under the combined influence of any alcoholic beverage and drug, to drive a vehicle."
Protecting the Rights of Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Victims
Victims of Los Angeles motorcycle accidents may pursue financial compensation from the at-fault driver. In cases involving negligence or wrongdoing, financial compensation may be available for the victim's medical bills, surgical procedures, costs related to rehabilitation services, time away from work and other related damages. A skilled motorcycle accident attorney will consider both the immediate losses suffered as well as the future losses that will be incurred as a result of the accident.
The knowledgeable Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyers at Bisnar | Chase Personal Injury Attorneys, LLP have a long and successful track record of helping injured victims and their families obtain the justice and compensation they rightfully deserve. Please contact us for a free, comprehensive and confidential consultation.
(click on icons for more information)