Los Angeles Bus Accident Attorneys
For Immediate Help with a Bus Crash Injury Call 1-800-561-4887
Thousands of Americans are seriously injured or killed each year as a result of bus accidents. Due to their size and weight, buses can be particularly dangerous when they are involved in crashes with smaller passenger vehicles.
At the same time, when a large bus rolls over or is involved in a violent crash, its passengers may get ejected on to the roadway or suffer other types of blunt force trauma that may even prove fatal. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, an experienced Los Angeles bus accident lawyer will be able to better advise you regarding your legal rights and options.
Bus Driver Negligence
A number of bus accidents are caused by bus driver error or negligence. Bus drivers and bus companies have a legal obligation to safely transport their passengers. There are many ways in which a bus driver's negligence can cause a bus to crash. Some of the actions that can lead to a catastrophic bus accident include:
- Making an unsafe lane change. Buses are large vehicles that may have several blind spots. However, it is the bus operator's duty to ensure that it is safe to change lanes before doing so. Changing lanes without looking properly is one of the most common reasons for auto accidents.
- Exceeding the speed limit. Because of the size and weight of buses, they are often difficult to stop. Bus drivers who exceed the speed limit may not be able to adjust to the changing traffic conditions or to come to a stop in time to avoid a collision.
- Driving distracted. Under California law, school, transit and commercial bus drivers are not allowed to use a cell phone or text while driving. There are other forms of distracted driving that can prove dangerous as well. Any driver who takes his or her hands of the wheel, eyes off the road or mind off the task at hand is considered distracted.
- Failing to stop at a train track. All bus drivers should stop at train tracks to look and listen for approaching trains.
- Driving while fatigued. Operating a bus while drowsy can be as dangerous as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Commercial drivers including bus drivers are required to get adequate rest before they start a shift.
Bus Company Negligence
Bus companies have a legal obligation to ensure that they hire the right people to operate their buses. They should also make sure that their bus drivers are properly trained and supervised. In addition, the responsibility of maintaining the buses also falls on the bus company. Companies should perform regular inspections on their vehicles while paying special attention to the tires and brakes to reduce the number of bus crashes annually.
Injuries Suffered in a Bus Crash
Victims of bus accidents may suffer devastating head injuries, back injuries, neck injuries, broken bone injuries, spinal cord damage, severe lacerations and contusions. It is important that victims seek immediate medical attention to receive the diagnosis and treatment they need to make a speedy a complete recovery. Compensation for losses such as medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering can be included in a lawsuit against the at-fault party.
Contacting a Los Angeles Bus Accident Lawyer
The knowledgeable Los Angeles bus accident lawyers at our law firm have more than three decades of experience helping injured victims and their families recover just compensation for their losses.
We have a successful track record of financially pursuing bus operators and bus companies. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Los Angeles bus accident, please contact us for more information about pursuing your legal rights.
Call 1-800-561-4887 or request a free case review.
(click on icons for more information)