Free Case Review
Call now for your FREE, no obligation consultation.
If you have been seriously injured in a Laguna Niguel motorcycle accident, you may be left with a number of questions. Can the at-fault driver be held accountable? How can you seek compensation for your medical expenses and lost earnings? Every motorcycle accident case is unique. An experienced Laguna Niguel motorcycle accident lawyer can help you better understand your legal rights and options.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to California Highway Patrol's 2009 Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS), there were no fatalities, but three injuries reported as a result of motorcycle accidents in the city of Laguna Niguel. Throughout Orange County, 17 people were killed and 735 were injured due to motorcycle accidents during the same year.
What to do after a Motorcycle Accident
It is possible that you will be incapacitated and unable to do anything following an accident beyond going to the hospital for treatment. If, however, you are capable of collecting information, there are a number of steps you can take to help protect your rights.
- Contact the authorities: Under California law, the authorities must be notified if someone has been injured in an accident.
- Exchange information: It is important to get contact information, insurance details, license number and license plate numbers of all drivers and vehicles involved. If there are any witnesses to the crash, it would be a good idea to get their names and contact information as well.
- Take photos: If you don't have a camera, hopefully you have a mobile phone that can take photos. You will want to get photos of the crash site, the damaged vehicles, the positioning of the vehicles and any injuries you have suffered.
- Take notes: You would be well advised to write down when, where and how the crash occurred for future reference.
- Filing a police report: If the authorities arrive, you should get your side of the story in the report. If the authorities do not come to the crash scene, file a report with the nearest police station as soon as possible.
- Seek medical attention: The best way to increase your chances of a full recovery is to seek medical attention right away. Doing so not only creates a record, but it also shows that you sought prompt treatment to maximize your chances of making a quick and full recovery.
Will I Have to go to Court to Get Compensation?
Ideally, the at-fault driver's insurance will offer you a settlement that covers all of your medical bills, lost wages and other related damages. Unfortunately, many insurance companies deny valid claims and the only recourse the victim has is to file a personal injury claim. A personal injury claim is a civil lawsuit that injured victims of Laguna Niguel motorcycle accidents can file against the at-fault driver. These types of lawsuits may result in a settlement or in a ruling. In either case, financial compensation may become available for all of the victim’s losses.
What's a Claim Worth?
Every case is different. So it is difficult to estimate how much your claim may be worth. You can, however, calculate all of the financial losses you have suffered. Medical expenses, lost wages, cost of hospitalization, surgeries, rehabilitation – can all be included in your claim. An experienced Laguna Niguel motorcycle accident lawyer can also help victims estimate non-economic damages such as pain and suffering and emotional distress.
How an Attorney Can Help
If you have suffered a serious injury in a motorcycle crash, the experienced Laguna Niguel motorcycle accident lawyers at Bisnar | Chase Personal Injury Attorneys, LLP can help you better understand your legal rights and options. We offer free consultations and comprehensive case evaluations to injured victims and their families. Contact us to find out more information and get help on your road to recovery today.