Irvine Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Irvine is surrounded by the cities of Tustin, Santa Ana, Lake Forest, Laguna Hills, Costa Mesa and Newport Beach. Most of Irvine is a broad, flat valley but in some areas there are hills and canyons. Because of its beautiful landscape, Mediterranean climate and lack of rain for much of the year, it is an ideal place to ride a bike. But, when you are in a bike accident, attorneys can be an essential member of your team. Irvine bicycle accident attorneys specialize in recovery and ensuring that you don't have to go it alone. Call 949-203-3814 for a free case evaluation.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
According to California Highway Patrol's Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS), three people were killed and 1,187 were injured in Orange County bicycle accidents in one year. In Irvine, 63 bicyclists were injured in bike crashes during that same year.
Irvine has recently been the site of tragic bicycle accidents. For example, Christian Rhineer, 28, was killed in an Irvine bicycle accident on February 14, 2012. According to a news report in The Orange County, the fatal bike crash occurred at Von Karman Avenue and Michelson Drive. Officials were not sure who had the right of way when a Volvo sedan struck Rhineer.
The Issue of Negligence
Whenever someone is killed in an Irvine car accident, it must be determined if negligence was a contributing factor. What caused the collision? Was the driver speeding? Was the driver distracted? Did the motorist fail to yield the right of way? When negligence or wrongdoing is a contributing factor in a fatal bicycle accident, the family of a deceased victim can file a wrongful death claim seeking damages.
In such cases, compensation may be available for the family’s losses, including:
- Medical expenses and hospital bills: If the victim survived the crash long enough to need medical services, the resulting bills can add up fast. In many cases, the bills from serious or fatal injuries can add up to tens of thousands of dollars.
- Funeral expenses: The negligent driver can be held accountable for a portion of the expenses incurred during the funeral.
- Pain and suffering: Did the victim suffer long after the crash? How has the crash affected the victim's family?
- Lost of companionship: The victim’s spouse, children and siblings can seek support for their tragic loss.
- Lost future wages: A skilled Irvine bicycle accident lawyer can calculate how much the victim would have made until the day of his or her estimated retirement had the accident not occurred.
- Other related damages: Every case is different. Did the victim’s family lose their medical benefits? Was there a loss of inheritance? There are many future losses that need to be taken into consideration.
Protecting Victims' Rights
It is a good idea to speak with a personal injury lawyer if:
- You have suffered a serious injury in an Irvine bicycle accident
- The driver's insurance company is not returning your calls
- You have incurred significant medical bills
- You have had to miss work because of your injuries
- You have been offered a settlement from an insurance company that does not cover your losses
- You have lost a loved one in a fatal crash
The skilled Irvine bicycle accident lawyers at our law have a long and successful track record holding negligent parties accountable and helping injured victims and their families obtain fair compensation for their losses. Please contact us for a free and comprehensive consultation. Call 949-203-3814.