Semi Truck Accident Attorneys Fountain Valley
There is significant big rig traffic in Fountain Valley. A number of these large commercial trucks deliver goods to meet the demands of our communities. While these big rigs have an important purpose to serve, a number of serious injury accidents in Fountain Valley also involve these semi trucks. When a large truck collides with a smaller passenger vehicle, it is usually the occupants of the smaller vehicle who sustain severe injuries.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a semi truck accident, call 949-203-3814 today.
Negligent Truck Driving
There are many forms of negligent driving and they can all have devastating consequences. Examples of truck driver negligence include:
- Driving while fatigued: Truck drivers have a legal responsibility to obey federal regulations regarding how long they can work without proper rest. For example, property-carrying commercial drivers may not drive after 60/70 hours on duty in 7/8 consecutive days. Drivers can restart their 7/8 period after taking 34 hours or more off. These types of regulations are meant to reduce the number of fatigued truck drivers on the roadway.
- Driving while intoxicated: While passenger vehicle drivers are not considered over the legal limit until their blood alcohol level reaches .08 percent, a commercial driver is considered over the limit with a BAC of .04 percent in California. This is because of the substantial amount of damage a drunk driver can do behind the wheel of a tractor-trailer or a large big rig.
- Driving while distracted: Truck drivers are not allowed to text or use a handheld cell phone while driving. Truck drivers who take their eyes off the roadway can easily crush a vehicle by drifting out of a lane of traffic.
- Exceeding the speed limit: Heavy trucks are difficult to stop. Truck drivers who push the speed limit to meet an unrealistic deadline put everyone on the roadway at risk. Truck drivers must also adjust their speed with regard to the conditions on the roadway.
- Failing to yield the right of way: Many truck accidents result from drivers failing to yield when changing lanes and making turns. Motorists can suffer devastating injuries if a truck suddenly turns into their path or crosses in front of their vehicle.
- Proper vehicle maintenance: All truck drivers must perform inspections of their vehicles before embarking on a long trip. Tire failure and brake failure are common malfunctions that result in devastating truck accidents.
Negligent Truck Owners
What are the questions you should ask following a big rig accident?
There are a number of important questions that must be asked following a large truck accident:
- Did the truck owner fail to repair a defective, faulty or worn part on the truck?
- Did the truck have properly working tires, brakes and lights?
- Did the trailer have adequate safety guards and reflective tape?
- Did the trucking company force the driver to push the federal regulations when it comes to hours of operation?
- Did the trucking firm perform background checks before hiring the driver?
- Did he or she have a poor driving record, health problems or a history of committing traffic violations?
Negligent hiring on the part of an employer can play a significant role in determining liability and compensation in a semi truck accident case.
Truck Accident Litigation
Truck accident lawsuits are complicated and challenging. This is because trucking companies have powerful insurance companies and lawyers on their side who often get to the accident scene within minutes and start working right away to protect the company's best interests.
Injured victims need an experienced truck accident lawyer on their side who will fight for their rights.
Please contact us if you or a loved one has been the victim of a big rig truck accident in Fountain Valley.
Call 1949-203-3814 today for a Free Consultation.
Passion - Trust - Results