Slip, Trip and Fall Attorneys Fountain Valley
Neck and back injuries can be debilitating and painful. In some cases, victims of Fountain Valley slip, trip and fall accidents suffer painful neck and back injuries that can significantly affect their quality of life.
Causes of Neck and Back Injuries
There are many hazardous conditions that can result in a serious injury slip-and-fall accident. Slippery floors, cracked walkways and uneven surfaces are commonly involved in these types of incidents. Neck and back injuries can occur when the victim falls violently or awkwardly. A sudden twist or collapse, for example, can result in trauma to the vertebrae or shoulder. It only takes one fall for these types of serious injuries to occur.
Common Neck And Back Injuries Suffered in a Slip-and-Fall Accident:
- Whiplash: This refers to injury to the soft tissues of the neck. It occurs whenever the head is suddenly jerked or whipped back and forth. This sudden and painful motion could strain the muscles and ligaments of the neck beyond their normal range of motion. Victims may experience pain, stiffness and discomfort. Whiplash injuries commonly affect the muscle groups in the victim's head, chest, arms and shoulders as well.
- Herniated disc: This is when discs that cushion the spinal column move out of place. Discs can become herniated (move out of place) or they can rupture (break open) during an accident. Herniated disc injuries result in pressure on the spinal nerves that could in turn lead to pain, weakness and numbness. These types of injuries typically affect the lower back.
- Strains: This refers to a torn muscle or tendon. Tendons are tissues that connect muscle to bone. During a slip-and-fall accident, victims may twist or pull these tissues resulting in a painful strain. Symptoms include muscle spasms, swelling and limited mobility.
- Fractured vertebrae: This is when the bones in the neck or back are fractured, cracked or broken during a fall. This only occurs in the most violent of falls. Victims of fractured vertebrae may require surgery, months of bed rest and prolonged periods of time away from work. In the most severe cases, victims may even damage their spinal cord and become paralyzed.
- Spinal cord injuries: The vertebrae surround and protect the spinal cord. When the spinal cord sustains damage in a fall, the resulting symptoms can be devastating. Victims of spinal cord injuries may lose feeling and physical ability around and below the location of the trauma. Paraplegia is when the victim of a spinal cord injury loses his or her ability to control the lower limbs. Quadriplegia is when a spinal cord injury results in a loss of sensation in all four limbs and the torso.
What Are Costs of Neck and Back Injuries?
Victims often require:
- Emergency room services
- Surgical procedures
- Bed rest
- Physical therapy
- Prescription drugs
- Medical devices
Some victims have to miss long periods of work and others may never again return to work. There are non-economic damages suffered in these types of accidents as well. Victims of serious neck and back injuries are often left with long-term chronic pain. Many struggle emotionally and psychologically as well. All of these losses should be taken into consideration during the claim process.
Compensation for Slip-and-Fall Victims
Our experienced Fountain Valley slip-and-fall attorneys have a long and successful track record of representing seriously injured victims. We have helped victims who have suffered injuries as a result of property owners' negligence. We have also handled cases involving government liability.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Fountain Valley slip, trip and fall accident, please contact us for a Free Consultation. Call 949-203-3814.
Passion - Trust - Results