Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
A number of Fountain Valley motorcycle accidents occur because of poor driving habits and inattention on the part of drivers. It is imperative that drivers remember that they share the roadway with motorcyclists and other vehicles. Failing to yield the right of way, unsafe lane changes, driving under the influence and distracted driving are just some of the reasons why devastating motorcycle accidents occur.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver, please call 949-203-3814.
Fountain Valley Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to California Highway Patrol's 2009 Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS), there were no fatalities but 23 injuries as a result of motorcycle accidents in the city of Fountain Valley. Throughout Orange County, 17 people were killed and 735 were injured in motorcycle crashes during that same year.
What Are Some Steps Motorists Can Take to Avoid Motorcycle Crashes
Car driver negligence is involved in many of the most tragic motorcycle accidents. Orange County motorists can help prevent tragic motorcycle collisions by:
- Changing lanes only after carefully monitoring the surrounding lanes. Motorists are responsible for looking out for other vehicles before making a lane change. It is important to always check the rearview mirror, the side mirrors and the blind spots before changing lanes.
- Only entering traffic when it is safe to do so. Many motorcycle accidents occur as a result of a vehicle entering traffic from a private drive directly in front of an oncoming motorcycle. When this happens, the motorcyclist may not be able to avoid a rear-end collision. This type of collision can have devastating results because the motorcyclist will probably slam into the car or the roadway.
- Staying alert, sober and wide awake. Distracted, drunk and fatigued drivers put everyone on the roadway at great risk. All three forms of driver negligence result in a number of fatal motorcycle accidents each year. Drivers who want to avoid being involved in a collision should put their cell phone away while behind the wheel, focus on the roadway, use designated drivers when necessary and pull over when drowsy.
- Using caution while making left hand turns. It is common for drivers to fail to yield the right of way to motorcyclists when turning left. When this happens, the motorcyclist will likely broadside the car resulting in devastating or fatal injuries.
- Obeying traffic control devices. Many injury accidents occur at intersections when a negligent driver runs a red light or stop sign.
What Are Steps Motorcyclists Can Take?
Motorcyclists would be well advised to:
- Avoid lane splitting. Motorists do not always expect motorcycles to be alongside them.
- Stay within the speed limit. Excessive speed is a common factor in many of the most serious motorcycle crashes.
- Adjust speed to the conditions on the roadway.
- Stay on top of routine maintenance. Having properly working tires and brakes are crucial for safe travel.
- Check for defective motorcycle parts. Search online for recent vehicle recalls to determine if your motorcycle has been recalled or if any parts have been recalled.
- Ride defensively. Never assume that a car driver has seen you before entering traffic or an intersection. Instead, proceed with caution and care.
Compensation for Injured Victims
The experienced Fountain Valley motorcycle accident lawyers at our law firm can help injured motorcycle accident victims recover losses such as medical bills, hospitalization costs, lost wages, pain and suffering and emotional distress.
(click on icons for more information)