Common Food Poisoning Symptoms
What Are The Symptoms of Food Poisioning?
The symptoms of food poisoning may begin within an hour of eating contaminated food or may take up to a few weeks to appear. There are a variety of symptoms associated with food poionong. Each one is different, and each may have different signs of sickness. The following is a list of some of the more common symptoms:
- Abdominal cramping
Although unpleasant, food poisoning will not have long-term or critical consequences if you are a healthy person. If you have certain medical conditions, including cancer, HIV, or diabetes, food poisoning may have serious effects on your health.
What Are The Causes of Food Poisoning?
Food poisoning is caused by bacteria, viruses, and parasites. Foods that have not been properly handled or stored may pose a threat to consumers.
What Are Some Common Foods That May Be Hazardous?
- Eggs that are raw or undercooked
- Raw milk
- Macaroni salad
- Potato salad
- Raw seafood
- Scallops oysters
How Do I Prevent Food Poisoning at Home?
Remember to clean cutting boards, work areas, and utensils during and after food preparation to prevent contamination from food drippings. Cleanliness is an easy way to prevent many kinds of foodborne illnesses. The following are some simple to follow tips to keep you safe:
- Use soap and warm water to wash hands
- Wash hands before preparing food and after touching raw meat or poultry.
- Use clean cooking utensils.
- Wash cutting boards frequently with warm water and soap, especially after cutting raw meat, fish, or poultry.
- Keep hair tied back or use a hair net.
- Wash fruit and vegetables with water before consuming.
- Use a smooth, non-porous cutting board to avoid absorbing the juices of raw meat.
- Cleanse the lids of canned food before opening.
- Wash dish towels in hot water once a week or whenever dirty.
During the holidays it is especially important to practice safe food handling. If you are eating out make sure all poultry and fish is thorughly cooked. Food poisoning from road side restaurants while traveling is very common and can ruin your holiday vacation.
No-Hassle, No-Obligation, Free Case Consultation.
(click on icons for more information)