Are you familiar with the California Dog Bite Law?
Whether you own a dog or not, you should know someone who does understand the complexities of the California Dog Bite Law. Whether your dog bites someone or you yourself are bitten, it is vital to have direction on the situation and be familiar with exactly what to do. The sheer numbers tell you why:
- Every American has a 1 in 50 chance of being bitten by a dog each year.
- There currently are 74.8 million dogs in the USA.
- Center for Disease Control researchers concluded that dogs bite 4.5 million Americans per year (1.5% of the entire population).
- Almost 800,000 bites per year -- 1 out of every 6 -- are serious enough to require medical attention.
- Dog bites send nearly 368,000 victims to hospital emergency departments per year (1,008 per day).
- The number of Americans who had to be hospitalized as a result of dog bites went up 86% in the past 16 years, from 5,100 hospitalizations in 1993, to 9,500. The average cost of treatment was $18,200 per patient. The patients generally were kids under 5 years old and seniors over 65.
- 16,476 dog bites to persons aged 16 years or greater were work related.
- Every year 2,851 letter carriers are bitten.
- Getting bitten by a dog is the fifth most frequent cause of visits to emergency rooms caused by activities common among children.
Note that this comparison is limited to activities that children more or less voluntarily engage in, such as playing sports, playing with animals, etc. Dog bite injuries are not specifically set forth in Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics, Child Injury and Mortality, which states that the leading causes of emergency room visits overall are falls, being struck by or against an object, natural or environmental causes, poisoning, being cut or pierced, and motor vehicle accident.
After a dog bite it is important to receive immediate medical attention. Once you have been injured, it is important that you consult with an attorney. If you are in need of a consultation, we can provide you with a free case evaluation. Call us anytime at 949-203-3814 to get started.
With a 1 in 50 chance of being bitten, you need to have the confidence of Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys on your side. The experienced dog bite injury attorneys of Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys have settled many cases and have satisfied thousands of clients across California since 1978.
If you have a situation of any kind regarding a dog bite, contact us today by dailing 949-203-3814 or fill out our contact form in the left hand column.
Have a question that wasn't answered here?