A small child in Southern California contracted campylobacter, a strain of E. coli, after drinking raw milk.
The progression was simple enough. The raw milk came from a long established producer in California; purchased through a natural foods market in the local area here on March 2nd. By 2 am the next morning the boy is sick. He gets progressively worse and on March 5th his parents take him to emergency. The following day the family follows up with the pediatrician. When the hospital and family doctor lab reports arrive, they agree: Campylobacter strains of E. coli are the culprit. In short order the health department calls to investigate. By March 14, the Natural Foods store called to let the family know that all the stock of raw milk has been removed.
Finally, ten days after the child goes to the emergency room, the manufacturer calls to ask questions. The father, instead of fielding the call, wisely sought our counsel first.
Our initial research noted that very little was in the news about raw milk poisoning. Who knows why certain stories and incidents never come to light in the main media, but in short order we discovered an undercurrent: Read the rest »