Motorcycle riding can be both exhilarating and extremely dangerous. It is common for motorcycle riders to suffer life-changing and permanent injuries in the event of an accident. If you ride a motorcycle in Baldwin Park, it is important that you take the necessary precautions in order to reduce your chances of being injured.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Numbers tell the story as to how cmmon motorcycle accidents can be in Los Angeles County. According to California Highway Patrol's 2010 Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS), one fatality and 15 injuries were reported in Baldwin Park motorcycle accidents. Throughout Los Angeles County, 74 people were killed and 2,637 were injured in motorcycle crashes during that same year.
Preventing Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can be prevented to some extent by taking the following precautions:
- Ride at a reasonable speed. This does not simply mean obeying the speed limit. It also means riding at a speed that is relative to the roadway conditions. When the road is wet or slick, motorists should ride slower. When traffic is congested, motorcyclists should slow down instead of attempting to lane split.
- Split lanes only when it is safe to do so. California law does allow motorcyclists to split lanes, but that does not mean that it is safe to do so. The longer you are riding between vehicles, the greater the chances that you may get hit.
- Always signal when changing lanes or turning. Visibility is key to avoiding an accident. Letting motorists know about your intentions is also an important part of accident prevention.
- Exercise due care at intersections. Motorcycles are easier to overlook than larger vehicles. It is not safe to assume that a driver has seen you or that he or she will yield the right of way.
- Remain focused. Distracted driving is a serious problem in Los Angeles County. Motorcyclists who have their eyes on the road at all times will have a greater chance of avoiding a collision.
- Never operate a motorcycle under the influence. Alcohol consumption can greatly affect your ability to operate a motorcycle safely and to adjust to changing traffic conditions. In the year 2010, two people were killed and 26 were injured in drunk driving collisions in Baldwin Park. Drunk drivers put all motorcyclists at risk and drunken motorcyclists put themselves and others in danger of suffering a serious or fatal injury.
- Use caution while turning. It is easy for motorcyclists to lose control of the vehicle while taking a turn. The same applies to curves. It is important that motorcyclists slow down and exercise caution at turns and curves.
- Be aware of what roadways are safe for motorcycles. Roads with limited lighting, large potholes or uneven surfaces can be extremely dangerous for motorcycle riders.
- Avoid large trucks and buses. Large vehicles have blind spots that motorcyclists can easily hide in. Motorcyclists should try to not follow too close in front, behind or along side the back of a large truck.
Rights of Injured Motorcyclists
The only protection that motorcyclists have between themselves and the roadway is what they are wearing. Even motorcycle riders who are wearing a helmet may suffer a traumatic brain injury. It is also common for motorcyclists to suffer severe lacerations, road rash injuries, broken bones, neck injuries and spinal cord injuries.
The experienced Baldwin Park motorcycle accident lawyers at our law firm have a long and successful track record of helping motorcycle accident victims obtain fair and full compensation for their losses. When negligent drivers or dangerous roadways cause motorcycle accidents, the at-fault parties must be held liable. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Baldwin Park motorcycle accident, please contact us for a free, comprehensive and confidential consultation.
Have a question that wasn't answered here?