Reports Confirm Firework Injuries Are On the Rise - Safety Tips As 4th of July Quickly Approaches
Reports distributed by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) confirm that a substantially higher number of people suffered serious injury and fatal accidents as a result of using fireworks in 2011 than in 2010.
According to the CPSC, an estimated 8,800 firework-related injuries as well as three firework-related deaths were reported during the 2010 calendar year. In 2011, 9,600 consumers were injured and four were killed as a result of firework use.
John Bisnar, Bisnar Chase Law Firm's managing partner, has been assisting injury victims for 34 years. He believes that proper safety precautions while using fireworks may significantly reduce the number of firework-related injuries.
"The use of fireworks on the 4th of July is an American tradition that I am not ready to give up on. More often than not, injuries sustained as a result of the use of fireworks are due to improper safety precautions or haphazardly made products."
"If enough information is distributed to help U.S. citizens make informed decisions when purchasing and using their fireworks, I firmly believe a sharp decline in injuries would follow." says Mr. Bisnar.
2011 Firework Statistics According to CPSC
Of the four people who lost their lives in 2011 firework incidences, all four were utilizing illegal devices. The devices exploded resulting in decapitation as well as severe trauma to the head and face.
The following are statistics provided by 2011 CPSC reports.
- 65 percent of firework injuries were within 30 days of Independence Day.
- More than 50% of firework injuries were due to consumers not using fireworks as intended or unexpected ignition.
- Most often, victims experience firework injuries to their hands and head (face, eyes, ears).
- Most injuries were sustained due to firecrackers, aerial devices, and sparklers.
Firework Safety Tips Provided by Bisnar Chase
- Always use fireworks outdoors.
- Keep a running hose or bucket of water close by at all times.
- Follow the instructions on your fireworks.
- Do not combine multiple fireworks.
- If you are intoxicated, let someone else light your fireworks.
- Do not purchase or use illegal fireworks.
- Do not let small children ignite a firework.
- Wear eye protection and gloves when igniting.
About: Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys, Orange County, CA
Bisnar Chase is a California based personal injury law firm that has developed a reputation as trusted professionals delivering proven results. The firm has been featured on Fox 11, NBC, and ABC. They have produced several multimillion dollar settlements and verdicts for their clients.
Bisnar Chase attorneys assist injury victims in California and defective product victims throughout the United States.
For a free consultation call 949-203-3814 or visit their website at http://www.bestattorney.com.